18 year old on a cruise

Hi!

We are thinking about booking the Gem, Boston to Bermuda this summer. We will be taking our 18 year old son who has not cruised without a Kid's Club within his age group. Does anyone have experience with this in-between stage of cruising? He loves RCCL for the wave rider and would love for him to have activities to help him meet other kids his age.

Any thoughts you could share would be greatly appreciated!

3 minutes ago, massfamilyof4 said:

Hi!

We are thinking about booking the Gem, Boston to Bermuda this summer. We will be taking our 18 year old son who has not cruised without a Kid's Club within his age group. Does anyone have experience with this in-between stage of cruising? He loves RCCL for the wave rider and would love for him to have activities to help him meet other kids his age.

The Gem does have a rock climbing wall, and an arcade where he may meet people in his age group.  When on board read your Daily, where activities are listed.

18 minutes ago, massfamilyof4 said:

Hi!

I never used the kids clubs when I was younger. As an 18 yr old, I’d pretty much hang out by the pool, lay out in the sun, read, etc. I’m sure he will meet people naturally, without organized activities, if he wants to meet people. I was always content spending time with my family or even by myself!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Get him a wine/beer card.  Show him how to gamble.  Show him how to order food and wine for the table and then tell him to do so the next night.  Get him a separate cabin.  Most importantly, have fun!

I like you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I never used the kids clubs when I was younger. As an 18 yr old, I’d pretty much hang out by the pool, lay out in the sun, read, etc. I’m sure he will meet people naturally, without organized activities, if he wants to meet people. I was always content spending time with my family or even by myself!

2 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

The Gem does have a rock climbing wall, and an arcade where he may meet people in his age group.  When on board read your Daily, where activities are listed.

Thanks for your thoughts!  I guess I am just looking for reassurance that he will not be bored without his friends all week! He usually has no trouble socializing!

If he's an active sort the Away ships will have more to offer. Our 17yo missed the sports court on the Bliss, the Go Kart fun is short lived. 

I have not sailed on the Gem, but have been on the Pearl and Dawn. All are lovely so I hope you make great memories onboard. 

3 hours ago, massfamilyof4 said:

Haha! I think my son would REALLY like cruising with you guys!

Sign the alcohol waiver. Get him a corks and caps package (since he can only drink beer and wine). And let him enjoy the cruise. 

• Like 1

We just sailed on the Breakaway two weeks ago with our 18 year old daughter. There was a meetup the first night for 18-20 year olds and it was listed on the daily. She made friends that first night and we hardly saw her again!