On Renting a Car on Hawaiian Cruises

uman2631

We will be in a rented car and need to return to airport by 5 pm.  After leaving Kula Botanical Garden we would like to go a new expanded route we have never traveled.  How long will it take us to drive from Pukalani across Hwy 365 to Hwy 36 and then back down Hwy 36 to the airport?  What are the roads like?

Jim

Edited by drjpreston

1 hour ago, drjpreston said:

We will be in a rented car and need to return to airport by 5 pm.  After leaving Kula Botanical Garden we would like to go a new expanded route we have never traveled.  How long will it take us to drive from Pukalani across Hwy 365 to Hwy 36 and then back down Hwy 36 to the airport?  What are the roads like?

Jim

We have taken that route many times, but we have never timed it and are no help whatsoever on that point.  What we can say is, at least in past experiences, the roads have been fine.  In our opinion though the scenery is nothing special until you get to Hana Highway.  Another way you might consider is taking Baldwin Avenue down from Makawao to where it ends at Hana Highway in Paia.  It is a very pleasant drive.  If you have a few extra minutes you can make a right onto Hana Highway and go a few miles to Hookipa and have a look at the spectacular scenery and windsurfers if the surf is up.

On 6/18/2019 at 2:46 AM, baflagg said:

So my question is, any suggestions for what are the best things to do in Maui for one day with our own car?  I didn't realize the area around the port was industrial until reading the original post, we kind of thought we would just walk off the ship and spend the day walking around to whatever was in the area but it sounds like there really isn't much there.

There are dozens of posts on this message board about what to do with a free day and a rental car, so do figure what you would most like to do while here and google the subject for hints and ideas.  Just don't spend the day walking in Kahului.  There is nothing there for visitors and you would be wasting a day if you hang around there.

1 hour ago, RobStark said:

Nice post! Thanx for information. But, where did you get those prices for the one day car?) I was in  SIXT Miami airport last year. And the prices are very cheap for the rent near the Airport. Maybe I don`t get it...

I'm not sure what prices you are referring to in this thread.  But Hawaii is generally much more expensive than Florida.  Depending on time of year and what class of car, it will cost about $50-75/day to rent a car in Hawaii.