Queen Mary 2 Single Ocean View Staterooms

K.S.

Hello. I have never sailed QM2 transatlantic, but it has long been a trip I’ve dreamed of making (as far back as when the crossings were done by QE2).

Main Question:: How early do you have to book to reserve one of the single ocean view staterooms on decks 2 and 3L?

Additionally, what would you say are the pros and cons of each type? I like the idea of deck 3L better, but am not sure about the cabin layout. What have been some of your experiences between the two types?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

8 hours ago, K.S. said:

Hello. I have never sailed QM2 transatlantic, but it has long been a trip I’ve dreamed of making (as far back as when the crossings were done by QE2).

Main Question:: How early do you have to book to reserve one of the single ocean view staterooms on decks 2 and 3L?

Additionally, what would you say are the pros and cons of each type? I like the idea of deck 3L better, but am not sure about the cabin layout. What have been some of your experiences between the two types?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

I had the opportunity to visit one of these cabins during my last fall's voyage. The cabin layouts are similar on the two decks, but slightly different configuration. They are very nice. They also seem to go very quickly when they are available. If you have an idea when you would like to travel, you would be well advised to look at the single ocean view cabins for those voyage as soon as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, 

I actually have been assigned to both types of single staterooms on the QM2. In 2016, I was upgraded to one of the single staterooms on Deck 2. In 2017, I was upgraded to one of the single staterooms on Deck 3L. Both types of staterooms are very attractive and spacious. Also, both categories are conveniently located to the public rooms on Decks 2 and 3. Because all of the single staterooms were added to the ship in 2016, they still are fairly new.

As noted above, the staterooms in both categories are approximately the same size, but they are arranged differently. The staterooms on Deck 2 have a very high ceiling and a rectangular window. The staterooms on Deck 3L have a low ceiling but two very large round windows. I preferred the Deck 3L stateroom due to the very large windows.

These staterooms seem to book very quickly. However, they usually are expensive in comparison to the double staterooms. I suggest comparing the price of a single stateroom to single occupancy in a double stateroom. 

The crossings on the QM2 are wonderful. I recently did a crossing on the QM2 (April 28-May 5, 2019) and had an incredible time. I highly recommend a crossing on this ship. Also, it is fine to sail on this ship as a solo traveler. It is very easy to meet other people.  

Chuck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really? Single occupancy in a double occupancy cabin is cheaper than the single occupancy cabins? I’m surprised at that. And the single occupancy cabins are considered an upgrade? How odd.

17 minutes ago, K.S. said:

Really? Single occupancy in a double occupancy cabin is cheaper than the single occupancy cabins? I’m surprised at that. And the single occupancy cabins are considered an upgrade? How odd.

Hi, 

For both of these sailings, I was booked as a solo in an inside stateroom. This was considered an upgrade because I was moved from an inside stateroom to an outside stateroom. Booking as a solo in an inside stateroom is less expensive than booking one of the outside singles. Because there are so few single staterooms, they usually sell at a premium.

Chuck

Hi,

For example, according to Cunard's website, there are still some single staterooms available on the QM2's crossing that departs from Southampton on April 19, 2021. The current lowest price for single occupancy of an inside double stateroom is $2,379. The price for a single outside stateroom is $2,859. The price for single occupancy of an outside double stateroom is $2,974.

These prices are high and probably will decrease as the sailing grows near. On my crossing last month, I booked an obstructed balcony stateroom as a solo and was upgraded to a sheltered balcony stateroom on Deck 5. My price for single occupancy of the balcony stateroom was similar to the first price listed above. I booked this stateroom approximately five months prior to the sailing date.  

Chuck

If you're willing to book last minute (within 90 days of sailing) there are bargains to be found. For example, on the 25 August westbound transatlantic I'm seeing single rates of $1398 inside or $1748 (obstructed) balcony, based on a 75% single supplement and online Travel Agent pricing, including port fees but not your flight westbound.

All very good information. I’m not sure I could handle an inside cabin. Would probably have to go for single occupancy in an obstructed view cabin, or at least the few with the porthole, considering I may not be upgraded. What about the inside cabins with atrium view? Has anyone experience in one of those?

• 3 weeks later...

I booked a solo room last February (2019) for a voyage May of 2020. They said that I booked the last solo room and that 15 months before sailing so I’d say 18 months prior is not too early. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

The 2021 crossings were released some weeks ago, and there is still very good single cabin availability.  On the spring crossings I was looking at, the pricing is currently lower than single occupancy of an inside cabin, which is very good value (but I know when I looked for this year the reverse was the case).  I am told that although cheaper than the 2 cabins, those on 3L have the advantage of the door opening into the room rather than the ‘corridor beside the bathroom’ arrangement that is common on cruise ships.

• 1 year later...

I was going to treat myself to a single cabin for 1/3/22 but none were available. I dont know if that's because they were all reserved or if Cunard is holding on to some of them. Not sure why they would do this, I tend to believe that they are very popular.   I'm not judging so dont be offended but I cant understand why so many people have such strong objections to an inside cabin.  I dont think they are so small  that they are claustrophobic. Mine was perfectly fine and better than some motel rooms I've stayed in. But I was traveling solo and rarely in the cabin.  I guess I have lots of experience sleeping in tents, that could be the difference. Many people would hate sleeping in a tent. 

11 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I was going to treat myself to a single cabin for 1/3/22 but none were available. I dont know if that's because they were all reserved or if Cunard is holding on to some of them.

Bear in mind that the 1/3/22 crossing is also bookable as part of the 26-day Grand Caribbean voyage departing Southampton on 12/15/21, as well as the 19-day Caribbean Plus voyage leaving New York on 12/22/21.Cunard will only make a particular stateroom bookable on one of these itineraries at a time, which can lead to imbalances in availability between segments. Occasionally they'll shift inventory into the individual segments from the longer multi-segment itineraries. The onboard booking department once intervened for me to break a room available from Soton to the Caribbean into the segments so I could book only the 12-night segment out of New York. I don't know how typical this is.

Personally, given that a Britannia Oceanview or Balcony can be booked Single for a 75% supplement I don't consider the fares in the Single staterooms to represent good value. I'd be looking for a good sale fare on a suitable Double stateroom.

38 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Bear in mind that the 1/3/22 crossing is also bookable as part of the 26-day Grand Caribbean voyage departing Southampton on 12/15/21, as well as the 19-day Caribbean Plus voyage leaving New York on 12/22/21.Cunard will only make a particular stateroom bookable on one of these itineraries at a time, which can lead to imbalances in availability between segments. ...

To further illustrate Underwatr's point, the Jan 3, 2022 crossing is also the first leg of QM2's 2022 world voyage from New York with segments to Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong and Sydney as well as the full world voyage back to New York. With only 15 single cabins on QM2 to allocate among all those various voyages, that does add to the difficultly of finding one available on any particular voyage. As it happens, cabin 3010 is currently available on the 29-night New York to Dubai segment, Jan 3-Feb 1, 2022. I don't happen to see any single cabins still available on any of the other voyages that include Jan 3, 2022.

Right, offhand I wasn't sure about QM2's 2022 world cruise itinerary but the January 3 crossing is typically a way for people to start from New York.

The eastbound crossings in November and December might be easier to book, although the 2021 crossings have been available for some time now.

Edited by Underwatr

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Personally, given that a Britannia Oceanview or Balcony can be booked Single for a 75% supplement I don't consider the fares in the Single staterooms to represent good value. I'd be looking for a good sale fare on a suitable Double stateroom.

Having travelled in a single KC (3L) single stateroom and in a Deck 4 metal front balcony cabin in single occupancy ... I would much rather choose the single cabin which represents slightly less value.   They are fantastic, and having shown mine and seen other comments on various forums, they are up there with the best cabins on the ship - in fact, someone even commented they would happily leave their other half at home in order to sail solo in one.   The 3L ones in particular which have the double round windows and proper glass fronted showers are very, popular, and for a lot of itineraries, need booked as soon as they become available.

Edited by showingdiva

Even if single cabins end up being more expensive than a single occupancy of a double cabin you have to keep in mind that you have some type of ocean view with a single cabin. Unless you are comparing single cabins and single occupancy of a double cabin in the same class of cabins. (both with ocean view)

On 6/5/2019 at 3:58 AM, K.S. said:

All very good information. I’m not sure I could handle an inside cabin. Would probably have to go for single occupancy in an obstructed view cabin, or at least the few with the porthole, considering I may not be upgraded. What about the inside cabins with atrium view? Has anyone experience in one of those?

Inside cabins are no big deal.  Yes, when you first walk in, it is dark and you briefly wonder how you are going to cope without natural light.  Then, when the cruise is underway, you leave your cabin for breakfast each morning, and barely return for more than a few minutes until it is time for bed.  One of the great things about QM2 are the numerous fairly quiet spots where you can take a book or catch a drink, and enjoy the day between the various activities and events.  

On my other TA I was upgraded to a window cabin, which was nice, but honestly I enjoyed looking out briefly to see what the weather was like when I got up each morning, but otherwise that was it - when I got back to the cabin to change for dinner, the attendant had already put the blind down -  so had I paid for it, that would have been an expensive set of glances.

You Mileage May Vary, but I have issues sleeping if I wake up and can't tell whether it's morning or night. The worst is a fully obscured cabin that has lighting directed outside of it. I don't have problems with oceanview and balcony cabins.

11 hours ago, Underwatr said:

You Mileage May Vary, but I have issues sleeping if I wake up and can't tell whether it's morning or night. The worst is a fully obscured cabin that has lighting directed outside of it. I don't have problems with oceanview and balcony cabins.

I cant even remember how I solved this problem. I probably just looked at my watch (indiglo feature)  I understand some people do have issues with sleeping. I can sleep on any side of the bed, or on the floor, in a tent or even the rear deck of my Subaru   The only thing that affects me is light (if I work a night shift I can only sleep about 4 hrs)   I'm fussy about bathroom though. and food. Not a picky eater, just no sense of adventure when it comes to food.   And yay, I learned to use the quote function!

Edited by Smitheroo
omission

On 1/1/2021 at 3:36 AM, Underwatr said:

That is easily solved.  Turn the cabin TV on, tune to the bridge webcam channel, and mute the sound.  At night it’s almost a completely dark screen, with just a tiny bit of light from the ship’s lighting off cam (which will help you find the toilet in the night when you need it).  When it gets light, the screen will get brighter and you’ll probably wake up before your alarm.

• Like 1