Help please! - urgent advice regarding Cunard AU cruise waitlist

Hi All,

Need some advise from the experienced cruisers please.

We are on a wailtist for a 2 night Cunard cruise in December 2019. The cruise is sold out. We are only waitlisted for Queens Grill. Is there any chance/likelihood we may get a cabin?

Backstory is that we have 3 other Queens Grill cabins booked for this cruise for my parents surprise 50th wedding anniversary celebration. My husband and I were originally in a 4th cabin on a longer cruise starting 6 days earlier but due to an unbreakable work commitment have had to cancel but we could still make the short cruise everyone else is already booked on. Cunard is unable/unwilling to break our booking into the two portions of the cruise (6 days then 2 days instead of the originally booked 8 days) despite the fact that the 6 day portion is still on sale but sold out in Queens Grill and the 2 day is totally sold out.

Our problem is - do we pay the balance on the 3 cabins and hope like hell my husband and I clear the waitlist or do we cancel the other 3 cabins and "miss the boat" on this way to celebrate.

Any experiences or advice greatly appreciated.

Emma

To be honest, cancellations on 2 night cruises are rare. Especially as you say it's in December where people are looking for a break, and business winds down, I'd say chances are low.

There'll always be cancellations, but chances are low as there's less change of mind/cost for 2 days, so it's only where dictated by other circumstances.

The one thing I'd say is that it sounds like it's also sold as part of an 8 night cruise? If so, then if that doesn't sell well there's a better chance they'll split those into waitlist bookings. If it is part of another cruise, I'd probably hold on (and hope!), but keep an eye on how that is selling.

Edited by The_Big_M

Emma, would you consider waitlisting a balcony or club balcony as a safety measure, as opposed to the limited number of suites available, you will have more of a chance of securing a balcony, once final payment is due, there will always be people who cancel when time to pay up is upon them, especially around Xmas time you could be in luck.  Definitely speak to your TA, they should have some idea of the waitlisted numbers.

Thanks for all your advice everyone. We have ended up cancelling the entire trip, all 4 cabins. FYI though, the second we cancelled with our agent, we received an email saying we had cleared the cunard waitlist so it does definitely work. 🙂

32 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Thanks for all your advice everyone. We have ended up cancelling the entire trip, all 4 cabins. FYI though, the second we cancelled with our agent, we received an email saying we had cleared the cunard waitlist so it does definitely work. 🙂

A shame for your family, what are you planning to do instead?

We are Sydney based but the other 6  including the 'rents are all out of Melbourne. Think it is going to end up being a slap up flower drum dinner or a private dining room somewhere. Not very exciting compared but will be lovely I am sure.

[6]

Adelaide to Melbourne Departing Adelaide  
[Cruise Map]
 Thursday, 12 December 2019
 2 Nights
 Queen Elizabeth
 Up To $100 Onboard Credit*
 Twin From $988 pp
 Triple From $824 pp

[3]
Cruise Sampler
Departing Brisbane  
[Cruise Map]
 Friday, 13 December 2019
 3 Nights
 Pacific Aria
 Twin From $422 pp
 Quad From $375 pp

[3]
Cruise Sampler
Departing Brisbane  
[Cruise Map]
 Saturday, 14 December 2019
 3 Nights
 Pacific Dawn
 Twin From $428 pp
 Quad From $328 pp
[3]
Cruise Sampler
Departing Sydney  
[Cruise Map]
 Saturday, 14 December 2019
 3 Nights
 Pacific Explorer
 Twin From $399 pp
 Quad From $335 pp

During the Boxing Day sales I booked my father & brother on the queen elizabeth 2 night cruise from Melbourne to Sydney. They wanted to see the upgrades since they had last sailed on her.

i was going as well but they had sold out on kids spaces. I called Cunard to be wait listed in every cabin category and called them right before sailing date. No such luck. No cancellations.

On 6/8/2019 at 8:38 AM, e&mcruise said:

Thanks Mic but getting hubby (let alone the 'rents) on to a P&O is NEVER ever going to happen.  Think we will be land lubbers for this event. 🙂

I agree. I wouldn't suggest P&O for someone who had booked on Cunard. I wonder if one of the fancy hotels in Sydney might have a penthouse or two that you could book, then arrange for a catered dinner for the main celebration dinner.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:38 AM, e&mcruise said:

Thanks Mic but getting hubby (let alone the 'rents) on to a P&O is NEVER ever going to happen.  Think we will be land lubbers for this event. 🙂

What about the Cunard one?