Currently on the Armonia - Captain just announced we will not be docking in Havana 😢

travelingtink

4 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

I know but just curious as to what additional activities were added since it's only supposed to be 1 sea day and is now 2.

It was just that you also requested the activities pages for the other days that prompted my post.  🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Actually, I said boarding day as the OP has same ititnerey we do or I thought I only stated that.

Sorry ... I misread it to mean all the days - beginning with the boarding day (as in "from") whereas you meant the activities list "for" boarding day.  (Not correcting your grammar as there was nothing wrong with it. Just explaining why I misread it).

Sorry for being MIA. I just decided to disconnect, ignore the 'real' world and enjoy my time away from home. 

MSC updated the credit to $400 per stateroom. It was nonrefundable and had to be used for onboard charges (bar, service fees, shopping) or excursions. I visited my friends at Effy and got the earrings I had been eyeing.

There was also a lot of confusion for those that had booked MSC excursions for Cuba. My tablemates were told different answers every time. Sadly I didn't collect any contact information to find out how it all played out. I interpreted the letter as stating that MSC would refund the excursion cost and provide an additional $100. Some people were told that the $100 was to cover the cost of the cancelled excursion so this was in a sense their 'refund'. Others were told that only the 'people to people' excursions qualified for this money. Some were told it had to be spent on MSC, like the onboard credits. And others were told they would be handed $100 in cash when disembarking. 

A staged protest happened on Sunday night. A large group traveling I believe from Puerto Rico had gathered signatures but I never took the time to try to understand what they were seeking. A table mate stated they heard it was due to us only receiving the $400 credit, while other lines were providing actual refunds rather than money that had to stay with MSC.  On Sunday evening they gathered near Guest Services to state their demands. I overheard that things got very heated, but when I was there watching everyone was peaceful. It seemed like all the officers were there, but not the captain, and several of the security personnel. I heard one woman make a statement (while many many people recorded it, you might be able to find it posted somewhere). One of the officers gave a response, there were a few questions, then it pretty much ended. This was all in Spanish so I have no idea what was said. I did hear, in English, at the tail end, the officer stated MSC would follow up with anyone who had signed the list. 

There were more games/activities on the pool deck during the sea day. They created an MSC Festival which was basically a ploy to get us drunk so we would forget lol. They had free flowing beers, rum punch, white and red sangrias and bananas foster (minus the flambe). It was supposed to run for 1 hour but they started pouring early so we had 90 minutes of free drinks. 

They brought on some Italian performers Saturday night to replace the Cuban dancers and had 3 show times to accommodate everyone. I did not see the show so I can't comment on it. 

• Like 1

Just now, travelingtink said:

Sorry for being MIA. I just decided to disconnect, ignore the 'real' world and enjoy my time away from home. 

MSC updated the credit to $400 per stateroom. It was nonrefundable and had to be used for onboard charges (bar, service fees, shopping) or excursions. I visited my friends at Effy and got the earrings I had been eyeing.

There was also a lot of confusion for those that had booked MSC excursions for Cuba. My tablemates were told different answers every time. Sadly I didn't collect any contact information to find out how it all played out. I interpreted the letter as stating that MSC would refund the excursion cost and provide an additional $100. Some people were told that the $100 was to cover the cost of the cancelled excursion so this was in a sense their 'refund'. Others were told that only the 'people to people' excursions qualified for this money. Some were told it had to be spent on MSC, like the onboard credits. And others were told they would be handed $100 in cash when disembarking. 

A staged protest happened on Sunday night. A large group traveling I believe from Puerto Rico had gathered signatures but I never took the time to try to understand what they were seeking. A table mate stated they heard it was due to us only receiving the $400 credit, while other lines were providing actual refunds rather than money that had to stay with MSC.  On Sunday evening they gathered near Guest Services to state their demands. I overheard that things got very heated, but when I was there watching everyone was peaceful. It seemed like all the officers were there, but not the captain, and several of the security personnel. I heard one woman make a statement (while many many people recorded it, you might be able to find it posted somewhere). One of the officers gave a response, there were a few questions, then it pretty much ended. This was all in Spanish so I have no idea what was said. I did hear, in English, at the tail end, the officer stated MSC would follow up with anyone who had signed the list. 

There were more games/activities on the pool deck during the sea day. They created an MSC Festival which was basically a ploy to get us drunk so we would forget lol. They had free flowing beers, rum punch, white and red sangrias and bananas foster (minus the flambe). It was supposed to run for 1 hour but they started pouring early so we had 90 minutes of free drinks. 

They brought on some Italian performers Saturday night to replace the Cuban dancers and had 3 show times to accommodate everyone. I did not see the show so I can't comment on it. 

Thanks for the update. We look forward to your full review after you have settled in and all. Did the OBC go to whoever booked the cruise or did they spilt the amount by people in cabin (if there was 2 ppl each got 200?) Just curious. Did they offer shore excursions for Key West? I see most private tours don't operate on Sun, so kinda has me nervous...

One other thing. We received notice on Saturday that all passengers had to attend a face to face meeting with US Customs officials on Sunday morning and this had to be completed before we could disembark in Key West. They had 2 different meeting points based on whether you had a US passport or not, and we were assigned to groups. 

At my time, I lined up, showed my passport, the customs official looked at the passport, asked where i was from and waved me on. I was hoping he did not see the Havana visa stamp from my previous trip. Even though its dated, I just didn't want any attention brought to it. Fortunately he barely looked at my passport. Upon exiting the area, my cruise card was hole punched. You had to have that hole to be able to get off this ship in Key West. 

Once we arrived in Miami on Monday, there were no customs agents at the port. We just walked right on out of the luggage area. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Thanks for the update. We look forward to your full review after you have settled in and all. Did the OBC go to whoever booked the cruise or did they spilt the amount by people in cabin (if there was 2 ppl each got 200?) Just curious. Did they offer shore excursions for Key West? I see most private tours don't operate on Sun, so kinda has me nervous...

Yes, they did offer a few excursions. I remember the typical conch train and trolley options and a city tour. Also there were a few tour operators open at the pier and offering snorkeling, boat rides, fishing, etc. It was not as quiet as I had expected with it being a Sunday. Personally I booked the hop on hop off trolley on my own rather than paying MSC. 

I do know the credit could be separated among everyone in the cabin. I think you might have to ask for it though. I was traveling solo so it all went to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, travelingtink said:

Yes, they did offer a few excursions. I remember the typical conch train and trolley options and a city tour. Also there were a few tour operators open at the pier and offering snorkeling, boat rides, fishing, etc. It was not as quiet as I had expected with it being a Sunday. Personally I booked the hop on hop off trolley on my own rather than paying MSC. 

I do know the credit could be separated among everyone in the cabin. I think you might have to ask for it though. I was traveling solo so it all went to me. 

Thanks, I was hoping for the pub crawl or food tour... they are both fun... I'll have to check when we board. 

23 minutes ago, travelingtink said:

😂😂😂 if MSC wants to offset complaints upon arrival on ship (by some, I wouldn't do it)... they'll welcome at least the next few Armonia cruises with a rum punch, sangria or beef... to put all those stressed out ppl in a 'happy' mood. 

I've noticed that the arrival time in Roatan is suddenly showing as 12.00 noon (previously showed as midnight). The departure time is 6.00pm.  Is this definitely correct as hardly time to get off the ship. By the time you get off (which could easily be 1.00pm) you'll have  very little time as presumably you'll have an embarkation time of approximately 5.00pm for a departure at 6.00pm.

If this is the correct timings - poor show MSC!

Below is what was showing as the original itinerary/timings (obviously still had Cuba showing at that time)

image.png.bd2e4f60cff69345ff68200a0ccfc417.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Jallo said:

I've noticed that the arrival time in Roatan is suddenly showing as 12.00 noon (previously showed as midnight). The departure time is 6.00pm.  Is this definitely correct as hardly time to get off the ship. By the time you get off (which could easily be 1.00pm) you'll have  very little time as presumably you'll have an embarkation time of approximately 5.00pm for a departure at 6.00pm.

If this is the correct timings - poor show MSC!

Below is what was showing as the original itinerary/timings (obviously still had Cuba showing at that time)

image.png.bd2e4f60cff69345ff68200a0ccfc417.png

image.png

Roatan always docked at noon. According to our TA website months ago and our MSC booking on their site. It was on our original ititnerey.

Truly awful ship!

This morning we had no power in our room and half the ship.

Been waiting 50 minutes to get off in Jamaica .

They say internet is down! Instead of being at the all inclusive we paid for, we are standing in line staring at the dock!

Cancel if you can!

1 hour ago, Jellyfish21 said:

Truly awful ship!

They say internet is down! Instead of being at the all inclusive we paid for, we are standing in line staring at the dock!

Cancel if you can!

Oh no. Armonia will be my first MSC experience. Unfortunately if I cancel lose deposit 😔

Truly awful ship!

Cancel if you can!

It is unfortunate but these things happen to the newest of ships, ask Carnival!

Truly awful ship!

Cancel if you can!

Thank you for letting us know.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 2:51 PM, travelingtink said:

One other thing. We received notice on Saturday that all passengers had to attend a face to face meeting with US Customs officials on Sunday morning and this had to be completed before we could disembark in Key West. They had 2 different meeting points based on whether you had a US passport or not, and we were assigned to groups. 

At my time, I lined up, showed my passport, the customs official looked at the passport, asked where i was from and waved me on. I was hoping he did not see the Havana visa stamp from my previous trip. Even though its dated, I just didn't want any attention brought to it. Fortunately he barely looked at my passport. Upon exiting the area, my cruise card was hole punched. You had to have that hole to be able to get off this ship in Key West. 

Once we arrived in Miami on Monday, there were no customs agents at the port. We just walked right on out of the luggage area. 

Did they ask about alcohol being brought back to usa?

Just arrived back from Jamaica , for getting off late ( we waited 1 hour to get off due to their system being down,that’s one hour less at our all inclusive)

We got paper saying because of that, we will $100 per cabin obc next cruise.

Seriously? Why would anyone want to sail MSc again?

all pools closed on day 1?

check

old, crowded ship?

check

give least amount of compensation for missing Cuba of all lines?

check

lousy food? 

Check

no electricity in cabin and part of ship for most of morning?

check

lost hour in Jamaica waiting in dark, hot line for one hour because no internet or electricity

check

most cruises have lobster and prime rib formal night, MSC Armpitia had small portion of mediocre “lobster “ravioli and “ beef tornedos”

No, not as good as a tail and a slice of prime rib, but it’s cheaper, and I’m sure someone will give an anecdote about they like it better.

18 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Never asked us on boarding from ports, never saw a "booze check" table and wasn't asked in Miami

I wouldn't go nuts, but no one seems to care too much

So as long as you only go over by a bottle or 2, it probably won't be a big deal. Got it. (Really not sure what I'll bring home but I always grab something.)

We don't drink, but we buy booze for MIL, Dad, and got Havana Club as gifts, because it has the Cuban tax stamp

Didn't realize until like the last day we never saw a booze table at any port, I don't even remember them announcing about about booze return, night before departure

26 minutes ago, Jellyfish21 said:

Just arrived back from Jamaica , for getting off late ( we waited 1 hour to get off due to their system being down,that’s one hour less at our all inclusive)

We got paper saying because of that, we will $100 per cabin obc next cruise.

Seriously? Why would anyone want to sail MSc again?

all pools closed on day 1?

check

old, crowded ship?

check

give least amount of compensation for missing Cuba of all lines?

check

lousy food? 

Check

no electricity in cabin and part of ship for most of morning?

check

lost hour in Jamaica waiting in dark, hot line for one hour because no internet or electricity

check

most cruises have lobster and prime rib formal night, MSC Armpitia had small portion of mediocre “lobster “ravioli and “ beef tornedos”

No, not as good as a tail and a slice of prime rib, but it’s cheaper, and I’m sure someone will give an anecdote about they like it better.

I think you will find Carnival gave the least along with Virgin at $66!  Any more complaints ?

• Like 1

Just now, sidari said:

I think you will find Carnival gave the least along with Virgin at $66!  Any more complaints ?

I know. Am I happy that it got switched? No, would I have booked an older ship without Cuba? Probably not BUT... I have been on smaller, older ships before (i.e. Pacific Princess, the original love boat ship from the tv before they decommissioned her later that year). I've been on 20 or 21 cruises... and I've had things I didn't like or could have been done better... BUT... I still enjoyed them, still had fun. IF you go with expectation of being miserable and think you won't be satisfied... you won't.  I for one, plan to make the most and have fun... Will I sail MSC again? Don't know yet.... 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Did they ask about alcohol being brought back to usa?

No questions at all about what I may or may not be bringing back. And, surprise to me, no confiscation when bringing on bottles purchased in port.