Trump Administration announces suspension of all cruise ship travel to Cuba

Giventofly

25 minutes ago, Gregoryfo said:

We, hopefully, have a Cuba cruise that leaves August 3 and I have not gotten any emails from Carnival.  I just checked and they are still offering excursions for the trip.  Not sure if your friend's office mate was being dramatic or has a cruise later in August.  Our cruise only has 39 cabins remaining, with a 2100 passenger capacity, so hopefully that will be enough to avoid changing port stops.  

Same here - sailing August 3rd from Tampa. Have not received anything either...I even logged into the site to check for alerts etc. but nothing. I noted too that they were still selling excursions. 

I believe the deadline for payment on that sailing was today (I paid mine a long time ago so I don't remember exactly). 

2 minutes ago, danv3 said:

RCI canceled port stops in Cuba on its next two sailings (starting tomorrow). 

Source? We just booked a sailing for Aug 4 and we're freaking out. We can get 75% of our payment back today if we cancel, but today's the last day. 

Just now, shellindc said:

Source? We just booked a sailing for Aug 4 and we're freaking out. We can get 75% of our payment back today if we cancel, but today's the last day. 

Its on the RCL website 

1 minute ago, shellindc said:

A website that can’t be linked here. With Royal Caribbean and blog in its name. 

32 minutes ago, navy60wife said:

The cruise line will refund you. Not your fault.

I wouldn’t assume that. As of now, these cruises aren’t cancelled, only some ports are changing. That’s well within the cruise lines’ rights under most cruise contracts. Some lines may end up choosing to offer refunds or allow people to change reservations, but there’s no guarantee at this point. 

Edited by danv3

It will be interesting to see how the cruise lines deal with this.  My RCL cruise is entirely made up of 3 days in Cuba (plus CoCo Cay thrown in).  It will be hard to just switch to some generic Caribbean ports and be like "here you go - have a mojito!"

Not in any way blaming the cruiselines at all on this, but we wanted Cuba so we were fine on a small ship with no amenities because this is a cultural destination cruise.  But if it turns into a generic Mexico / Jamaica / Bahamas /insert port name then the lack of amenities comes into play.

The amount I paid for my cruise is way more than I would have paid on a larger / newer cruise to generic ports.  The thing is the cruise lines cannot win in the situation nor can the passengers nor the people of Cuba.  I am 10 days out so I will cross my fingers...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Passengers booked on NCL have received this message in their account online, as per a posting on the NCL board:

We regret to inform you that today the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and have begun to update itineraries for upcoming sailings. Rest assured that we will communicate to our guests and travel partners as soon as additional information becomes available. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we assess this recent unexpected development and the resulting impact to cruise travel to Cuba.

I wonder if the Norwegian Sun that was set to dock in Havana tomorrow is included in this decision. I can’t express how happy and lucky I feel to have sailed to Havana last week aboard the Norwegian Sun.

26 minutes ago, Almagetty said:

Passengers booked on NCL have received this message in their account online, as per a posting on the NCL board:

We regret to inform you that today the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and have begun to update itineraries for upcoming sailings. Rest assured that we will communicate to our guests and travel partners as soon as additional information becomes available. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we assess this recent unexpected development and the resulting impact to cruise travel to Cuba.

I wonder if the Norwegian Sun that was set to dock in Havana tomorrow is included in this decision. I can’t express how happy and lucky I feel to have sailed to Havana last week aboard the Norwegian Sun.

I was sailing to Cuba on July 1...no word on my account at NCL yet regarding new Itinerary.  Lucky you!  My nightmare became a reality. :(

2 hours ago, danv3 said:

I wouldn’t assume that. As of now, these cruises aren’t cancelled, only some ports are changing. That’s well within the cruise lines’ rights under most cruise contracts. Some lines may end up choosing to offer refunds or allow people to change reservations, but there’s no guarantee at this point. 

Yes, of course I meant if its within the clear GUIDELINES the cruise lines set in their contract.  They will just NOT take your money and run.  lol!

4 minutes ago, navy60wife said:

I was sailing to Cuba on July 1...no word on my account at NCL yet regarding new Itinerary.  Lucky you!  My nightmare became a reality. 😞

I’m very sorry for you. 😞 My brother and his family are booked in mid-July. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the cruise line attorneys find a loophole of some sort.

I'm booked on the NCL Sky's August 31 sailing that was supposed to stop in Cuba.

I just received this message in my NCL Inbox: 

"We regret to inform you that today the United States government announced new and immediate travel restrictions to Cuba. As a result, we have ceased all calls to the country and have begun to update itineraries for upcoming sailings. Rest assured that we will communicate to our guests and travel partners as soon as additional information becomes available. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we assess this recent unexpected development and the resulting impact to cruise travel to Cuba."

VERY  Disappointed.

2 hours ago, Almagetty said:

Sun is apparently skipping Cuba.

I’m booked on a July Cuba cruise with RCL and received this. I at least appreciate that the email came quickly after the restriction announcement and that they gave a clear timeline for the next update.

Dear Guest, 

Today, the United States government shared that educational and recreational (or people-to-people) travel to Cuba is no longer permitted and you may be wondering how this affects your upcoming cruise. Please know, we are assessing what these changes mean for all of our future Cuba cruises and we kindly ask for your patience. We promise to share an update with you and your Travel Partner by tomorrow, June 6th, at 6:00 PM EST

Thank you for your patience, we will be in touch soon!

We are booked on the July 13 sailing of Majesty. I paid a premium for this cruise because Cuba has been on my bucket list for a long time. Majesty would not have been my first choice for a cruise otherwise. I hope RC will at least provide partial refunds or onboard credit if they will not allow cancellations. 

4 minutes ago, shirleygr said:

We are booked on the July 13 sailing of Majesty. I paid a premium for this cruise because Cuba has been on my bucket list for a long time. Majesty would not have been my first choice for a cruise otherwise. I hope RC will at least provide partial refunds or onboard credit if they will not allow cancellations. 

I agree with this. I’m on the same cruise as you and I wouldn’t have picked this ship had it been going anywhere else. We definitely need some money back if we can’t cancel completely. Carnival is letting people get full refunds, so I am hoping Royal Caribbean follows suit. 

• Thanks 1

I am so glad I went in October, it was a beautiful visit and the people were so nice and 😀

Welcoming, i feel sorry for anyone who booked and was excited to go, but I feel worse for the poor Cuban people who so depend on tourism to make ends meet.

They are so poor, it is so sad..😥