Evening Attire

SLH

I was on the Majesty for a 4 night last spring and was rather dismayed at how casual people were dressed in the evenings down to shorts and t-shirts. I've never cruised less than 7 nights before and this was my first cruise in over 10yrs. so I was wondering if this is more of the norm now or just because it was a short cruise? I'll be on LOS 2/18/06 and I like dressing up in the evenings.

Shorter cruises tend to be far less dressy. Add to that the fact that the industry does not enforce dress codes and people have become militant about their "right" to dress down and you will be less and less appropriate attire.

On the other hand, the longer the cruise, the more likely you are to see more formal wear, etc.

I was on the Majesty for a 4 night last spring and was rather dismayed at how casual people were dressed in the evenings down to shorts and t-shirts. I've never cruised less than 7 nights before and this was my first cruise in over 10yrs. so I was wondering if this is more of the norm now or just because it was a short cruise? I'll be on LOS 2/18/06 and I like dressing up in the evenings.

Oh no, here we go again. Are you saying that people were not dressed up in the evenings at all, or just those in the dining room were dressed too casually? Because outside of the dining room, I wouldn't expect to see everyone dressed up. On my cruises, I like to be casual in the evenings outside of the dining room. I am not going to be strolling the decks dressed in a suit, nor would I expect anyone else to. But as the above poster said, the shorter cruises tend to be a bit more casual.

Some were not dressed up at all but I'm not sure shorts and t-shirt in the evening anywhere on a ship is appropriate.

I would never go into the dining room under dressed at night and I always stay dressed in appropriate clothes all evening. But that is me.

But for anyone else to just run around the ship at night poolside, sports bar, etc. in shorts and a tee shirt is fine with me. To each his own.

JMO

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and the remainder are casual nights.

5 – night cruises include one formal and the remainder casual nights.

6 – night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder are casual nights .

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights are casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, and the remainder are casual nights.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights and the remainder are casual nights.

In the evenings, shorts and t-shirts are more than appropriate for certain activities. The pools and hot tubs are still open, so I am assuming the cruise line does not expect you to wear a dress and a shirt for swimming or playing pool deck or arcade games in. I would not wear shorts to the shows or bars, but I would not wear a suit either. I wear a suit to dinner on formal nights, and casual required for casual nights, but only in the dining room. Then its off to the pools or hot tubs or night clubs. I don't know anyone here in Los Angeles that would wear a suit to a club for dancing.

You have to remember, nowadays, a cruise ship is like a big, Vegas-style hotel, (unless you're on one of the "luxury liners") You can expect a wide range of fashion and behavior. Do what makes you comfortable. If you want to dress up: Go for it! (I like to, too!) Lot's of folks aren't into that, and so what? This is your vacation-- Make it your own!

If you haven't cruised in over 10 years before your Majesty cruise, welcome to a different world. As others have said, the short sailings may be more casual than 7 nights or longer but the overall atmosphere is much more casual than before. We were on Voyager last year, my first cruise in 12 years and I noticed many changes. Years ago you were expected to stay in your evening clothes for the night-the pools were closed anyway:D. Today, at least one pool and hot tub will be open at night and I, for one, won't wear a tux or suit in the pool, at least not knowingly:).

Personally, I like what cruising has become, lots of choices, absolutely unbelievable ships (size and activities) and a whole lot cheaper than years ago as well. You will "get over it" or just have to find an upscale line that adheres strictly to "suggested attire".

Archived