Help me to choose which to buy

I am a amateur when it comes to taking pictures  but want something with more zoom to take with me to Alaska. I am trying to decide which would be the best to buy

I have a Nikon D3200 camera now wondering if I should buy a lens to fit it like the Tamron 18-400 or to buy a Nikon P900 camera. Which would you choose? I can only buy one.

Can't help with the pros/cons of both cameras, as I shoot with Canon products.

Whether I purchase a lens or a new camera would depend on how often I use the DSLR and how many other lenses I had. If I used my DSLR body extensively and had a couple of additional lenses, I would be more inclined to purchase an additional lens, especially if the bulk/weight of getting the gear to/from Alaska is not an issue.

However, if the weight/bulk of camera gear was an issue, or I was a rare camera user with only the standard lens, I would consider the smaller bridge type camera.

The other consideration is how do you consider your photography use in the future. If interested in developing over the years, I would stick with the DSLR body and purchase additional lenses.

DW recently wanted a new camera for our next cruise, as she has no desire to use either of my Canon 5D bodies, so purchased a Canon equivalent to the Nikon P900 - compact, fairly light and impressive optical zoom.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Can't help with the pros/cons of both cameras, as I shoot with Canon products.

Whether I purchase a lens or a new camera would depend on how often I use the DSLR and how many other lenses I had. If I used my DSLR body extensively and had a couple of additional lenses, I would be more inclined to purchase an additional lens, especially if the bulk/weight of getting the gear to/from Alaska is not an issue.

However, if the weight/bulk of camera gear was an issue, or I was a rare camera user with only the standard lens, I would consider the smaller bridge type camera.

The other consideration is how do you consider your photography use in the future. If interested in developing over the years, I would stick with the DSLR body and purchase additional lenses.

DW recently wanted a new camera for our next cruise, as she has no desire to use either of my Canon 5D bodies, so purchased a Canon equivalent to the Nikon P900 - compact, fairly light and impressive optical zoom.

I really only use my Nikon D3200 when we go on vacations and I only have the 2  lens that came with the camera when I bought it. I wanted something with more zoom that's why I was looking at the Tamron 18-400 lens and I don't want to have to change lens all the time and I thought this lens might be perfect for that.

We are going on a whale watching tour and I wanted to shoot video also I have found plenty of video's about the Nikon P900 for zooming but wasn't sure how good we could video with it. I have also thought about just renting something, instead of buying it to see if I would like it

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Renting a 18-400 lens might be the best option, especially if you don't foresee much additional use for it.

Thank you! I think that is what I'm going to do is rent to try it out before I buy it.

Look into buying used

In Alaska you simply can't have too much zoom, just remember a 400mm on a crop or smaller sensor is a lot of zoom, but they are slow lens so need stabilization and hope you have good light.

I shot with a 70-200 with 2x converter on FX it was way to short for Alaska, LOL