Embarkment in Vancouver

FaithPlus1

Norwegian Cruise leaves at 4PM and all passengers must be on board by 2PM. 

I have Global Entry/TSA Precheck (American citizen). I cruised out of Vancouver 2 years ago and there was some sort of special line I was allowed to be on where there were only a few people on it (I did not use a kiosk...there were actually workers at a counter). I think this was the "preclearance line" (not sure the term that they used). 

What would be the absolute latest that I would can actually be at the port to make it on the ship on time?

2pm - the 'all aboard time' you've been given is not correct, just a scare tactic to encourage folks to be prompt. As long as you reach the ship by 90mins before departure you'll be meeting the CBP requirement for the passenger manifest to be submitted. 2pm is actually the beginning of the timeframe I usually recommend folks to show up as queues start dropping reliably by then!

Most ships list a departure of more often 5pm than 4pm, so aiming for 2 hours beforehand usually means 3pm and this is the sweetspot for minimal queues - noonish until at least 1:30pm is usually the peak, but it can drag on until after 2pm on a 3 or 4 ship day. If other ships have a later departure time you'll find their pax may even have suggested arrival times of up to 3pm (Princess/HAL have been pushing the 'board by deck' system for years so first-timers may actually show up when suggested!)

The important thing if you're looking to maximise your sightseeing before boarding is to plan what you are doing before embarkation sensibly - be aware that there are serious traffic bottlenecks around downtown Vancouver. Personally I would deem it a totally rational decision to aim for 2pm arrival at the pier provided that you are going to be within walking distance, i.e. touring Gastown or Coal Harbour, riding FlyOverCanada, eating lunch near the pier sort of choices.

If you plan to be heading over to e.g. Capilano or anywhere else that involves a bridge you should do that first thing so you can definitely be back to near the pier by lunchtime - assuming that the scheduled shuttles will run on time is inviting disaster as there is always traffic on the bridge and even very minor fender-benders can cause huge tailbacks at any time of day.

Thanks. Yeah I'm looking into flying Seattle now instead of Vancouver. The bus takes you straight to Canada Place arriving at 12:35 PM estimated. Wasn't sure if that was calling it close or not. Been to Vancouver before so really don't care about sightseeing. The Amtrak from Seattle unfortunately is already sold out at the time that I would have needed. Norwegian lists the ship as departing at 4PM. 

Edited by FaithPlus1
ECEDCOEFDNC

I'd be sweating marbles with that plan. One good hiccup and your screwed. The crossing the border can be a nightmare sometimes. Is this bus a cruise line transfer or the Quick shuttle? Have you thought about flying in the day before and staying in the Vancouver area? We won't cruise out of Vancouver anymore, to much of a PITA!

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

"When is the absolute latest time" planning is not the logical, adult, smart way to plan things. Just sets you up for Murphy's Law, which is not your friend.  

Yep... did that last week in Alaska.  All aboard time was 8:30pm.  I decided on a stroll to work off that dinner food coma.  I timed my arrival to be at 8:25pm.  At 8:15 the ship starting calling the cabin and my cellphone to ask where was I.

Won't making that mistake again.

3 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Thanks. Yeah I'm looking into flying Seattle now instead of Vancouver. The bus takes you straight to Canada Place arriving at 12:35 PM estimated. Wasn't sure if that was calling it close or not.

Well that puts a whole different spin on things - it's one thing to be in town already and just efficiently using your available hours in-port, but a totally different matter to be on the wrong side of the border with less than 2 hours padding on your scheduled arrival time!!!

Everything I warned about re: being the wrong side of a bridge from downtown goes double for the border, especially on a bus. For all that folks rave about the separate bus lane, most forget or are unaware that you are stuck with all the other traffic until very close to the border - if regular traffic delays get even close to one hour, the buses cannot reach the point where their lane exits the main road. Then there's the fact they only use one crossing, the issue that even one person getting extra attention from CBSA delays the entire busload, and this year with DUIs now a Serious Crime (so no more 'deemed rehabilitated' exemptions allowed) means a whole mess more than usual US citizens getting bounced back...

The only way I'd risk a same-day flight to Seattle is by renting a car at the airport so that I could choose from multiple border crossing points and guarantee that nobody else in the vehicle is going to cause me a delay - but frankly I'd be looking at altering my flight to arrive at YVR even if it means paying a change fee.

OP,  just checking if you will be  traveling with more than your Global Entry card as proof of US citizenship.

(Passport, passport card, Enhanced Drivers License, NEXUS card, certified/original birth certificate  w/gov't issued photo ID)

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

OP,  just checking if you will be  traveling with more than your Global Entry card as proof of US citizenship.

(Passport, passport card, Enhanced Drivers License, NEXUS card, certified/original birth certificate  w/gov't issued photo ID)

Yeah. I have a passport, the Real ID, etc. All I brought last time was just my passport and the Trusted Traveler ID. There was no initial at the port. 

2 hours ago, Lady Slim said:

I have a Voucher that I’m selling for $120 if you’re still  interested pls let me know how I can contact you.

de

la 

boba  

@     g   mail   .com 

Thanks!

If you will be taking the train back from Vancouver to Seattle the Global Entry card allows you to board the train first.  Other than that we saw no advantage in having it. We took the train between Seattle and Vancouver before and after our Vancouver cruise last month.  

• 2 months later...

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but do we only need a US passport and our cruise docs to fly into and cruise out of Vancouver? I've never been to Canada before and my research seems to indicate that US passport holders are exempt from all the visa requirements (if staying less than 180 days), but I still want to confirm.

40 minutes ago, Arkansasgirl412 said:

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but do we only need a US passport and our cruise docs to fly into and cruise out of Vancouver? I've never been to Canada before and my research seems to indicate that US passport holders are exempt from all the visa requirements (if staying less than 180 days), but I still want to confirm.

US passport holders are indeed exempt from eTA or Visa requirements - provided you have a clean criminal record! Flying in, driving, taking the train... a passport will get you across the border just fine regardless of the method used.

Sorry if this has been explained before.

We are flying from Dallas-Vancouver next month.

What is approx time to clear customs, etc. at the airport?

We have Global Entry, but as I understand it, does us no good in Vancouver.

Long line for American citizens entering Canada?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, BridgeMates said:

...What is approx time to clear customs, etc. at the airport?

We have Global Entry, but as I understand it, does us no good in Vancouver.

GE will help at the pier when boarding; and if it's a RT cruise it'll also help you at YVR when you are leaving; but unfortunately yes, GE is no good for getting INTO Canada.

Time varies considerably - could be 10 mins or less if not many other flights around the same time as yours, could be well over an hour if you touch down just after a few Asian widebody flights arrive. I would ballpark it at about an hour from getting off the plane to do immigration, collect luggage, hand over customs form and hit the arrivals hall - but it could be anywhere from half that to twice as long. Then you're looking at around 30-40mins to the pier (or downtown hotels) whether you take a cab, limo, or SkyTrain.

Please don't fly in same day unless you have a very early flight with later options that still arrive in time to board, and enough Status that your airline will rebook you preferentially in the event of any problems with your scheduled flight...