Share your secrets!

angelsfort

6 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Thank you for sharing.  We will have to attend one of these events.

I go and they are pretty cool events.  And you dont have to sit in the balcony, we dont bite. For me it is kinda like going home.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:49 PM, Bowman1 said:

We never miss the cruise directors morning show (only occurs on sea days)

They will often give out prizes (tee shirts, ships on a stick and even champagne)

I totally agree with this, and am really surprised by how few people show up to those shows. I really enjoyed Schwarz' morning show on the Breeze last year. Wasn't very impressed with NoNo, but it was still an okay way to spend half an hour.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 7:56 AM, Anyislandwilldo said:

What exactly goes on during this event?  We have never attended this event.  I thought it was just for Military personell.

A few years ago aboard the Conquest, it wasn't that big of an event at all. The CD (I forget his name, he retired that year) didn't do much. He just had all the Vets in the audience stand and he went around to each one letting them introduce themselves. It was pretty short. However, last year aboard the Glory, CD Dustin made a bigger ceremony out of it. Just like the pictures someone posted, he had all of us come up on stage with our particular branch of service, let us introduce ourselves, and say a few words. If I remember correctly, I think Dustin even said that attendance for the event had been growing, so they were trying to make it more special.

Agree with comments on Military Appreciation event. Neither my husband or I served in the military, however both our fathers did and my uncle was killed-in-action in WWII ....  we like to attend to show our support and appreciation. 

On Royal, we have attended events for Veterans Day which happened to fall during a couple of our cruises, but Carnival is great to do this event on every cruise. The event on Horizon was excellent and uplifting. 

1 hour ago, mets07 said:

Agree with comments on Military Appreciation event. Neither my husband or I served in the military, however both our fathers did and my uncle was killed-in-action in WWII ....  we like to attend to show our support and appreciation. 

On Royal, we have attended events for Veterans Day which happened to fall during a couple of our cruises, but Carnival is great to do this event on every cruise. The event on Horizon was excellent and uplifting.

That's good to hear. We'll be on Horizon next March.

A few years ago, it just so happened to fall on the anniversary date of D-Day. No one said anything about it, so I took the opportunity to get on the mic and pay respects to those who served that day. My grandpa landed in Normandy on D-Day and fought in the battle of Remagen. Voicing my appreciation for what they did was the least I could do. For that appreciation gathering, it was just a single slide on the screen saying Carnival Military Appreciation. Last year they played a recorded message from Christine Duffy, they had different slides for each branch, plus some other slides. So they are putting some effort into making it nicer. Good for them.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:34 AM, Erik101 said:

Stay on the ship during one of your port days.  For example, on our next cruise on the Horizon, we will not be getting off the ship in Jamaica.  Take advantage of the light foot traffic at the pools, the discounts at the spa (though I think they're still overpriced) and being able to go to any of the decks without having to dodge other cruisers.  

I agree with this advice.  Typically on one port day (especially one we've been to already), we will stay on the ship and enjoy the pool when it's uncrowded.  Our next cruise is in a Havana Cabana room so we will definitely be enjoying an empty pool area.  

The other thing to look out for is the tea time.  This usualy only happens on sea days but it is in the MDR where they serve a large selection of teas and finger foods/desserts to go along with the teas.  Very relaxing and is usually great conversation with those who attend.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, jbethel11 said:

Go down to the Lanai Promenade during sail away! No one else was there where I was, even on a sold out sailing from the best sail away port in the world, New York!

I love this one...  its exactly the kind of "secrets" that I'm looking for!   thanks!

On 6/5/2019 at 12:57 PM, bnorris10 said:

piano bar .. if your daughter likes singing she can ask the piano man to let her sing along and most of them love it when they do that 

we'll try it!  thanks!!

On 6/5/2019 at 6:11 PM, Joebucks said:

I'd honestly say the best secret is forgoing most internet advice. Get out of the room, experience all that you can. What works for one person is the worst idea to the next. You never know what you'll find. There is so much going on!

LOL  we always explore the ship - I'm not really looking for "advice" here...  just asking what everyone else has discovered, maybe its something we'd like to do too!!  

On 6/6/2019 at 6:34 AM, Erik101 said:

Stay on the ship during one of your port days.  For example, on our next cruise on the Horizon, we will not be getting off the ship in Jamaica.  Take advantage of the light foot traffic at the pools, the discounts at the spa (though I think they're still overpriced) and being able to go to any of the decks without having to dodge other cruisers.  

we're doing one short excursion in Nassau but the rest of the time we'll be on the ship...  we've been to that post so many times, we've almost done everything!!!  LOL  (we MAY go wander around the straw market, see if there's anything new - but maybe not)

13 hours ago, angelsfort said:

we're doing one short excursion in Nassau but the rest of the time we'll be on the ship...  we've been to that post so many times, we've almost done everything!!!  LOL  (we MAY go wander around the straw market, see if there's anything new - but maybe not)

You are far more courageous than I am when it comes to going to the straw market.  The first and only time I went inside the tent was hot, humid crowded and it stunk.  It was 15 minutes of my life that I will never get back.  Never again! 

32 minutes ago, Erik101 said:

You are far more courageous than I am when it comes to going to the straw market.  The first and only time I went inside the tent was hot, humid crowded and it stunk.  It was 15 minutes of my life that I will never get back.  Never again! 

The Straw Market hasn't been in a tent for several years.  It was in a tent for about a decade after the fire that destroyed the original building in 2001.  Then, in 2011, the new Straw Market building was finally finished and opened.  It looks like this:

image.png.871c4b3ec86c2ae8a897e9a43af1022b.png

It's very large - 37,000 sq ft,  two storeys, and air-conditioned.  It houses 500 vendor stalls (in admittedly long, tight aisles that might make some shoppers feel uncomfortable) on the lower level,  as well as having a large, central open area.  The building has an elevator, a speaker system, a stage area for shows, and several points of entry.

You might consider giving the Straw Market another try.  The Bahamian government has tried to make it more palatable to tourists, and the vendors certainly need the customers.  Yes, there is crime in Nassau - it's "the big city" of the Bahamas.  There's always a chance of an oblivious tourist being pick-pocketed anywhere crowded in Nassau.  I've seen pick pockets on the prowl there, myself.  And some vendors can seem pushy.  And a good portion of the wares sold in the Straw Market is cheap crap imported from Asia.  But there are also opportunities for good deals to be had on genuine and beautiful Bahamian-made art and wares from honest, hard-working Bahamian artists, craftspeople, and vendors.  Most are willing to haggle.  And all that I have ever met have been friendly and appreciative.

I'm sorry to go on so.  I just think The Straw Market, Nassau, and The Bahamas in general get a bad rap on these boards and aren't always given a fair chance.  I love the Bahamas, and the Bahamian people, in general, and in many specifics.  And I would like to see more people willing to "get off the ship" and give Nassau a try. (Just don't go "over the hill", and keep your wits about you as you would in any city.:classic_wink:)

• Like 1

I've been to the straw market twice and both time hated it.  Didn't buy anything as the vendors were so pushy and rude that they just turned me off and we left after 10 minutes.  Won't ever go back there again, and frankly we try not to even boook a cruise that stops there as it's a waste of a port.  If we do go back to Nassau, the only way we would get off the ship is for an excursion.

I think bringing a Hoodie or Sweater of some sort would be beneficial. There are areas on ships where it's just Cold!! This may not be the "Secret" you were looking for but just something I thought I'd mention. I get cold easy so staying as warm as I can is important to me. 

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

The Straw Market hasn't been in a tent for several years.  It was in a tent for about a decade after the fire that destroyed the original building in 2001.  Then, in 2011, the new Straw Market building was finally finished and opened.  It looks like this:

image.png.871c4b3ec86c2ae8a897e9a43af1022b.png

It's very large - 37,000 sq ft,  two storeys, and air-conditioned.  It houses 500 vendor stalls (in admittedly long, tight aisles that might make some shoppers feel uncomfortable) on the lower level,  as well as having a large, central open area.  The building has an elevator, a speaker system, a stage area for shows, and several points of entry.

You might consider giving the Straw Market another try.  The Bahamian government has tried to make it more palatable to tourists, and the vendors certainly need the customers.  Yes, there is crime in Nassau - it's "the big city" of the Bahamas.  There's always a chance of an oblivious tourist being pick-pocketed anywhere crowded in Nassau.  I've seen pick pockets on the prowl there, myself.  And some vendors can seem pushy.  And a good portion of the wares sold in the Straw Market is cheap crap imported from Asia.  But there are also opportunities for good deals to be had on genuine and beautiful Bahamian-made art and wares from honest, hard-working Bahamian artists, craftspeople, and vendors.  Most are willing to haggle.  And all that I have ever met have been friendly and appreciative.

I'm sorry to go on so.  I just think The Straw Market, Nassau, and The Bahamas in general get a bad rap on these boards and aren't always given a fair chance.  I love the Bahamas, and the Bahamian people, in general, and in many specifics.  And I would like to see more people willing to "get off the ship" and give Nassau a try. (Just don't go "over the hill", and keep your wits about you as you would in any city.:classic_wink:)

Thanks for the update and info!  It has been more than 10 years since I’ve been to the market and I just might give it another go.  But I will say that my past experience there was awful!  I should have just bypass the market and straight to Senor Frog’s for a drink. 

• Thanks 1