Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
mac66

Island Hopping & Diving

Our cruise next Feb goes to the following islands.

St. Crox USVI
St. Johns, Antigua
Castria, St. Lucia
Bridgetown, Barbados
St. George, Granada
Kingstown, St. Vincent
Basseterrie, St. Kitts

Going to be with family so I can't dive them all. Looking for the best three islands to dive at.

Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:32 PM, mac66 said:

Mac,

Your list has a lot of great dive spots.  The best three will be dependent upon your preferences.

The one you can cross off is Antigua.  The diving is only OK, and it's far from the cruise port. 

The one I'd say is the very best, and thus not to be missed, is Grenada.  If you contact Eveline at ScubaTech Grenada, you'll have a great day.  There are lots of good wrecks, and the fish life is super-abundant.  They'll provide port pick-up and drop-off.  One thing for Grenada: Do not bother with the "Sculpture Park".  It's not a good use of one of your two dives, since there are so many other great sites there.  (www.scubatech-grenada.com)

The rest in the order you've listed them:

St. Croix:

I like N2TheBlue diving.  They are right at the port, and they are very responsive to emails.  They operate smaller boats, so you are with a reasonably sized  group, but this means you want to book as early as you can.  Their DM's do a very good job of pointing out the interesting things.   I like the sites up north of the pier more than the ones south.  (www.n2theblue.com)

St. Lucia:

Very good diving, and an island that's considered one of the best.  My own experience is it's quite good, but not "head and shoulders" above others.  The good sites are near Soufriere.  I've used both Scuba Steve's and Eastern Caribbean Divers.  I like Eastern Caribbean better.  Both pick you up right at the pier (in the shadow of the bow of the ship).  If it was me, St. Lucia wouldn't make the top three.  I'd book a land tour with Cosol tours.  Ask for Livingston.  (www.easterncaribbeandivingstlucia.com )

Barbados:

I love diving here, in large part because of Peter and Heather at West Side Scuba Centre.  They provide port pick-up and drop-off.  There's a great wreck dive there, the Stavron Ikita.  If you like wrecks, then this island should make the cut.  If you want to do it, let them know at the time of booking.  The dive shop is at the Boatyard Beach Complex, which provides a very reasonably priced beach day for non-divers in your group.  (www.westsidescuba.com)

St. Vincent:

I like it here.  The diving is what I call "typical Caribbean", which is great, but nothing that sets it apart from other islands.  Vaughn Martin at Serenity Dive will definitely make sure you have a good day.  The boat picks you up at the pier.  There's good fish life, and interesting underwater topography.  (www.serenitydive.net)

St. Kitts:

I always have a great day here.  There are several good wreck dives at very moderate depths, and if you want a great shark diving experience, ask to go to Brimstone Shallows.  Austin at Pro Divers St. Kitts is very easy to work with.  They are in the Marina immediately adjacent to the cruise port.  They meet you at the port entrance, and it's about a two minute walk.  (www.prodiversstkitts.com)

If it was me, and that's a big if, since it means my preferences not yours; I would rank them in this order:

1) Grenada
2) Barbados
3) St. Vincent
4) St. Croix
5) St. Kitts
6) St. Lucia

As I was creating this list, I had to really ponder.  2 through 5 are all so good, I'd have a heck of time picking which to drop if I had to.

Good Luck,

Harris
Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

As usual excellent tips Harris, thanks