Ketchikan in June

daisybertie

We are busy planning a family trip to Alaska, hopefully on the Volendam in June next year. DH and I have been to Alaska before, once in June and once in September. I found I enjoyed the June trip more as there was still a lot of snow around on the mountains and on the train ride from Skagway to the Yukon. September was less crowded but not as atmospheric in some ways. Because of school holidays and other things that get in the way, we plan to take the Volendam cruise that visits Ketchikan on June 8th. I have been checking how many ships are in each port on a given day and there’s are 5 ships in Ketchikan that day, with a possible 11,100 passengers!! Even with there staggered arrival and departure times this seems an awful lot of people. Has anyone any experience of this port being this busy. Is it best to organise excursions to get out of town for most of the day. DH and I have previously walked all round town and shopped. The others in our party, three 70 years old, two late forties and a twelve year old are all fit and healthy. As we have always told them how wonderful Alaska is we want then to enjoy it as much as we have. But, 11,100 people. Yikes!

We've been in Ketchikan with 13K of or closest friends (NOT!).  It will be crowded and shopping will be difficult.  My suggestion is to sign up for a tour that gets you out away from the port area.  Given your group, you may end up with some of your folks on one tour and the rest on a different one. 

The townspeople know how to handle large groups since they get them every week and almost every day.  If you do decide to go into town, please, please, please patronize the local businesses.  These folks have about four months to gain a year's worth of earnings.  You'll be able recognize the locals because they have a decal on their store windows.

I hope you and your family enjoy themselves in Ketchikan.

Edited by towhee

No fun when you're hoping to get away to the "...last frontier..." and 11 thousand others had the same idea. We'll be there again in a few weeks and we're looking forward to getting out of our little box. You'll find something that will make your time in port enjoyable. Have a great cruise!

I  get up there in June each summer and usually with four ships in and I have found it easy to deal with.  I have done the Saxman village thing and I have often taken the Duck which gives a nice tour of the town and then out on the Tongass Narrows for a nice boat ride  and good chance to see eagles.

This is sadly the trend not only in Alaska but Europe.     and rapidly in Asia ..... the ports are becoming  cruise ghettos  and your choices are either to stay on the ship and enjoy all its pleasures  or get a private tour that gets you out of town.    Staying in town or close  to it will be not fun.     Going on the ships planned tours will also keep you in a concentration of people........ Private tours are you only solution....   Ketchican has great fishing  charter a boat for 4 or 6 and  fish a bit and cruise around looking at wildlife...and scenery......  not black Friday crowds.

18 hours ago, daisybertie said:

Even with there staggered arrival and departure times this seems an awful lot of people. Has anyone any experience of this port being this busy. Is it best to organise excursions to get out of town for most of the day.

I think getting your group on an excursion is a great idea.  It was very crowded even early in the morning on our last cruise 7 years ago so that is why on our cruise next week I specifically planned an excursion to get away from all of that.  We will visit the local shops afterward and maybe look for some wine. 

I was there on Volendam last week with five ships and it was miserable. Wall-to-wall people and just a horrible experience. The NCL Joy, Royal Princess, Coral Princess, Volendam and Oceania Regatta. 11,400+ guests. 

Also there is no snow at all there now - not even on the mountains on the White Pass railroad, except the very top peaks. It was in the upper 70s all week - all ice is gone from lakes and creeks everywhere. They had a mild, dry winter. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sppunk said:

I was there on Volendam last week with five ships and it was miserable. Wall-to-wall people and just a horrible experience. The NCL Joy, Royal Princess, Coral Princess, Volendam and Oceania Regatta. 11,400+ guests. 

Also there is no snow at all there now - not even on the mountains on the White Pass railroad, except the very top peaks. It was in the upper 70s all week - all ice is gone from lakes and creeks everywhere. They had a mild, dry winter. 

Thanks for this info. I'll be there in June on QE, and I was thinking about the train, mostly to see some snow along the way. I think the train is a must-do once, but I've done it before so I'll save my money and wander around town. I'm lucky on my visit, only one Disney ship with us. I can't imagine that little town with 11,000+ people pouring in!

49 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thanks for this info. I'll be there in June on QE, and I was thinking about the train, mostly to see some snow along the way. I think the train is a must-do once, but I've done it before so I'll save my money and wander around town. I'm lucky on my visit, only one Disney ship with us. I can't imagine that little town with 11,000+ people pouring in!

To clarify the crowds were in Ketchikan. Since it’s the first or last port it’s always heavily visited.