Celebrity App texting onboard

plagmah

My family is on Millennium next week. We are in 3 cabins with 3 booking numbers. Will I be able to group text to everyone or just my wife who is on my reservation.  

TIA

alaska or bust

Everyone will need that App, and then they will all need to OK accepting each other's text messages. See one of the tech people near the computer center who can quickly set up all of your phones with each of you. One drawback, so far, no "ping/tone" when a text is received.....and some messages seem to take a few minutes to go through. You have to keep opening the App to see if you have any messages......annoying. Used it on the Summit last month, it was good to leave messages for others, but needs work to be truly functional like real texting.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill
  • Thanks 1

When I was on the Edge, the messages would show as an alert sometimes if you had notifications selected.  Other times it wouldn't work like that, but we were able to leave messages telling our friends where we were.  It worked out, and was nice instead of trying to locate them all over the ship.

Here is a little more info that I saw on Cruise Critic about texting (I saved the info but not the screen name of the person who shared -sorry):

"Although you can download the app before you get on the ship, the app only works while on the ship. Once on the ship, there is a tab to link users. You must enter a cabin number & their date of birth. If everyone has downloaded the app, when you call up 1 person in a cabin, all individuals in that cabin should pop up. You must then link yourself to those individuals & they must link themselves to you. You should then text them (through the app, not your phone texting) and they should text you back to know that the link was established. Sometimes the app froze & shutting off the phone & turning it back on helped. The Tech guy on board is wonderful, but there is only 1 guy & the line is so long the first couple of days."

Edited by vtcruising

We used the app in January on Edge for texting.  There were 5 of us and we had no problem communicating with each via the app.  The only problem we encountered was that none of us had our phone in our hand opened to the Celebrity app constantly.  If you are going to rely on messaging via the app to communicate you have to consciously make an effort to take out your phone and open the app and look for messages periodically as there is no alert (i.e., vibrate, message notification ding, etc.) to alert you that you have a message.  Of course, we found by the time we read a message from someone the message was no longer relevant (i.e., sending a message a 2 pm saying we're in Al Bacio having a coffee if you want to join us.   By the time I read the message it was 3:15 pm and my friends were no longer in Al Bacio!)

3 minutes ago, jcpc said:

We used the app in January on Edge for texting.  There were 5 of us and we had no problem communicating with each via the app.  The only problem we encountered was that none of us had our phone in our hand opened to the Celebrity app constantly.  If you are going to rely on messaging via the app to communicate you have to consciously make an effort to take out your phone and open the app and look for messages periodically as there is no alert (i.e., vibrate, message notification ding, etc.) to alert you that you have a message.  Of course, we found by the time we read a message from someone the message was no longer relevant (i.e., sending a message a 2 pm saying we're in Al Bacio having a coffee if you want to join us.   By the time I read the message it was 3:15 pm and my friends were no longer in Al Bacio!)

We had the same problem - the tech set it up for my DH, but I didn't know. He was texting about where to meet him and I didn't know until I saw him again and he said "Didn't you get my texts?" He was a bit clueless in that we both had unlimited Wi-Fi and had been able to text without using the app (he is a reluctant iphone user). We used Wi-Fi texting for the rest of the cruise so that we would get the vibrate or ding alert. Luckily, our friends also both had unlimited Wi-Fi so we could communicate with them as well.

I'll probably use the app on some cruises for communication when we don't have unlimited Wi-Fi, but I'm not sure all my cruise buddies will want to share their birthdays....😉