Stateroom walls/doors construction?

What was that?

Not having taken a river cruise before, I would like to know if the Viking longships' stateroom walls and doors will hold a magnet? I put some nice knobs on some very powerful round magnets and we have used them on HAL ocean cruises to hang things conveniently - daily schedule, etc. - and would like to do that on our Viking cruise next year. Does anyone have information on that? We will be on the Viking Lif.

We also bring our bag of Command Hooks.  Hmmm... I wonder if they make a Command Hook Magnet base?

It may depend on your ship.  I have read for Viking only the door ( maybe the bathroom door also ) will hold a magnet.  We are also taking 2 large non sticky suction hooks.  To me in the smaller cabins ( less then a veranda) it doesn’t appear to have enough storage especially for 2 weeks of stuff. Or maybe I just take too much...

It’s really not an issue. Only one or possibly two things happen on board every day in addition to the scheduled excursions, so it’s not difficult to keep track of what’s going on. Just don’t even think of a river cruise in terms of previous

experience of ocean cruises. 

I travel for cruises with these magnetic hooks - love them! We typically use for hanging things like our sun hats....

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A7FJS96/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I need to find out if Avalon Siem Reap has metal walls or not. For Avalon in Europe, I had a couple of suction hooks - we did a Christmas Market cruise and bought a small wreath made of greenery at our embarkation and hung it on the mirror (which was basically one wall of the cabin) and it made the cabin smell so good!!

Edited by Hoyaheel

kentchris: Thanks for raising my awareness of differences between ocean and river cruises. That will help me question any assumptions I may unconsciously be making.

Hoyaheel: My magnets are more of the "refrigerator magnet" type, for sticking up papers. But now that you mention it, I'll bet I could rig up some hooks in a similar way. I really prefer the magnets I used, Neodymium STRONG ones, which are not measurably affected by a coat of paint, or thick wallpaper. All I need to do is head down to Home Depot and find the appropriate hardware...

We like the heavier duty hooks because we can then use our braided clothesline as well (depending on construction, of course). I don't care about paperwork - I want more storage ;-) We've not had a problem using them in the 3 years we've had them....

FYI, our magnets are actually the same type as yours, but yours designed for 12kg, ours for 48 lbs, so..... ;-) I don't think we'd have a problem with wallpaper or paint either :-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

Hoyaheel - I received the hooks from Amazon today, and the magnets are not like mine - they are MUCH nicer. And right now I can't find my homebrew magnets (darn!). I will make a not of the suggestion to hang a wreath on one - fabulous idea! And  I now have Christmas present ideas for our traveling companions. Win, win, win!

Cheers!

Update: I should have known to look on the refrigerator for my other magnets 🙄

Edited by What was that?
  • Thanks 1

I really liked hanging the wreath on the mirrored wall with a suction hook - I love flowers in a cabin, and some ships have vases and it's the norm, but I do feel that adding "things" to flat surfaces adds work for the cabin stewards, which I try to avoid if possible. I was used to the concept because it's how I put up my Christmas wreath on the front door at home! And there were some stalls in the Nuremberg Christmas markets that had wreaths of various sizes - ours was about 10" I think? Not overwhelming!

• 3 weeks later...

If the op comes back...

We are just off Viking Skadi and stayed in an aquarium room.  There was very little storage for a 2 week trip IMO.  The outer wall was metal and we used 2 20# magnets to hang our pacsafe bags and hat on when not in use. The wall on the outside of the bathroom by the bed was also metal.  I used small magnetics here to hang  the daily and the river map we bought at the desk.

i had brought from the dollar store small foldable storage boxes that I used on the window ledge.  I used one for scarfs, one for the DHs electronic stuff, one for things like disposable rain coats, sunscreen, umbrella.  I used stronger ones that were about 11x5 that fit perfectly on the glass shelves in the bathroom where we kept toiletries. ( found on Amazon.)

The only way we could close the closet with 2 weeks of nicer clothes for evening on hangers was to push them sideways.  A wire hanger doesn’t fit completely, it’s that narrow! Our shelves were pretty loaded.  With only 3 drawers, ( 2 pretty small) the dresser under the TV got pretty cluttered.  Glassses, water bottles, ice container, quiet vox all take some room away.

We loved our trip.  However the tiny cabin with no storage (and no chairs to sit on) was a bit tough at times fro a tidy person who likes their space to be organized.  If we traveled lighter it would be better but we only checked one bag each so I didn’t feel for 2 weeks it was excessive.  With the heat wave we used every bit of summer clothing we brought.  

As as a side note I’ve ruled out Viking for a world cruise.  I’ve looked at their ocean cabins videos and they have about the same amount of storage it appears.  No way could I mange that.  Perhaps the Europeans travel lighter and factor this into their designs.  Our cruise line of choice of RCCL or Celebrity has a lot more storage in even their smallest cabins.  We’ve cruised 2 weeks before with them and never had storage issues. I realize river cabins are smaller but a woman designing them would have put an extra drawer under the vanity and an extra shelf in the closet so things could be better organized. Those 2 things IMO would have helped a lot.

We’d still go again but I will be looking next time at cabins more closely and comparing other lines to see if we can increase our comfort.

18 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

However the tiny cabin with no storage (and no chairs to sit on) was a bit tough at times fro a tidy person who likes their space to be organized.

Just goes to show how different our reactions can be to the same space. No matter what, river cabins are small. Smaller than what you find on ocean going ships in similar categories. But then again, the entire river experience is much different from the ocean-going experience. On a river ship, if you want more space, you have to book a bigger (more expensive) cabin.

Our cabin though not in aquarium class was very similar to yours in design )and without the window ledge for additional storage. Even with overcoats because it was March, we found that storage space was not an issue. There was plenty of drawer space for us. We had no trouble hanging everything we wanted to hang, which was his shirts and all of our pants (my tops were all knits and went into the drawers). I do agree, a place to sit would have been nice--but then again we didn't spend much time there anyhow.

Check out the 360° view: https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/content/360/start.html?secure=true&panoId=vtc_TIlJbKBCDduqupTSkGD1Hw

On 6/7/2019 at 8:01 PM, What was that? said:

I would like to know if the Viking longships' stateroom walls and doors will hold a magnet?

It's not something that's a need for me, but this question has been asked before on this board and a search of this forum might reveal a definitive answer.

There are different room types on the Viking Longship. If you are in a French Balcony or a Veranda room there are 4 walls.

The water facing one is floor to ceiling glass, with a sliding door. At the pillow end of the bed the lower half of the wall is covered with a padded bedhead.

The longest wall is at the foot of the bed, running from the door to the water edge windows. That is taken with a wardrobe - wood with sliding doors. The rest has the desk with storage space & fridge below. Above is divided between a TV screen and mirror.

The wall that separates the shower room from the bedroom has a picture but would be the best bet except that there's little space between the bed and wall (I don't know if it's magnetic)

The door is wood and mirror. There are two hooks on it we use to hang coats and hats.

The sliding door to the shower room is wood..

The video that @Peregrina651 has linked to shows what the French Balcony (& Veranda) rooms look like.

If you are on the lowest deck (rooms in the 100 range) then, as above except you have a high non-opening window and thus more wall, and a useful wide shelf, at the waterside.

If you are in a suite then you'll have more walls..

The Viking Daily lists all that will happen the next day on one side of paper. There's a tour in the morning and/or afternoon. Basically all one needs to know is what you've signed up for and if you still want to go on it, what time it departs. The Programme Director will give a 15 minute reminder over the PA.

We keep the Viking Daily on the desk.

I probably pack too much - I came back with unworn clothes last cruise - but seems to be enough storage space. Obe can ask for more hangers tho' I've not had to, and as worn clothes multiply, I transfer them to my case under the bed.

48 minutes ago, pontac said:

The video that @Peregrina651 has linked to shows what the French Balcony (& Veranda) rooms look like.

I linked to 360° views on the Viking website. There is a separate 360° available for each of the cabin categories.

51 minutes ago, pontac said:

and as worn clothes multiply, I transfer them to my case under the bed.

LOL, as worn clothes multiply, I send them to the laundry. 😉

BTW, I tried using the suction hooks on the wall but they aren't really smooth enough to create the needed suction. They worked on the glass door of the shower and we used them to hang our daily hand laundry for drying. I have found that this works much better than trying to use the saggy clothesline in the shower.

On 6/7/2019 at 7:01 PM, Hoyaheel said:

I travel for cruises with these magnetic hooks - love them! We typically use for hanging things like our sun hats....

@Hoyaheel  This is a fantastic idea!  Amazon shows 3 different size hooks.  Which size of hook did you purchase?

• Thanks 1