Suggestion for hotel between FLL and Key Largo?

robin16ak

We are flying in the evening of July 26th for the CCL Magic cruise on the 28th.  We are getting a rental car and would like to spend the day of the 27th at Pennekamp park on Key Largo.  We spent time there after another cruise a few years ago and loved it.  We don't mind a bit of a drive, we live in Alaska and regularly drive 2 hours each way for Wal-Mart and medical care 🙂  

I can't decide between a hotel near the FLL airport and the port, or possibly splitting the distance between FLL and Key Largo.  I'm not sure where to look for other hotels outside of FLL- I checked some in Dania Beach, but they were just as expensive as the ones near the port.  Florida City seems cheaper and is much closer to Key Largo.  Any suggestions or recommendations for places in between, or do you think it's best to just stay near the port for the convenience on embarkation day?  

Thanks in advance!  Bonus points if the hotel is near a Target, as we don't have one near us and I want to raid the Dollar Spot for stuff for my classrooom.  

We've stayed at the Fairway Inn Florida City when we trailer the boat down to the keys.

It's cheap and includes breakfast and we can beat the morning traffic to the keys.  It's a couple hundred yards from Card Sound Road.

However, if you are heading to John Pennekamp, I'd want to get back to FLL that night if you are cruising out the next day but that is just me.

I'd agree that you should stay in FLL. Key Largo is an easy day trip. Unless the plan was to stay in Key Largo, I see no reason to try and stay overnight in Florida City.  

Awesome, thank you for the recommendations.  I didn't even think about traffic, and with the cruise leaving on a Sunday, I imagine we'd hit lots of weekend traffic coming from the Keys while we are trying to get to the ship.  I will look for something in FLL.  I appreciate it!  

9 hours ago, robin16ak said:

Awesome, thank you for the recommendations.  I didn't even think about traffic, and with the cruise leaving on a Sunday, I imagine we'd hit lots of weekend traffic coming from the Keys while we are trying to get to the ship.  I will look for something in FLL.  I appreciate it!  

Good decision :classic_smile:

Agreed, since you are driving down to Kay Largo on a Saturday just stay near FLL/Port Everglades. No reason to split the distance IMO. You can be in Florida City from the FLL area on a Saturday morning in less than an hour.