Which cruise?

bmraar

I would like to take my 14 year old daughter on a mother daughter cruise next spring break.  She has cruised once before on NCL, and I have cruised Carnival, RCCL and NCL.  I have never cruised Disney before and am a huge Disney fan, but my husband is not interested in a Disney cruise.  I was thinking this may be a great opportunity to do a short little weekend cruise with my daughter.  On Disney Dream, 3 night cruise going to Nassau and Castaway Cay (no sea days), inside room with the fake porthole (fine for just the 2 of us) comes out to $1818.  Crazy expensive for what you are getting, but I fully expected it from Disney.

Here's the catch though.  As I kept researching, we could do the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore (we're from Virginia Beach), 7 night cruise to Grand Turk, Princess Cays, and Freeport (3 sea days), obstructed view cabin, for $1811.

I love Carnival, I'm cruising on the Carnival Magic this October, I just saw this as an opportunity to try Disney for the first time.  But it's difficult if not impossible to justify spending exactly the same amount on a 3 night cruise that you would on a 7 night cruise (understanding that the 7 night would actually be a little more expensive with shore excursions, tips, etc.)

This is a no brainer, right?  Or is there something that is so much better about Disney that makes it worth that much more than the Carnival cruise?

Thanks!

Kim

I would pick a 7 night over a 3 any day.  I have cruised Disney but only a 7 day  and I have cruised on the Pride.  Disney was amazing for my little grandchildren 7,6 and 3.  Since you have a 14 year old I can't answer how teenagers like Disney.  I still think a 7 day outweighs a 3 day any day.

Disney is a great cruise line, but there is no way I would pick a 3 day Disney cruise over a 7 day cruise on another line when cruising with a 14 year old.   My first cruise was on a Disney ship.  It was great, but I knew that would be the last time I would ever spend that much money for a cruise.  I think if a family has young children and doesn't mind spending the extra money, it is definitely a great line.  For families with teens, I just think the teens would have more fun on a different line.

I would choose the 7 night out of Baltimore.  When I cruised out of Baltimore, we arrived a day early and stayed at a hotel near the water.  There were several water events held at the time and it was a lot of fun walking around that area.  The Pride is a nice ship.  It is one of the smaller Carnival ships, but still has plenty to do and I think you will have a great time.  A 3 night cruise on any line is more trouble than it's worth to me.

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

A 3 night cruise on any line is more trouble than it's worth to me.

A lot of people would disagree with you since Carnival consistently sells out 3 day cruises on several ships every week. We are doing a 3 day cruise on Liberty next weekend. Of course it helps living in Florida with an easy drive to several ports from our house. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

A lot of people would disagree with you since Carnival consistently sells out 3 day cruises on several ships every week. We are doing a 3 day cruise on Liberty next weekend. Of course it helps living in Florida with an easy drive to several ports from our house. 

Oh definitely!  Since I have to fly to almost every port and also pay for a hotel, it's just not financially beneficial to me.  If I lived close to a port, I am sure I could be lured into taking 3 day cruises.