Swimming with Pigs Excursion

I am sailing on the Oasis next year and we will be going to Coco Cay.  One of the excursions that they are offering is swimming with pigs.  I was wondering if anyone has done this and what was your experience like?  Thanks for any feedback!

Just saw this on on our cruise planner. Prefer my pig in the Windjammer ... especially at $82 for the excursion!

BTW Paradise Island was first known as Pig Island because it was overrun with wild pigs ... think about that the next time you lay out all that cash to visit!

11 hours ago, kruzerci said:

Wonder how you handle the “close proximity to livestock” on the customs form when you return...

I would venture to say that swimming with them would count as "close proximity."

Seriously though, think of the pigs and what the possible conditions they might be living in are. Pigs can get sunburned and I doubt very much that they enjoy being forced to walk on hot sand and swim in salt water just to "swim with" tourists so that they can get a picture showing what they did in the Bahamas.

14 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I would venture to say that swimming with them would count as "close proximity."

Seriously though, think of the pigs and what the possible conditions they might be living in are. Pigs can get sunburned and I doubt very much that they enjoy being forced to walk on hot sand and swim in salt water just to "swim with" tourists so that they can get a picture showing what they did in the Bahamas.

I agree.  OP, please reconsider doing this excursion.  Bottom line, it's cruel.

Edited by time4u2go

10 hours ago, tinkertwo said:

Here's an article I recently read about the subject.  Some interesting thoughts.

https://themonstersamongus.com/2016/03/23/pigs-in-the-bahamas-exploited-for-tourists/

Not trying to change anyones mind but it is a eye opener.  Especially the part where they get aggressive and bit, that's not in any of the brochures.  

That article kind of misses the point.  The pigs on Pig Beach (Exuma) were NOT put there as a tourist trap.  Legend has it they were put there to raise.  So her complaint about the locals culling pigs here and there is kind of ridiculous.  That's what they were there for.  Sure, now it's become a bit too touristy, but it still serves it's purpose.  There is also a pig beach in Abaco that is anything but a tourist trap.

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

That article kind of misses the point.  The pigs on Pig Beach (Exuma) were NOT put there as a tourist trap.  Legend has it they were put there to raise.  So her complaint about the locals culling pigs here and there is kind of ridiculous.  That's what they were there for.  Sure, now it's become a bit too touristy, but it still serves it's purpose.  There is also a pig beach in Abaco that is anything but a tourist trap.

Exactly. It was the tour companies that found the pigs there, and started bringing tourists there. The newer excursions from the cruise lines are bringing tourists to island to swim with pigs the tour companies put there.

16 hours ago, kruzerci said:

Wonder how you handle the “close proximity to livestock” on the customs form when you return...

I can tell you from personal experience that answering "yes" to that question does not lend itself to a fun re-entry experience.  I assume most people just lie and say no.  I decided to be honest... 😑

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:27 AM, time4u2go said:

I agree.  OP, please reconsider doing this excursion.  Bottom line, it's cruel.

I was just curious about the experience, as it appears as an excursion for my next cruise....I think I will probably pass, but I may do the dolphin encounter!

5 minutes ago, SuiteLady said:

I was just curious about the experience, as it appears as an excursion for my next cruise....I think I will probably pass, but I may do the dolphin encounter!

You really think dolphin encounters are less cruel than pigs, who are mostly domesticated animals, that we eat?

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

You really think dolphin encounters are less cruel than pigs, who are mostly domesticated animals, that we eat?

It is sad to see how ignorant people are - as long as they think they can have a good time torturing an animal!

Most of the world has banned this cruelty but the Americas are the place to go if you want to hurt a dolphin! 😭👎🤮

I have previously voiced my opinion on these kinds of things and had some negative replies. Glad to see that the tide has turned in my favor this time. 

Pigs are not aquatic animals. They go into the water for the food that is offered.

They can swallow the sand-and die from it.

Dolphins do not deserve to be paraded around for human entertainment. Period.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, queenfrostine22 said:

Dolphins do not deserve to be paraded around for human entertainment. Period. 

Dolphins are tortured to death in these facilities over a time span of about 10 years - 90% of them die or have to be killed within that time frame!😭

In nature they live 40+ years!

It's both sad and comical to read how posts about how dolphins in controlled environments are "tortured".

That kind of general over-reaching statement is void of fact. The sad part is anyone who believes that undocumented nonsense, while comical that anyone really believes it.

Many dolphin controlled facilities treat their inhabitants far superior to "in the wild" circumstances. These mammals are fed better, receive ongoing medical care, and get regular exercise. Most of these facilities don't keep them for a lifetime, rather, only for a few years before releasing them and then acquiring "replacements.

As for the topic at hand...swimming with pigs is indeed a surprisingly popular excursion at Exuma. The last most people have reported...no cruise passenger was ever forced to participate.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

10 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Many dolphin controlled facilities treat their inhabitants far superior to "in the wild" circumstances. They also don't keep them for a lifetime, rather, only for a few years before releasing them and then acquiring "replacements. 

Yeah sure fine people on both sides! 🙄

Care to provide any proof of your #fakenews 🤮

Your arguments are so stupid anybody with a brain knows it is wrong.... 🙄

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

7 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It's both sad and comical to read how posts about how dolphins in controlled environments are "tortured".

That kind of general over-reaching statement is void of fact. The sad part is anyone who believes that undocumented nonsense, while comical that anyone really believes it.

Many dolphin controlled facilities treat their inhabitants far superior to "in the wild" circumstances. These mammals are fed better, receive ongoing medical care, and get regular exercise. Most of these facilities don't keep them for a lifetime, rather, only for a few years before releasing them and then acquiring "replacements.

As for the topic at hand...swimming with pigs is indeed a surprisingly popular excursion at Exuma. The last most people have reported...no cruise passenger was ever forced to participate.

I don’t think the OP is referring to the Exuma excursion, just a relatively new one where tour organizers brought pigs to an island for people to swim with.

3 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Yeah sure fine people on both sides! 🙄

Care to provide any proof of your #fakenews 🤮

Your arguments are so stupid anybody with a brain knows it is wrong.... 🙄

WOW - a vivid insult. What a surprise (yes...it happens anytime someone doesn't agree with a pineapple).

Anyone can easily spend 5 minutes online and get the information about the track record of many dolphin facilities. It's not rocket science nor fake news.

It would be far more interesting to see if there are any "facts" about tortured dolphins anywhere near the Bahamas. Feel free to share.

In the meantime...the pig swim is interesting...not our cup of tea...but some may enjoy the unique experience.