Santorini: Fira to Oia Hike Questions

ninermac

I really want to do this hike and here’s what I’m considering, but first the port details:

Ship is in port 9am to 6pm. Looks like there will be 4-5 ships in port that day, late June.

The wife and I were looking at doing it on our own without a tour. Any recommendations?

Option 1: head up to Fira and once up there start the hike over to Oia. Once there, spend some time and then grab a bus or taxi back mid afternoon. Any thoughts on how difficult it might be to grab a bus/taxi to head back?

Option 2: Head up to Fira and instead of hiking to Oia, take a bus. Then around 12:30 or so hike back to Fira. 

Option 3: Possible to take the speed boat/ferry over to Oia from the Fira port? I figure then we could save a little time and the crowds getting up to Fira?

Thanks.

If it's any help, we pre booked car hire in Fira. Worked out really well, the ship was late arriving and the cable car to the top was empty so we quickly got into the town. They had kept the car for us so we were soon on the road to Oia. Had a good walk round and had lunch then came back through Fira. 

Several years ago DW and I got a cab in Fira and had them drop us about 1/2 way along the walk to Oia.  There are several access points to the trail from the main road.  Tell the driver how long you want to be out there etc and they will put you on the trail.   It was a great plan because we really got the feeling of the hike without being out there for the whole long walk.  Enjoy lunch in Oia at a cliff top cafe and get a bus or cab back to Fira.  Great day!

Please know that the hike is under the full hot Greek summer sun.  Late June will be very hot....bring lots of water no matter how much of it you do!

• Like 1

Not going to give you any advice, but I am going to say that I am thinking on the same lines as you.  We will be there in September 2 pm to 10 pm.  When I do things on my own I always get to the furthest point and work backwards in case of sudden need to seek out a taxi to rush us back.  

My thoughts were that when we arrive we will compare taking the boat to Oia or whichever way up to Fira and then a bus to Oia.  The latter seems to be sensible because then we will get a feel for the journey.  IF we think we can only do half the journey due to time constraints then we could get a taxi half way.  

I do really like the idea of the trail.  

Our ship hours are 7a.m. to 6p.m. this September, so we plan on hiking from Fira to Oia.  I am hoping you

get your answer on how difficult the bus or taxi are to catch back to Fira.

That has been my question also.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:47 AM, ROWSE said:

Our ship hours are 7a.m. to 6p.m. this September, so we plan on hiking from Fira to Oia.  I am hoping you

get your answer on how difficult the bus or taxi are to catch back to Fira.

That has been my question also.

Hello - I am researching this as well.  We are on the same ship (Jewel) and in port on the 20th of Sept.  We'd like to do part of the hike if I understand correctly that it's a 5 hour hike one way?  

We did this hike in 2016. Great views along the way, so definitely worth it. 

We took the public bus from Fira to Oia, it cost only 2 Euros pP or less. We decided to use the stairs to get up to town, and it wasn’t as bad as everyone claims to be. Took us 15 minutes to the top and then another 5 to the bus station so that’s an option to save time if the lines are long for the cable car. I seem to remember we walked left and into town to the bus station, but should be easy to plan this using google maps. The busses left from a large plaza with many busses lined up, we just asked an attendant and he pointed us to the correct bus. You pay the fare on the Bus after it gets underway, as someone comes through, so be sure to have some euro coins  or small bills (5s) ready. 

Once in Oia we walked around town for a bit, and then started the hike back towards Fira. There were some signs at the start of the trail, but basically just follow the rim of the cliffs. The trail is mainly gravel and has some steeper portions, so be sure to wear closed shoes with proper tread. We saw another couple in flip flops, they weren’t having a great time. 

Also there is little shade along portions of the trail, so bring sunscreen, a hat and enough water. Once you reach the outskirts of Fira there are also small convenience shops close to the trail to get a cold beverage. 

The entire hike took us 3 hours or so, but we took some breaks along the way enjoying the views and a cold beer, so you could maybe do it in two without stopping.

once back in Fira we had some more time to walk around town, and once done we took the stairs back down again. 

The logistics of taking the bus to Oia was really fairly easy and cheap, so I would totally suggest that option. I have no idea if there are taxis available in either town in a large number. I am not sure if we got lucky, but I seem to remember the bus left within like ten minutes of us getting there. Get on the bus when you arrive though to get a seat, as it  fills up. I also seem to remember I had perused bus schedules beforehand, so maybe our luck was also just great planning 🙂

let me know if you have other questions, I can go back to find my notes from back then.

• Like 1

My bad, I just looked it up on a map. The bus station is to the right from the stairs and cable car station, behind the museum and the cathedral (which is a domed building so easy to spot). It’s a short walk from the top of the stairs, should be easy to find using a maps app. 

• 4 weeks later...

We just came back from Santorini. Please keep in mind the length of time it will take via cable car.  A total of 5 cruise ships were docked when we were there.  The line at 3:30 was 75 minutes.  At times the line got a bit testy with groups trying to cut the line. The 587 steps with donkey waste dodging was out of the question, but takes roughly 30-40 minutes. 

9 hours ago, Cachecara said:

We just came back from Santorini. Please keep in mind the length of time it will take via cable car.  A total of 5 cruise ships were docked when we were there.  The line at 3:30 was 75 minutes.  At times the line got a bit testy with groups trying to cut the line. The 587 steps with donkey waste dodging was out of the question, but takes roughly 30-40 minutes. 

We also just got back and will agree. The line for the cable car when we checked was taking an hour and half...We started the walk down but I ended up on the mule...just brutal !!!!

Also OP keep not only in mind your timing but the temperature !!!