Non-refundable deposit-is it worth it

6 minutes ago, lauren0309 said:

I saw on cruise I'm thinking of booking. It says non-refundable deposit. What is the benefit of that? If I cancel or change my booking date there is a $100 fee per person.

The benefit is supposed to be a less expensive cruise fare.  To see the differnce, look at the cost both ways, with refundable and non-refundable deposit

In the event you need to cancel/change your booking to a new sailing you lose 100 off your deposit then can get FCC toward the new booking. The FCC needs to be placed on a new sailing or if one is already booked then by filling out the form & getting the FCC Certificate it can be applied to an existing booking. I did that when moving to the Freedom. I lost the deposit and had to do another deposit for the Freedom but received 600 in FCC toward the freedom Cruise off the previous CX Allure sailing. we were doing a b2b so received 300 off each Allure sailing.

10 minutes ago, lauren0309 said:

OK thanks. I didnt realize I had a choice. I'll have to look again more closely

You have to work through almost the entire booking on RC's website (including passenger names) before they give you the option to select a refundable deposit.  At that point you will see the price difference.

Also, refundable deposit is not available for Grand Suites or better, or guarantee categories.

20 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

RCCL used to offer some OBC if you book under NRD. They have since taken this little perk away.

There is still OBC for a non-refundable deposit booking, but only if the booking is made onboard.

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

You have to work through almost the entire booking on RC's website (including passenger names) before they give you the option to select a refundable deposit.  At that point you will see the price difference.

Also, refundable deposit is not available for Grand Suites or better, or guarantee categories.

Is the price for a refundable deposit different depending on the sailing? For my most recent cruise it was $199 more for a refundable deposit, and I was thinking that might be a set amount. 

10 minutes ago, DrDani226 said:

Is the price for a refundable deposit different depending on the sailing? For my most recent cruise it was $199 more for a refundable deposit, and I was thinking that might be a set amount. 

The difference varies by ship, sailing and cabin type. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach