Ketchikan- Looking for Ideas for Shore Excursions, Shorter Port Time

tay393

Hello fellow cruisers,

We will be in Ketchikan in early June and were trying to find a shore excursion that we could do. My mother really wanted to see bears, but it appears that the season to get a good viewing of them is in July. Are they out in June and are there any specific places to see them if so? We also like other wildlife, so if anyone has any recommendations that they can share I would truly appreciate it! 🙂

Bears are around in June, but you're less likely to see them.  They're not very predictable until the salmon open their buffets.  If you don't find an excursion you love, Ketchikan's a lovely place to stroll around town.  There's also nice hiking, or a trip out to Totem Bight on the local bus.

A few pics of Ketchikan: https://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/ketchikan-alaska.html

An a totem at Totem Bight:  https://cruisingalaskaonabudget.wordpress.com/2017/02/19/totem-bight-park-ketchikan/  

We really enjoyed the Bearing Sea Crab Fisherman's excursion on the Aleutian Ballad. It's also referred to as the Deadliest Catch excursion as the boat was on the Deadliest Catch TV show. I think the total excursion time was 3 hours, so that may work. It was also not expensive compared to other Alaska excursions. We booked it directly with the tour company, not through the ship.

In the video below, I interview Michael Briggs who is a director of the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau and also the marketing manager for one of the local tour providers, Experience Alaska Tours and he highlights some of the things to do in Ketchikan, AK. 

When we went to Ketchikan last year our group split up.  I went snorkeling, and the others did the Deadliest Catch tour.  We both enjoyed our tours- they did the Deadliest Catch for Eagle watching, and I got to see a bunch of starfish.  I went snorkeling there because it was the only place in Alaska I could go, and I figured "why not". Each would be ok for a short day in port.

Funny, Ketchikan is the last stop we need to book for excursions during our cruise in August.  Just decided to pop on this section and here it is. 

Has anyone done zip lining here. I really love zip lining, but after doing it in the jungle in Belize, I am wondering if anywhere else would be a let down.  I don’t want to take away from tay’s original post, but my thoughts were zip lining, hiking, or kayaking.

Edited by Joeghartman

On 5/13/2019 at 2:45 PM, Joeghartman said:

Funny, Ketchikan is the last stop we need to book for excursions during our cruise in August.  Just decided to pop on this section and here it is. 

Has anyone done zip lining here. I really love zip lining, but after doing it in the jungle in Belize, I am wondering if anywhere else would be a let down.  I don’t want to take away from tay’s original post, but my thoughts were zip lining, hiking, or kayaking.

Years ago my Husband and a friend went zip lining there, they thought is was great! He has gone is St. Kitts, but this one was way better! They saw bears, elk...

• Like 1