Marella Discovery 2 - Advice for solo passenger with mobility problems

I am having to travel alone on the following trips - Mediterranean Gems and Greek Getaway (back to back)

I would be grateful for the following advice from the many wise cruisers that appear on this forum.

1. Do Tui provide a shuttle from Naples, Olbia, Liverno, Toulon, Chania, Mykonos, Zakynthos, Catania? If not is it easy to get to the town? Tips about ant of these areas? I am especially interested in hearing about Naples as I will be there twice as its the port for embarkation and changeover.

2. I can get around on the flat but find steps and hills a challenge. I will be on my own and enjoy shopping and sunbathing. Where can I go and where should I avoid? 

3. Is the WiFi signal on board any good?

Thank you so much for your much needed advice

In Toulon the ship docks just 5  minutes walk from the market area.  A trolley train goes right from the cruise terminal and gives an interesting tour of the city.

At Livorno the port runs a (payable) regular shuttle to the centre of town (stops by the tourist information centre).

WiFi isn't cheap on board and we find it can be very intermittent reception.  Much easier to use the hot spots available at all ports - just follow the crew getting off the ship as they always make straight for the hot spots.

Also don't forget that with wifi, in your ports of call you could use your mobile phones data (upto 15gb per month) for no charge and calls/texts as you do at home. Check with your supplier on what countries are available on your tariff. Ring 150 from your mobile to get to your supplier for a free call.

There is shuttle bus into Chania which I think was payable. Don't be put off by the area where it drops you off which is a busy working city centre.  Cross over to the indoor market, go all the way through it then follow the little lanes, full of more market stalls, down to the harbour area which is beautiful. I seem to remember it was fairly flat or maybe a slight incline.

Edited by Sheila49

Thank you so much everyone. I gave the wrong information about my ship which is the Marella Explorer 2 not the Discovery 2. Does anyone know about Sorrento? There is a trip I am thinking of going on called 'Sorrento on your own' Its 7.5 hours long and I know the town is fairly flat but its a long time so would want to go on the beach as well. How would be the easiest way to do this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tino48, we are going the same cruise but late September.  You will find lots of useful information if you Google What's In Port. Olbia has a shuttle bus that takes you to the town, from there it us easy to wander round the shops and cafes.

On 6/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, Sheila49 said:

There is shuttle bus into Chania which I think was payable. Don't be put off by the area where it drops you off which is a busy working city centre.  Cross over to the indoor market, go all the way through it then follow the little lanes, full of more market stalls, down to the harbour area which is beautiful. I seem to remember it was fairly flat or maybe a slight incline.

Many thanks Sheila for your helpful response

On 6/12/2019 at 6:02 AM, campolady said:

In Toulon the ship docks just 5  minutes walk from the market area.  A trolley train goes right from the cruise terminal and gives an interesting tour of the city.

At Livorno the port runs a (payable) regular shuttle to the centre of town (stops by the tourist information centre).

WiFi isn't cheap on board and we find it can be very intermittent reception.  Much easier to use the hot spots available at all ports - just follow the crew getting off the ship as they always make straight for the hot spots.

I need to keep in touch with my business. Does WiWi work on ship when it is docked?

18 minutes ago, Tino48 said:

Do you know if the shops and market are open on a Sunday, unfortunately the day we are in port?

Which port are you in on the Sunday?  The market at Toulon is definitely open that day as we have docked there several times on a Sunday.

34 minutes ago, Tino48 said:

Silly me. It is Toulon. I love markets so am thrilled that will be open. And the shops?

Quite a few shops will be open.  Can recommend the trolley train that runs from right outside the cruise terminal building and gives a good tour of the town. 

1 hour ago, campolady said:

Quite a few shops will be open.  Can recommend the trolley train that runs from right outside the cruise terminal building and gives a good tour of the town. 

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. Warmest wishes for your next holiday!