4 Night Hilton Voucher Cruise

My husband and I have cruised 4 times with our children (now 16 and 19) on Carnival 7-8 night cruises.  We have a voucher for 4 night Royal Caribbean for just the 2 of us and were looking at Mariner from Orlando or Navigator from Miami - both go to Nassau and Cococay - we haven't been to either.  Looking at sometime between October and May, trying to balance schedules, airline rewards and weather. Any suggestions as to which ship, departure port or best time to go.  And anything we should know about cruising on Royal Caribbean. Also I know it's an inside cabin, just not sure if we get to pick which one, but any advice on that is appreciated as well.  Thanks

33 minutes ago, familycruzinnewbie said:

Any suggestions as to which ship, departure port or best time to go.  And anything we should know about cruising on Royal Caribbean. 

The ships are the basically the same, pick the one with easier/cheaper/better flights/logistics. Read some threads about the two ships.

Edited by Biker19

33 minutes ago, familycruzinnewbie said:

My husband and I have cruised 4 times with our children (now 16 and 19) on Carnival 7-8 night cruises.  We have a voucher for 4 night Royal Caribbean for just the 2 of us and were looking at Mariner from Orlando or Navigator from Miami - both go to Nassau and Cococay - we haven't been to either.  Looking at sometime between October and May, trying to balance schedules, airline rewards and weather. Any suggestions as to which ship, departure port or best time to go.  And anything we should know about cruising on Royal Caribbean. Also I know it's an inside cabin, just not sure if we get to pick which one, but any advice on that is appreciated as well.  Thanks

Our first cruise with Royal Caribbean was with one of those Hilton Vouchers.  One of the things we discovered that you may not have known is that you aren't restricted to the 3 and 4 night cruises like bold print on the front of it indicates.  You can pick any cruise in their inventory and they will give you $500 credit towards it.  That is what we did.  We chose a 7 night Western Caribbean Cruise out of Galveston in a balcony cabin, which we were able to select.  The total for that was apx. $1200 and  I paid $700 plus the voucher.  Not that wouldn'tI  go on a 3 or 4 day, we did at a different time, but it is just another option for you to choose from.

We were able to pick our room from all available inventory so I suspect that you will too.  Remember March and early April is spring break time and the shorter itineraries are going to be dominated by 20 something college students and that the cruise will have a different feel than other times or longer itineraries.  Not that that is bad... Just not for everybody and something for you to consider. Early fall is hurricane season so those itineraries are much more subject change, cancelation and other weather related issues.  As far as choice of embarkation port Miami is so simple and easy it is ridiculous.  Orlando may be just as easy, Ive just never been through there.

The ships are essentially almost identical.  Both are Voyager class and both have been 'Amped'. I don't know that you will notice any real difference between then.  I'd probably base my decision on price, availability and convenience of the flights.

We recently took a cruise on Mariner, when it was still based in Miami, and absolutely loved it.  No matter what you choose I'm sure you will enjoy yourselves. 

Edited by Tree_skier

Yes I knew about the $500 credit, just wasn't sure if it's a better deal/discount to just stick with what's included. We have cruised from Miami, Port Canaveral and Ft Lauderdale.  We usually always fly down at least 2 days in advance as our weather is unpredictable and usually have a connection (there is a seasonal direct flight to Orlando that we've never hit schedule wise). We rented a car for Port Canaveral as we had the kids.  Dropping off and picking up a car in Port Canaveral can be crazy so we might use a shuttle if we did that. I have one in university, the other will be in senior year of high school and prob picking up a university course, so trying to not leave them at a bad time while they have mid terms or exams. I think Feb is ok but not sure it would be warm enough.