"free unlimited open bar"

rln44

We are thinking about reserving a suite on a 15 day cruise on the Star.  One of the perks included is "free unlimited open bar."  After reading several comments about this perk I am still some what confused about what it includes.  Our primary alcohol consumption aboard is wine with dinner.  Is this included in this perk?  Will we be required to upgrade to have quality wines with dinner?  And what would be the cost of such an upgrade?

The perk that is included as part of the Free At Sea promo includes all alcohol under $15. So any wine that is less than $15 per glass would be covered. If you order a glass that costs more than $15, you pay the difference, plus a 20% gratuity on the difference. So a $16 glass of wine would cost you $1.20. If you have very expensive tastes in wine, you might find it worthwhile to upgrade to the Premium Plus Package. Search for recent drink menus to get a sense of what is under and over $15.

The perk isn’t really free.  There is a daily service charge that you pay in advance with the cruise fare.  And both in the room must pay the fee.  For a 15 day cruise, that is close to $600.  

If you each only have one glass of wine with dinner, it may make more sense to buy the wine by the glass on board or bring the wine you wish to drink with you and pay the $15 per bottle fee.

for someone who only drinks a glass of two of wine a day the perk may not be your best choice,but if you are more inclined to have 4 drinks a day, regardless as to whether it is wine or cocktails it is a good deal, but it is nice to know that part of your cruise is paid for prior to sailing. Of course this is not what you asked. You asked about wine: the selection is pretty limited but we have always found what we like, maybe not the exact brand but certainly it is drinkable 

As mentioned above, choosing the drink package as a perk requires you to still pay a 20% service charge. This comes out to about $20 per person per day. If you think you will consume less than $20 worth of wine/alcohol per person per day, you may be better off skipping the perk and just paying per glass.

18 minutes ago, Ronin23 said:

The OP is looking to book a suite, which would include all perks anyway. So debating wether or not to choose the drink package is a moot point.

You aren't REQUIRED to take the drink package when booking a suite. You can still turn it down so you don't have to pay the service charge if you don't drink or don't drink enough to justify it.

The problem is, if you're pretty much planning to drink at all on the ship, you're better off getting the plan due to how ridiculously overpriced the drinks are.  Outside of the cheapest of beers, getting two drinks per day would put pretty much anyone over the limit to make it worth it.

24 minutes ago, Beardface said:

The problem is, if you're pretty much planning to drink at all on the ship, you're better off getting the plan due to how ridiculously overpriced the drinks are.  Outside of the cheapest of beers, getting two drinks per day would put pretty much anyone over the limit to make it worth it.

That was my point exactly, I can't imagine paying for drinks as I go on NCL...they are HIGH priced for sure on individual drinks.

Case in point, I sailed MSC this April, Makers Mark was $8...I think it is $18 on NCL...an uncharge of $3.60 even with the drink package.   

Edited by PTC DAWG

48 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

You aren't REQUIRED to take the drink package when booking a suite. You can still turn it down so you don't have to pay the service charge if you don't drink or don't drink enough to justify it.

thanks for adding that and remember to all: even if you decide on not taking the UDP it is customary to tip when ordering a drink anyway. Maybe not 20% but something.  

46 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

thanks for adding that and remember to all: even if you decide on not taking the UDP it is customary to tip when ordering a drink anyway. Maybe not 20% but something.  

actually, if you order a drink ala carte, it will have the 20% automatically added, if I am not mistaken.