Complimentary Stateroom Upgrade--QM 2

lovetotraveltx

We are sailing Cunard for the first time this August. Transatlantic from NYC to SOU. When I booked, we signed up for a complimentary upgrade. It is at the ship's discretion and can be anywhere on the ship. Has anyone done this? If so, have you gotten an upgrade? Did you enjoy it? How much of an upgrade? Thank you!

Most often the "upgrade" is actually a discount to the cheaper rate for the cabin. (for instance you book a BV but pay the BZ rate for a sheltered balcony). Otherwise, if you get an actual upgrade, it's usually within the same general category, but for a slightly better position.

On an upcoming trip, Cunard "gave" me an unasked upgrade. (and I believe my booking had been coded for "do not upgrade") I had specifically selected one of the obstructed view cabins on Deck 8, with the small rescue craft outside, making it not-very-obstructed at all. Cunard moved me to a sheltered balcony cabin on 6, with the Kings Court buffet and promenade deck above. It was technically an upgrade, but in actuality a worse cabin. I complained and they changed be back to Deck 8, but a different, and fully-obstructed, cabin. Yeah, I'm not happy, but due to a complicated booking situation, I'm stuck. I'm still determined to enjoy our vacation on our favorite ship.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Our sons were once upgraded from the cheapest inside cabin to an obstructed balcony on deck 8. This was a post refit cruise. The ship was going back into  service 3 days earlier than originally expected and they were offered a 5 night cruise for the same price as they were paying for a 2 night cruise. Some people have all the luck!

We have received one complimentary upgrade on a November QM2 crossing from a "BU" midships sheltered balcony on deck 4 to a "BC" mid-aft glass-fronted balcony on deck 11. That was a nice upgrade to a glass fronted balcony, but truth-be-told, we didn't get much use out of that balcony on a crossing that time of year. We probably would have been better off in that regard if we had not received the upgrade to get more use out of a sheltered balcony.

I’ve sailed Cunard twice and been upgraded twice, from high balcony to PG. Obviously it wasn’t a reward for loyalty so I’ve put it down to me being a single guy of a certain age who might be a suitable dining partner for a similarly aged single woman passenger. Very pleasant company in each case - I hope my assigned partners thought the same of me.

We have been very lucky with upgrades. We have probably had a dozen or more out of the 25 trips. One from a BC grade as was, to AA BRitannia Club, one from cheapest inside to Sheltered Balcony, several from PG to QG. All have been better. 

These days though, we very carefully look at what an upgrade would be before ticking the upgrade box.

Our future bookings all are marked to accept an upgrade because any upgrade would be amazing. 

I think I am at some where like 50% on upgrades. I have been upgraded from a Q5 to a Q4  twice, to a Q3 once (no balcony so I didn't like that), a Q 2 three times including one back to back T/A on Queen Mary. On QV twice from a Q4 to the Mauritania suite on a Hawaii round trip and on a trip from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale. 

When the upgrades seem to dry up, I started to book Q4 guarantee on Queen Mary. My next two cruises from Southampton to Hamburg in Sept and from Hamburg to NYC are booked in a Q4 but so far, no assignment so maybe an upgrade. The inability to get an assignment  caused me to book my July 22, 2020 westbound T/A in a confirmed Q4 so I doubt any upgrade there. 

Since I am now traveling solo, I have reduced my yearly crossings to once per year, and as long as I can keep traveling (I am 75 now) I will enjoy QM2

Edited by Bigmike911

One possible way to get an upgrade may be to watch the pricing, and then propose to re-book the same cabin at the new reduced rate if the price goes down significantly.  We did this, and were offered an upgrade from PG to QG at the superseded PG rate.  (We accepted, and it was wonderful.)

Hi,

I have received several upgrades from Cunard. In 2012, I was upgraded from an inside stateroom to an obstructed view outside stateroom for a 10-day Mediterranean cruise on the Queen Elizabeth. In 2016, I was upgraded from an inside stateroom to one of the new outside single staterooms on Deck 2 for a seven-day Canada / New England cruise on the QM2. In 2017, I was upgraded from an inside stateroom to one of the new outside single staterooms on Deck 3L for a seven-day World Cruise segment on the QM2. Earlier this year, I was upgraded from an obstructed view balcony on Deck 8 to a sheltered balcony on Deck 5 on a transatlantic crossing on the QM2.

Chuck

Twice, we got upgrades to Queens Grill on the QE2, and I got an upgrade from Deck 5 sheltered to a Deck 11 glass balcony on the QM2 a few years ago. (Hint, hint Cunard - I'm due! 😉 )

However, if it's a promotion of "complimentary upgrade," it's usually a discount. (charging the brochure rate for 2 grades beneath the cabin's nominal grade, for instance). Which is different than an unexpected upgrade to a better cabin or when booking a "guarantee" of a lower grade.

Of course, one can still get a surprise upgrade to a higher category in addition to the "complimentary upgrade" you get when booking.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by MarkBearSF

I like QM2's sheltered balconies for crossings, and I have my reservation marked "do not upgrade" because the sheltered cabin is usable on a crossing. Plus, I make sure I'm booked on the sunny side of the ship, and don't want an upgrade to put me on the other side. I also do NOT want an obstructed balcony, so if those are a "better" grade than a sheltered balcony that's another reason I ask for "do not upgrade." 

I did manage to get an upgrade on a Christmas cruise where we had booked Britannia Club. I checked prices after final payment and noticed that PG was the same price I'd paid for BC. So I called my TA, and she got us into PG. 

Haven't had a "surprise" upgrade since my days on QE2.

We've booked "upgraded" (i.e., discounted) fares several times but we've never received an upgrade from the originally-selected stateroom. We'll be Diamond level after the end of the year (14 voyages/153 nights) so don't necessarily expect an upgrade.

We have been Diamond members for years and have never had an upgrade! Some of these voyages have been for significant events.

The motto is “book a room you are happy with”.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 12:07 PM, MarkBearSF said:

On an upcoming trip, Cunard "gave" me an unasked upgrade. (and I believe my booking had been coded for "do not upgrade") I had specifically selected one of the obstructed view cabins on Deck 8, with the small rescue craft outside, making it not-very-obstructed at all. Cunard moved me to a sheltered balcony cabin on 6, with the Kings Court buffet and promenade deck above. It was technically an upgrade, but in actuality a worse cabin. I complained and they changed be back to Deck 8, but a different, and fully-obstructed, cabin. Yeah, I'm not happy, but due to a complicated booking situation, I'm stuck. I'm still determined to enjoy our vacation on our favorite ship.

This is good to know.   We have booked a DC obstructed cabin for our next crossing.   For crossings, we prefer the Deck 8 mid-ship obstructed rather than sheltered and would not want to be "upgraded".   I guess I had better talk with our TA and make absolutely sure that our booking says "do not upgrade" and hope we have better luck than you did.  

I have been upgraded twice on QM2.Never on Queen Vic. Once from Deck 8 obstructed to Deck 11 nice view felt very honoured to be upgraded. The second time is to happen shortly.. I booked a Brittania Club cabin on board Queen Victoria last year for this years QM2 Super transatlantic via Iceland Got $450 on board credit each. The very nice Christopher Foy sales and Loyalty manager asked me if I had a significant event coming up which I had as this is my 60th year.Then went into see the travel agent back home who I transferred the booking to on board, she said the promotion meant I could switch the booking to Princess Grill at no cost which I did and we saw an increase to $600 each in on board credit. Then I got a nice email about 6 weeks ago from Cunard informing me that my wife and I have been given a complimentary QG5 upgrade. So my advise would be book in advance on board and get the extra on board credit and be very nice to the sales and loyalty manager! or it might just be a random fairy upgrade thing?

• Like 2

On 6/17/2019 at 6:33 AM, LadyL1 said:

We have been Diamond members for years and have never had an upgrade! Some of these voyages have been for significant events.

The motto is “book a room you are happy with”.

You are absolutely correct with your motto. You will never be disappointed if you get what you book and might be happy if your get an upgrade (except the dreaded Q3, of course).

Sometimes you can find your own "upgrade" after final payment date if the ship is not sold out. On the website select your sailing and do a mock booking to see the current prices and what is available. Many times the prices drop after the final payment date.  If you find a cabin you like better that is available at a cost the same as or lower than what you have paid, call your TA or Personal Cruise Consultant and request a cabin change. For our August sailing we have moved from an inside to a deck 5 midship sheltered balcony on QM2. The current price for the balcony was actually less than what we had paid for the inside, but unfortunately no refund of the difference. We were just happy to get the upgraded cabin at no additional cost. This doesn't always work and not everyone is willing to do the research themselves to find price drops, but if you try you can sometimes find a great deal. 

On 6/9/2019 at 6:07 PM, MarkBearSF said:

Most often the "upgrade" is actually a discount to the cheaper rate for the cabin. (for instance you book a BV but pay the BZ rate for a sheltered balcony). Otherwise, if you get an actual upgrade, it's usually within the same general category, but for a slightly better position.

Can I ask what the issue was with deck 6? We are booked on there for November 2020. Had a deck 5 sheltered balcony last week and that was fine. If there are noise issues from above on deck 6 I might see if we can move.

1 hour ago, siforest65 said:

Can I ask what the issue was with deck 6? We are booked on there for November 2020. Had a deck 5 sheltered balcony last week and that was fine. If there are noise issues from above on deck 6 I might see if we can move.

It depends where you are on deck 6. Look at the deck plan to see what is above your cabin. If it is just the promenade deck you will be fine in November. I believe you will be charged an admin fee if you request a move to a different grade of cabin.

We have once had a deck 6 midships balcony with no problem at all on a TA.

Edited by LadyL1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

It depends where you are on deck 6. Look at the deck plan to see what is above your cabin. If it is just the promenade deck you will be fine in November. I believe you will be charged an admin fee if you request a move to a different grade of cabin.

We have once had a deck 6 midships balcony with no problem at all on a TA.

We we are in 6166. Tbh it’s a cheeky 3 nighter to Bruges so not overly worried.

Will check later and may see about changing.

6 hours ago, siforest65 said:

We we are in 6166. Tbh it’s a cheeky 3 nighter to Bruges so not overly worried.

Will check later and may see about changing.

Just phoned up and and changed to midships deck 5. No charge as within the same cabin class.