Hong Kong to Bangkok

Kentuckysharon

We are cruising from Hong Kong to Bangkok Jan 18 2020. Is it smooth sailing like Alaska and Croatia?  Or should I expect rougher waters?  Prone to motion sickness. Any advice from those that have traveled these waters would be appreciated. 

I have sailed this itinerary  quite a few times and don’t remember any particularly rough seas. Obviously sensitivity to sea conditions is variable. Silversea ships carry a very effective medicine which should be taken at the first sign of uneasiness. It doesn’t make you sleepy, which is a huge advantage. You just go to the Reception desk and ask..works like a charm. 

On 6/8/2019 at 7:39 PM, Kentuckysharon said:

We are cruising from Hong Kong to Bangkok Jan 18 2020. Is it smooth sailing like Alaska and Croatia?  Or should I expect rougher waters?  Prone to motion sickness. Any advice from those that have traveled these waters would be appreciated. 

Did look at the details as to your Hong Kong to Bangkok 2020 itinerary on the Silver Spirit.  Interesting as you will have much more potential sea-day "challenges" in going to Taiwan and then over to the Philippines.  That's a good bit of big, open seas than compared to if you were merely traveling down the Vietnam coast.  

While we have not sailed in these open seas, last year we did much for Hong Kong, Vietnam, Bangkok, etc.  See a full report below on my live/blog.  If it's of help, my strong suggestion is to consider carefully how much time you spend pre-cruise in amazing Hong Kong and the amount of time and options for post-cruise in Bangkok and other excursion options you consider.  So much to see, do and experience in both of these world-class cities.   It is nice that you have three days for Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).  Great and interesting city where we enjoyed three days there.  Many options to consider there!!  Where will you be docked and how far from Saigon?  

Not sure if Silversea will over an option for Siem Reap, Cambodia.  YES, Siem Reap and Angkor Wat are totally wonderful and not to be missed, if possible to do.  Have you already locked in your air travel and timing before and after the cruise?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 47,140 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Thank you so much for your post.  My husband is booking our flights as I’m writing this post. We have spent a week in Hong Kong so not going to spend a lot of time there. Bangkok I think we only have time for three days due to other commitments. 

A little nervous about the Open Seas -  but another poster said Silver Sea has a great non-drowsy med if needed. Need to check on how far we will be docked from Ho Chi Minh. 

Headed to your our blog now. Thanks. 

My husband and are also on this cruise and understand we are not docked in Ho Chi Minh city but a way outside.  Also my agent has been talking to Silversea about a mid cruise excursion to Angor Wat but they are not planning to offer this at the moment, hopefully they may change their minds  

14 minutes ago, Kentuckysharon said:

Thank you so much for your post.  My husband is booking our flights as I’m writing this post. We have spent a week in Hong Kong so not going to spend a lot of time there. Bangkok I think we only have time for three days due to other commitments. 

Headed to your our blog now. Thanks. 

Glad to hear that our Kentucky neighbor has had the experience and time in Hong Kong.  If you can do three days in Bangkok, that would be perfect and would allow lots of flexibility to see what is of interest to you there.  Let us know any added questions, ideas, info needs, etc.

For seaquay, if your ship is not docked near to Ho Chi Minh City, that does waste some time for your logistics.  Saigon is an amazing city, especially in the evenings.  Hopefully you can work out doing something for Siem Reap/Angkor Wat.  That is a location offering such wonderful sights and sites.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 221,035 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

42 minutes ago, seaquay said:

My husband and are also on this cruise and understand we are not docked in Ho Chi Minh city but a way outside.  Also my agent has been talking to Silversea about a mid cruise excursion to Angor Wat but they are not planning to offer this at the moment, hopefully they may change their minds  

Thanks for that info. We are traveling with another couple whose travel agent is handling our arrangements. We may need to set a time to meet for a drink when we get closer to the cruise.  

• 4 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 9:05 AM, seaquay said:

Hello Seaquay

I am having trouble finding our roll call on Silversea from Hong Kong to Bangkok. I am responding to you from an email I had saved.  Just wondering if you have all your excursions booked.  We booked a private tour for 6 in Manila, so have room for two more. 

thanks

Sorry for the delay in getting  back to you, do you have a cost for the Manila excursion and how long is it?

We are doing the Angkor Wat side trip so will be rejoining the boat in Sihanoukville so will not have time for excursions there.

Boy did we drop the ball  on Angor Wat. We had requested info from our travel rep and he didn’t get back with us. I think it’s too late to sign up but just curious as to how much it cost. Seems a shame to be that close and unable to visit. 

Our  trip that’s booked is full day for $499 so about $83 pp for full day tour which seems pretty reasonable. We have two days to cancel before we arrive in port. We could meet beforehand and decide what’s important to see or discuss on Cruise Critic. 

cheers

Think the cut off for Angor Wat was 90 days but may be worth contacting SS direct to see if it is still available.  We paid in sterling, will see if I can find out the cost as paid this as same time as another cruise so bit confusing as all in one transaction. 

Think drinks on  board to go though option for Manila is a good idea. 

8 hours ago, seaquay said:

Think the cut off for Angor Wat was 90 days but may be worth contacting SS direct to see if it is still available.  We paid in sterling, will see if I can find out the cost as paid this as same time as another cruise so bit confusing as all in one transaction. 

Think drinks on  board to go though option for Manila is a good idea. 

1 hour ago, Kentuckysharon said:

Thanks. Will check it out. 

Definitely plan a time for drinks when we arrive on the ship. 

I have been trying to find out exactly where we land in Ho Chi Minh. I understand there are several ports. The one farthest away Pho Mu is for the larger ships. Supposedly we are docking closer. But several calls to Silversea and i still dont have my answer. Anyone have any Info?

thanks

My husband and I are also booked on the Jan 18 cruise. We are super excited. Please let me know the details of your tours in Manila and Cambodia. We might want to join you. We have been to Angor Wat so are not going there this time. But if you haven’t been, it is a must see. 

A cardinal gal!  We are Wildcats - don’t hold that against us 😂. Your basketball coach,  Chris Mack, is a great guy.

We have someone interested in joining us in Manila - tour is only for 6. But we have room In Cambodia. We don’t have any firm plans and haven’t done a lot of research as of yet.   We could arrange to meet on the ship sometime and customize the tour.  Or could ask the guide to recommend. It doesn’t sound like Sihanoukville is the safest place but understand the govt is trying to work on that. 

Have you made plans in Ho Chi Minh yet?  I have heard the Cu Chi tunnels are a must.  And Mekong Delta. 

• Like 1

Yes Chris Mack is great!  Lucky to have him. 

This is our third trip to Saigon.  The Mekong Delta is very interesting. 

My hubby won’t do the CC tunnels because of claustrophobia so we have not done that. 

We did a food tour last time and it was fabulous. 

I am a shopper so I enjoy their big market. We are planning to go to their upscale shopping area. It is supposed to be a great place for designer goods. 

Looking forward to meeting you!