Downtown Houston to Galveston port

Hi there! It's our first time cruising from Galveston and we have booked a few nights before the cruise to stay downtown in Houston. We are flying in from the UK so completely clueless about the best way to get from downtown Houston to Galveston and we would welcome your suggestions, please!

You are aware that Houston is very spread out and that there really isn't any viable public transportation? Just want you to be aware that you will be spending a lot on taxi/Uber to get from place to place. There is very little to do/see in the downtown area. Also, be aware that Galveston is at least 50 miles from downtown Houston.

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

You are aware that Houston is very spread out and that there really isn't any viable public transportation? Just want you to be aware that you will be spending a lot on taxi/Uber to get from place to place. There is very little to do/see in the downtown area. Also, be aware that Galveston is at least 50 miles from downtown Houston.

Thanks - we've already got our plans in place for the time in Houston - baseball, rooftop cinema, testing out bars like The Rustic, etc., and a brewery tour!

We know it's quite a distance between the two, we've looked at Uber but I was just wondering if people were aware of better options than that? Sorry if my question wasn't very clear!

2 hours ago, JasonKAMEmilFear said:

Thanks - we've already got our plans in place for the time in Houston - baseball, rooftop cinema, testing out bars like The Rustic, etc., and a brewery tour!

We know it's quite a distance between the two, we've looked at Uber but I was just wondering if people were aware of better options than that? Sorry if my question wasn't very clear!

Glad to hear that you've done your homework. It's funny, I've lived in Houston all of my 72 years and you are doing things that I've never done and probably never will. We never do what's in our own back yard. There are several private transfer services that get mentioned here, but, as I said, I live here and have never used them. Check out other threads on this board to get the names. Hopefully, others who have used the services will chime in with their experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 2:19 AM, Galveston Cruiser said:
On 6/21/2019 at 9:01 PM, George C said:

We normally Uber or get a town car via limo service 

Uber, Lyft, Taxi or Limo will be the only means of transportation from Houston to Galveston.

Cheers, I think we will be using Uber! Looking forward to seeing what Houston has to offer!

6 hours ago, courtlynndear said:

Uber is the most financially friendly option to get from Houston to Galveston's port. I also recommend spending the night before in Galveston, as you never know what Houston traffic is going to do. 

We stay In Houston many times before cruise , more hotel options at better prices , depending on what available in Galveston. But we fly into hobby which is shorter drive. Also get Lyft app sometimes lyft is much cheaper than Uber. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, ssb said:

There are six motels on HW 45 just over causeway now coming into town near 61st street . One nights are available most of the time . 

A other  new hotels on Seawall Blvd . 

Thank you!!!