Sorry about this but.........

clarets

4 hours ago, docco said:

Just cruise lines I'm afraid. Restaurants and hotels haven't done it for years. It's a peculiarly cruise thing.

" It's a peculiarly cruise thing".

Not entirely of course, but it certainly is more prevalent on cruise ships these days.

Fortunately P&O, and also Cunard, maintain a tradition that suits the majority of their customers.

And long may it last.

While those who do not wish to enjoy the ambiance associated it brings to those two cruise lines have the freedom to cruise with other lines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, docco said:

No problem at all with smartness (blazers, though?!) - just old-fashioned notions such as DJs that grate.

Old fashioned notions?

I seem to recall many youngsters celebrating their school Proms annually. 

But I digress.....

• Thanks 1

Itinerary is important to me, and I'm very keen to go to Quebec - looking at next year - so P&O is one of the limited options available to me with limited/no flying

Shoes always tend to cause me foot issues, and as such I'm in trainers 99% of the time, so I suppose with that, and being a proper casual type, I'd better accept if I go on this ship I'd be in the Horizon for 24 nights running 😂 (just me and my fellow Claret 😋).

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing

53 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Old fashioned notions?

I seem to recall many youngsters celebrating their school Proms annually. 

But I digress.....

And in many cases it is the teenagers who dictate the dress code for those events. I worked in inner city Gateshead and all the year 11 students were in DJ’s with the girls all in prom frocks. All organised by themselves so ant idea that formal dress is outdated is way off the mark.

3 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Holland America send out a Cruise Welcome book which contains PICTURES of suitable attire. Perhaps P&O should do that?

Surely P&O have such a loyal following they all generally know what is expected.

Next P&O cruise coming up...

1047158254_ArcadiaoffLee18June2017.thumb.jpg.67adc7e77159b4caaa4e87536d9535bc.jpg

• Thanks 1

I am very proud of the photo on display in the hall showing my grandson getting into a limo on Prom night in his DJ.  My friend paid £300 for her daughter’s prom dress, it is fabulous and would be great for formal nights on any cruise ship.  Youngsters these days seem to love dressing up for a special occasion. Long may it last.

I wore these most nights (apart from the 4 formal nights) on our recent Transatlantic cruise, and didn't have any problems getting in any restaurant or bar on board. Did get asked to leave the Blue Bar one night however that's because I had chino shorts on 😱

adidas-samba-trainers-dark-blue-p10560-68799_image.jpg

12 minutes ago, Arnie70 said:

I wore these most nights (apart from the 4 formal nights) on our recent Transatlantic cruise, and didn't have any problems getting in any restaurant or bar on board. Did get asked to leave the Blue Bar one night however that's because I had chino shorts on 😱

You wore them onboard but not on formal nights I cannot see the problem,colour not to my liking but someone as to wear them.

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

You wore them onboard but not on formal nights I cannot see the problem,colour not to my liking but someone as to wear them.

LOL,  I love the colour!

OP asked about wearing trainers so I just wanted to show what I wore!

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When they say ‘trainers’, I think they mean white running shoe type trainers.

Arnie’s blue shoes look both smart and casual- I like them 

Thanks ☺️

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When they say ‘trainers’, I think they mean white running shoe type trainers.

Arnie’s blue shoes look both smart and casual- I like them 

Arnie you have a groupie

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bazrat said:

11 hours ago, Arnie70 said:

gazelles/vans/merrills etc in one dark colour will probably be what my dh and son will be wearing on smart casual nights. 

5 minutes ago, waughy said:

gazelles/vans/merrills etc in one dark colour will probably be what my dh and son will be wearing on smart casual nights. 

It’s a sign that your getting old when people talk about brands and you haven’t got a clue what there talking about.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

It’s a sign that your getting old when people talk about brands and you haven’t got a clue what there talking about.

I’m glad it’s not just me! 🤣

35 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

And buying overpriced brands just for the label is a sign of total insanity - whatever your age!

12 hours ago, Arnie70 said:

I have a pair of those. Really comfortable. I mainly wear them during the day. I left them on the shoe rack in the porch for a couple of weeks last summer. They are know light blue. 

I own very few lace up shoes, casual slip on loafers are more my style, black loafers for formal nights and a few others, and smart  boat shoes for the rest. I reckon all that bending down tieing up laces is what leads to chronic back pain.😉

4 hours ago, docco said:

And buying overpriced brands just for the label is a sign of total insanity - whatever your age!

I did wonder how long it would take for someone to comment on price. However what my family buys is up to us however I’m sure you would also think it’s insane to pay the prices I do for a holiday for 5 people but again my choice and my money. 

4 hours ago, docco said:

• Like 1

My main priority for shoes is comfort, and my Merrell walking shoes are extremely comfortable.

As I do a lot of walking I'd rather pay more to get a comfortable pair of shoes that will last.  I've done at least a 1000 miles of walking in my Merrells, and they are still going strong.  Much better than a cheaper supermarket pair that might give me blisters and would be worn out by now.

Sometimes buying cheap is a false economy. 

• Like 1