Getting off boat in Dominican?

MeredithNC

I have been to 3 DR ports (Romana, Samana, Amber Cove, and I have been underwhelmed by all three and have also had unpleasant experiences in Samana and Amber Cover.  I will be in Amber Cove again in December and plan on staying on the ship.  I will not be booking any more cruises that have stops in DR just as I don't book any that stop in Jamaica.  What bothers me the most about the deaths and illnesses of tourists is the fact that the DR government and the hotel industry tried to sweep it under the rug until the American media got a hold of the story and cancellations started coming in.  It makes me wonder if there had been similar incidents involving non-American tourists like those from Europe and South America that were not publicized in the media in Canada and the States.

• Like 2

I heard same news coverage another poster mentioned, although I think it's flights to Punta Cana that are down 74%, not tourism in general.  Hopefully the DR will figure out what, if anything, is going on, or they'll be losing a LOT of money, just like Cuba for other reasons.  My travel world is shrinking - can't go to Cuba, don't want to go back to the DR, too hot to go many places in U.S., beaches on East Coast are overcrowded, etc.  Kudos to Delta and the other carrier that's allowing changes.  I haven't read of too many port changes, though, although there was a recent thread mentioning a change to Samana, DR, which is in a bit different area than Punta Cana.  (And I agree that Samana is nothing fabulous - but I haven't heard of deaths there, so I guess that's a safer choice for cruise lines right now.)

Edited by roothy123

19 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I heard same news coverage another poster mentioned, although I think it's flights to Punta Cana that are down 74%, not tourism in general.  Hopefully the DR will figure out what, if anything, is going on, or they'll be losing a LOT of money, just like Cuba for other reasons.  My travel world is shrinking - can't go to Cuba, don't want to go back to the DR, too hot to go many places in U.S., beaches on East Coast are overcrowded, etc.  Kudos to Delta and the other carrier that's allowing changes.  I haven't read of too many port changes, though, although there was a recent thread mentioning a change to Samana, DR, which is in a bit different area than Punta Cana.  (And I agree that Samana is nothing fabulous - but I haven't heard of deaths there, so I guess that's a safer choice for cruise lines right now.)

It was the NY Post that posted this, who knows how accurate it is:  

Trips booked to the island dropped by 74.3% for the months of July and August compared to the same period last year, according to a study from ForwardKeys, which analyzes more than 17 million daily bookings.

The number of trips canceled to the country also increased by 51.2% between June 1 and June 19.

Our port is La Ramona.  We haven't cancelled our tour, but I am concerned.  Lunch is included in the tour.

3 hours ago, 3redheads said:

It was the NY Post that posted this, who knows how accurate it is:  

Trips booked to the island dropped by 74.3% for the months of July and August compared to the same period last year, according to a study from ForwardKeys, which analyzes more than 17 million daily bookings.

The number of trips canceled to the country also increased by 51.2% between June 1 and June 19.

Our port is La Ramona.  We haven't cancelled our tour, but I am concerned.  Lunch is included in the tour.

Not a chance that I would get off the ship and eat anywhere on that island.  Why possibly put yourself in danger?  Not worth it.  

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Not a chance that I would get off the ship and eat anywhere on that island.  Why possibly put yourself in danger?  Not worth it.  

We will not eat or drink their items.  Not even sure if we will still go.

Maybe you are on the same tour as we are. I also have concerns. But since our cruise is not till November, I'm going to continue to keep an eye on the news. Hopefully by then they will figure out what is going on and resolve this problem.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:00 PM, pambam said:

Cruising with my family of eight in November and stopping in La Romana where we've booked a tour.

I think the Dominican Republic should be removed from all itenerary for all cruise ships not only for the safety of passengers, but to send a message to authorities of the DR that hiding toxicology reports, lying, and making excuses for the numerous deaths and illnesses is unacceptable and inappropriate. We are talking about human lives and the DR should be showing concern, care, and a sense of urgency to get to the bottom of this, NOT covering it up. I feel that all Cruise lines should display concern for their passengers by pulling out of going to this Port for the care and safety of their passengers as well as to send a message to the DR that excuses and lies and covering up toxicology reports won't be tolerated. 

I am aware that the Cruise Lines have investments on the island, but regard for passenger safety should be first and foremost.Things may be handled more quickly and efficiently on the island if tourism was cut off. The excuses need to stop from the islands authorities and it would be nice to see some remorse for those whom have died and become deathly ill. This could have been our Mothers, Brothers, Sisters, or Children. 

Well said and I agree with you- I was planning on an NCL cruise that stopped in DR at Puerto Plata and even though there haven't been as many problems there I doubt I am going. 

• 2 weeks later...

got back from our cruise - the stop in the Dominican was great.  Just stayed at the pool area at the port.  didn't eat or drink but saw others doing it and did not hear of any problems.  Like this port much better than Margaritaville.  Pool was great!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 9:55 PM, kendon said:

The Carnival built port area is very safe.  Not many shopping options, but a very nice pool and good restaurant.  I've been many times on Princess and Fathom ships.  It's fine.  Get off the ship and enjoy the pool for several hours.

So does that mean that there's a private Carnival beach area when you get off the ship? Do you need to pay for access to it if you're a passenger?

• 2 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 2:29 PM, gatorgurl said:

So does that mean that there's a private Carnival beach area when you get off the ship? Do you need to pay for access to it if you're a passenger?

The pool is free. You pay if you want to rent a cabana, you pay for food and drinks and I think ziplining. It's very nice

So the FBI confirmed that all of the deaths are from natural causes. I'm happy because we're stopping in La Romana on the 31st of December and are really looking forward to our excursion. Has anyone here done the Saona tour with Seavis?

On 10/29/2019 at 8:17 AM, theharts said:

So the FBI confirmed that all of the deaths are from natural causes. I'm happy because we're stopping in La Romana on the 31st of December and are really looking forward to our excursion. Has anyone here done the Saona tour with Seavis?

That many deaths from natural causes at their younger  ages?   I worry about that.  Sounds a little fishy.  

• Like 1