Shore excursion recommendations - norwegian fjords July 2020

EzzaB84

Hi Cruise community

I am doing the 7 day norwegian fjord cruise on the QM2 from Hamburg in July 2020, and was wondering if anyone could provide some recommendations on shore excursions (if there are any available) in Alesund, Olden, Flaam and Bergen.

I know this is still over a year away but this will really help me in my voyage planning.

Cheers

I did this cruise on HAL. The highlight of the cruise was the Flaam Railway. The scenery was beautiful and the weather very nice up in the mountains. I would recommend that one, as there is really nothing else to do in Flaam.

• Like 1

Another incredible excursion to consider in Flåm is the Nærøyfjord boat ride (It is an UNESCO World Heritage Site) paired with the bus ride that takes you to the stunning Stegastein Viewpoint (picture of the Viewpoint from our trip below)... 

From Ålesund, I would always suggest an excursion that includes the famous and thrilling Trollstigen road (picture of the hairpin turns on the Trollstigen from our trip below)...

Bergen can be done on your own... but if you want a more in depth tour, you could always get one in the Bryggen historical district... if you are a music lover get a tour to Troldhaugen, romantic composer Edvard Grieg’s home where you can also attend a concert.

I have not been to Olden yet... but on my upcoming trip we are going to the Briksdal Glacier.

Hope this helps 😊

B5573DD1-5D4B-4950-B561-6D28383A30AC.jpeg

00FA3A76-83B8-4C66-8428-3822AD1A17EA.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your suggestions - I will definitely be looking into those suggestions as they sound excellent. I also followed the link you posted Host Hattie and that was also very useful!

I am super excited about this voyage and can't wait to experience the fjords first hand!

Thank you again!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, EzzaB84 said:

Hi Cruise community

I am doing the 7 day norwegian fjord cruise on the QM2 from Hamburg in July 2020, and was wondering if anyone could provide some recommendations on shore excursions (if there are any available) in Alesund, Olden, Flaam and Bergen.

I know this is still over a year away but this will really help me in my voyage planning.

Cheers

Hi the Flaam railway is a good trip but definitely do it yourself. We stepped off the ship around 10 a.m. went to the railway ticket office and got tickets for the trip at around 1p.m.. Much much cheaper than the ship's offering.

• Like 1

Hello all and in particular to EzzaB84

I’m on a Fjords cruise on Queen Victoria within the next month - details are in my previous post.

I’ve already booked two Cunard excursions  and currently plan to do the rest independently, but that may change once onboard! 

I’m planning to post some reasonably detailed updates containing the information I myself might have found helpful. I can try and post a few photos too if I get the time. 

Just shout if you have any specific questions - I might not know the answer or be able to find out, but I can have a go! 

Thank you

AF

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

I’ve already booked two Cunard excursions  and currently plan to do the rest independently, but that may change once onboard

Which excursions have you chosen already, AspirationalFlyer? 😊

On 5/22/2019 at 1:36 PM, naturelovergirl said:

Which excursions have you chosen already, AspirationalFlyer? 😊

Hi,

I can’t remember the exact names of the tours but broadly they are:

- Haugesund: Historic Avaldsnes and Viking Village 

- Olden: Briksdal Glacier

That covers off the first two stops. We might book more through Cunard or choose to do so independently. Personally I’ve found Cunard excursions to be mixed both in terms of quality and value for money. 

If anyone has done the Viking tour and thought it terrible then do shout! It can be changed. We just thought it would be a good laugh and a nice introduction to Norway and the area. 

Reviews of both to follow in June! 

AF

• Like 1