Skagway?

ccndfw

We’ve been to Skagway twice and both times we did a bus trip to Emerald Lake.  They were both beautiful trips, but as we are now getting ready to visit for a third time. We would like to know if there is anything else that we should see.  Are there other excursions that we’ve been missing out on?  We are strongly leaning on renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake, but trying to find out what else is worth seeing in Skagway.  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, ccndfw said:

We’ve been to Skagway twice and both times we did a bus trip to Emerald Lake.  They were both beautiful trips, but as we are now getting ready to visit for a third time. We would like to know if there is anything else that we should see.  Are there other excursions that we’ve been missing out on?  We are strongly leaning on renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake, but trying to find out what else is worth seeing in Skagway.  Thoughts?

Look at the many national park sites and exhibits around town.  Stop at the visitor’s center for a walking tour map and the hiking map.  There are some great hikes.  Skagway has a nice museum.  There is the  Chilkoot hike and float tour which begins just past Dyea.  If you decide to rent a car you can drive out to Dyea.  Be sure to order Murray’s Guide online if you decide to drive.  There is a lot to do in Skagway.  Start at the visitor’s center.

It will be the second time to Skagway for my wife and I.  The first time we did the train/Yukon tour to Emerald Lake.  This time we opted for an excursion that takes the high speed ferry to Haines then a boat ride through the eagle sanctuary.

Other things we have enjoyed in Skagway:

The historical museum there is small, but very interesting with a good emphasis on both Native and Gold Rush history

Days of '98 show is great if you haven't seen it

The cemetery where Soapy Smith and John Reed are buried is a great place to stop for awhile and there is a short hike there to some beautiful waterfalls

A visit to Dyea is really interesting if you can get there - bring mosquito repellent!

The tour at the Red Onion is a cool glimpse into its past as a brothel and you just might see a ghost.

Just a few ideas of fun things we have done there outside of the train trip.

Edited by karatemom2

We took an independent kayaking excursion in Haines (Chilkoot Lake) on a cruise while I shipped was docked in Skagway. The second time we were there we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. Having Murray's Guide was invaluable. It was great to be able to stop wherever we wanted along the way. One of my favorite memories was stopping by a bridge and picking a few wild blueberries. Another was seeing an eagle fishing at a little lake we stopped at. On our last cruise to Alaska, we hiked to the Gold Rush Cemetery and Lower Reid Falls, visited the Jewell Gardens, and hiked along Dyea Road to Yakutania Point and back to the ship. 

If you do the train I'd recommend the Lake Bennett trip, the farther you go the better the scenery is. I've also done a couple of flightseeing trips over Glacier Bay with Paul from Mountain Flying Service. Spectacular