Petra from Aqaba

dalliowner

After just   doing the Singapore to Dubai cruise we are considering the next leg Dubai to Athens. Can  anybody tell me how long and  the cost of the trip from Aqaba to Petra is ?

Many thanks

John

We did Athens to Dubai in 2016,  I can't remember the cost of the Petra excursion, whatever it was it was worth every penny and is one of the better Seabourn excursions that we have done. Petra is wonderful and on the way back to the ship our coach parked in an open space at Wadi Rum. Seabourn had laid on a champagne(it was Mumm as they had run out of the dreaded Feuilette) reception with caviar and canapes all served by the waitstaff who were dressed in Arabian costume. It was magical.

it was a very long day, we left just after breakfast and got back in time for dinner.

Hope this helps.

Around 2 hours each way with a stop on the way for coffee etc, enough time for a guided walk and a slow and quite strenuous walk back to the visitor centre and lunch in a local hotel before returning to the ship.

We did not have the champagne reception as described above.

Don't remember the cost but it was worth every penny

We did the Petra excursion in 2014 and did have the champagne, caviar and canapes on the way back to Aqaba.  We are doing the shore excursion again in 4 days so I'll let you know if we have the break along the way back.  The cost of the tour w/o any Club discount to which you may be entitled  is $299 pp.

Howarth, our cruise was on the Sojourn and as Sunviking also had the champagne in the desert in 2014 he would have been on one of the smaller ships too. It is interesting that you didn’t get this, I wonder were you on Encore?

2 hours ago, Cornet said:

Howarth, our cruise was on the Sojourn and as Sunviking also had the champagne in the desert in 2014 he would have been on one of the smaller ships too. It is interesting that you didn’t get this, I wonder were you on Encore?

No on the Legend just before she left the fleet, our last voyage on our favourite ship.

We were on the Encore Oct 2019 Athens to Singapore , the Petra trip was $299 with a maximum of 16 people per bus . We all stopped at a lookout on the way back after lunch and had all the staff in Arabian dress serve Champagne and Caviar . Not the best venue however it was fun . When we got back to the docks at Aqaba they had the housekeeping girls and a band singing and dancing to welcome us back to the ship . A MUST do trip not only for Petra but the staff interaction . If you do the Dubai to Athens as a back to back from Singapore then you will go to Sir Bani Yas for the Caviar in the Surf twice !

A great trip and Israel was phenomenal. 

20181027_115317.jpg

20181109_120219.jpg

Don't miss Petra.. Lovely trip with Seabourn with lunch at the hotel on the site.          We stopped on the way back to the ship and because it was a cold evening Seabourn brought hot snacks and hot chocolate to the bus.   A very special day out.  J 

I just thought I'd report on our trip to Petra yesterday re: the stop on the way back.  This time there was no champagne and caviar or anything else except a bathroom break.  We did have the grand welcome aboard on the pier.  I spoke with Emma, our cruise director, and  she told me because it is Ramadan they were advised they couldn't bring the usual treats as it was well before sunset.  The trip to Petra was still wonderful!

2 hours ago, Sunviking said:

I just thought I'd report on our trip to Petra yesterday re: the stop on the way back.  This time there was no champagne and caviar or anything else except a bathroom break.  We did have the grand welcome aboard on the pier.  I spoke with Emma, our cruise director, and  she told me because it is Ramadan they were advised they couldn't bring the usual treats as it was well before sunset.  The trip to Petra was still wonderful!

Oh what a shame that you missed out on that treat.   Still the special Seabourn welcome on board made a lovely end to your Petra visit.  It is definitely a wonderful and unique place.  J

1 hour ago, Heather White said:

How much walking is involved on this trip?

If you walk both ways, quite a bit.  But you can always get transportation either or both ways.  The walk down is magnificent and I wouldn't miss it if you can manage it.  The walk back is uphill and tough if it's really hot [it was 115 degrees the day we did it], so if you have any mobility concerns, hire a horse cart.  Petra was the highlight of our Dubai-Monaco cruise and I am so happy we visited, as I had been wanting to go there ever since I read Agatha Christie's Appointment with Death about 50 years ago or so.

Linda

We watched a lot of people taking either the buggy or going on Horseback and I'm so glad we walked . We spoke to a couple who used the buggy and they both complained of back/muscle aches from the very bumpy ride there and back. Yes the walk is long but there is lots of shade for a good part of it. The views looking up the canyon walls were spectacular and well worth the walk . Take an umbrella and plenty of water !

20181027_104037.jpg

20181027_103758.jpg

20181027_120617.jpg

20181027_115904.jpg

6 hours ago, whystayhome said:

If you walk both ways, quite a bit.  But you can always get transportation either or both ways.  The walk down is magnificent and I wouldn't miss it if you can manage it.  The walk back is uphill and tough if it's really hot [it was 115 degrees the day we did it], so if you have any mobility concerns, hire a horse cart.  Petra was the highlight of our Dubai-Monaco cruise and I am so happy we visited, as I had been wanting to go there ever since I read Agatha Christie's Appointment with Death about 50 years ago or so.

Linda

There were also a few golf carts for a fee of several hundred USD though it wasn’t clear if prior arrangements needed to be made. 

2 hours ago, jozi said:

There were also a few golf carts for a fee of several hundred USD though it wasn’t clear if prior arrangements needed to be made. 

10 hours ago, Heather White said:

How much walking is involved on this trip? 

Good tip JOZI : re Golf buggy's.

We were on Encore last year for this wonderful cruise April/May .Petra was a wonderful sight, however despite being fairly fit for our age's we found this walk difficult in the heat. It is much further than the tour description tells you. My smart watch 3.5 down to the Treasury and then on return it is up hill all the way, large smooth stone path needed careful steps. There is no shade anywhere. I carried an umbrella for some relief . My face still looked like a broiled lobster when finally reached the charming hotel for lunch.

Our advice is, no matter what the golf buggy costs treat yourself as Petra is a wonder not to be missed.

Champagne and Caviar surprise from Seabourn at about half way during our return to the ship. At the Port smiling staff and crew lined the carpet clapping and singing welcoming us back to the beautiful Encore.

Edited by koalapanda
sp

The first time we went to Petra 5 years ago we did the walk down and back and found the same as Koalapanda that the distance was greater than indicated per our fitbits. One also needs to take into account the elevation.  You begin at somewhere around 5400 ft and walk down 600 ft so you are still at approx 4800 ft above sea level.  We live at sea level and I believe that the height also contributes to how you feel walking down and back.  This time we took a golf cart with 3 other people and felt it was well worth it.  We paid $45 pp which was probably a little price-gouging, but we thought it was worth every penny.  I looked at the faces of some of the people walking back up and most of them looked very tired.  The golf cart was arranged by the tour guide on our bus when we arrived in Petra.

They did serve lunch in a hotel as part of the tour despite it being Ramadan.  Because it's served in a dining room not visible to the general public there's not a problem.  The champagne and caviar on the way back was not allowed because it was set up in a parking lot at a road side rest stop where anyone could see us.

The trip was well-worth it regardless.

The walk up and down at Petra is rather arduous as others have noted.   We walked down with a guide and it was excellent, but the trip back up proved a step too far (or several) so we accepted the offer of a horse ride.   I assure you that this was a mistake!!   Neither of us had been on a horse since our youth and the horse leader set the animals off at a canter... I had to get him to stop and walk.  Quite a humiliating experience but got us to the top pretty quick.  

PS    You had to reserve your buggy before you descend if you want a ride back up but we did not know this. 

We are also on this wonderful cruise from Dubai to Athens and yesterday we had our stop in Al’ Aqaba where we had arranged a private tour

thru Viator

Due to our mobility problems we were very hesitant to plan a day that we were pretty sure we would have problems with. However, after googling accessable Petra this tour appeared on the Viator site. 

We took a chance and booked it although we thought it was expensive. Better to go and not miss out.

We disembarked and the tour guide/ driver was there to greet us and we left straight away on the two hours drive to Petra with a two stops on the way, the first for gas and the second for photo opportunity and shopping, bathrooms etc

When we arrived in Petra we were driven to a gate where we met the driver of the Golf Buggy. We waited for our Tour guide and off we went.

It was wonderful. Both the driver and the Tour guide were friendly and knowledgeable and we spent about 1 1/2 hours driving thru the site. At the finish we were taken back to the gates and then taken to The Movenpick Hotel for lunch

During the drive back to the port, we had one stop so the driver could buy a coffee and have a cigarette.

It was worth every dollar to experience Petra and without this offering we would have never have managed it. Everything was taken care of including lunch, buggy and car ride to and from The ship

The only thing we would have preferred was that the car we had, was bigger. Our car was a small Kia which had problems coping with the airconditioning

All in all a great success 

• Like 1

Yes, thank you for this!  I have always wanted to see Petra but can’t walk a long way (bad knees).   This sounds like it is possible and I am very grateful to hear this.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...