O-Ship PH "Breakfast Table" Good or Bad?

1985rz1

We've sailed several times in PH staterooms on O-Ships and find the chairs at the "Breakfast Table" at the foot of the bed uncomfortable for breakfast and not really suitable for "in-room dining: " too low, even for us short people and awkward to use.  Maybe it's just us, but we'd rather have a real table and normal chairs.  I think the coffee table can be converted to a normal height table, but the chair situation is not ideal for us.   What are other opinions about the current table/chair configuration?

I don't know what you mean by a breakfast table at the end of the bed.  There is a round table and two chairs, that are very comfortable, in between the vanity and sliding door. I would call them a real table and normal chairs.   The coffee table would be too low to eat off of, unless you sat on the floor.  I don't think that can be converted into a higher table.  Plus, there isn't enough room for breakfast for two on that table.

IMO--We order breakfast room service on every port day, and are very comfortable eating our meal on the round table. Look at the layout of the PH's on website, that might give you an idea of the configuration.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, katz said:

I don't know what you mean by a breakfast table at the end of the bed.  There is a round table and two chairs, that are very comfortable, in between the vanity and sliding door. I would call them a real table and normal chairs.   The coffee table would be too low to eat off of, unless you sat on the floor.  I don't think that can be converted into a higher table.  Plus, there isn't enough room for breakfast for two on that table.

IMO--We order breakfast room service on every port day, and are very comfortable eating our meal on the round table. Look at the layout of the PH's on website, that might give you an idea of the configuration.

This is the table I'm referring to:

The Penthouse Suite on Marina Cruise Ship - Cruise Critic.pdf

Edited by 1985rz1

32 minutes ago, katz said:

This is the coffee table I refer to (also too low and not comfortable for us):

The Penthouse Suite on Marina Cruise Ship 2 - Cruise Critic.pdf

Edited by 1985rz1

37 minutes ago, katz said:

It sound like you're describing a PH on an R- Ship.  Here's the room layout for an R-ship

r-staterooms-3d-penthouse-sm.jpg

41 minutes ago, katz said:

And here's the layout for an O-ship (except we've never had 2 chairs for the coffee table):

Penthouse Suite on Oceania Cruises

Edited by 1985rz1

O class ships, Riviera and Marina, PH suites have  a unique set of table and two chairs that fit at the bottom of the bed.  We found this novel  arrangement  quite comfortable and acceptable for breakfast and evening dining although the desk has to be utilised for some dishes.    However I have read many "complaints" on CC about this table and seating being uncomfortable so you are not alone 1985rzl.     I can't remember if there were two coffee table chairs or one!

We will be in a PH suite on Nautica, an R class ship, which has a conventional round table and two chairs for dining.  This will be our first time in an R class PH suite but we checked it out when we were on Nautica last year in a veranda suite which we found a little bijou for us.  We found that in- suite dining was pretty nigh impossible. 

😃  J   

• Thanks 1

We much preferred the PH dining table setup on the "R" ships.  While we used the table several times for breakfast and dinner on Marina, it was only tolerable.  Not really comfortable.  Strange since the PH room on the "O" ships is larger than on the "R" ships and yet that was their solution.  I wonder if the "upgrading" will deal with this issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mura said:

We much preferred the PH dining table setup on the "R" ships.  While we used the table several times for breakfast and dinner on Marina, it was only tolerable.  Not really comfortable.  Strange since the PH room on the "O" ships is larger than on the "R" ships and yet that was their solution.  I wonder if the "upgrading" will deal with this issue.

Mura...I actually started this thread to see if there was general dissatisfaction with the O ship arrangement and if there was hoping the folks at O would take notice and change it during any "upgrade." We'll see.  Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

We share the mild criticism. For me, it is more about placement than about comfort.  I much prefer sitting at a table in front of the window, which is what we have had on the R ships, than at the foot of an unmade bed (or quickly made bed by me) at 7:00 in the morning. Only a few feet difference, I know, but the ambiance feels different.

Having said that, SO grateful to be able to have a beautiful breakfast served to us as we lounge in our bathrobes, wherever the table is.

Catherine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, clcmdse said:

Having said that, SO grateful to be able to have a beautiful breakfast served to us as we lounge in our bathrobes, wherever the table is.

Catherine

Couldn't agree more 🍽️ 🍽

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jay23 said:

O class ships, Riviera and Marina, PH suites have  a unique set of table and two chairs that fit at the bottom of the bed.  We found this novel  arrangement  quite comfortable and acceptable for breakfast and evening dining although the desk has to be utilised for some dishes.    However I have read many "complaints" on CC about this table and seating being uncomfortable so you are not alone 1985rzl.     I can't remember if there were two coffee table chairs or one!

We will be in a PH suite on Nautica, an R class ship, which has a conventional round table and two chairs for dining.  This will be our first time in an R class PH suite but we checked it out when we were on Nautica last year in a veranda suite which we found a little bijou for us.  We found that in- suite dining was pretty nigh impossible. 

😃  J   

Thanks for your input. We don't do in-room dining much, except for breakfast, but when we do we tend to want more space than the O ship PH offers. But even for breakfast, we like to spread out a bit so I don't trip over my bathroom robe 😁😁😁.  We have 2 R ship cruises coming up in PHs, so we'll have a chance to see if our memories of our previous R ship in-room dining are real or fabricated 🤔🤔🤔.

Sorry 1895. My bad.  I haven't been on an O ship in seven years.  I missed that part of the discussion.  The layout you sent looks so crowded, and I see what you mean about the breakfast table and chairs.  

13 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

We've sailed several times in PH staterooms on O-Ships and find the chairs at the "Breakfast Table" at the foot of the bed uncomfortable for breakfast and not really suitable for "in-room dining: " too low, even for us short people and awkward to use.  Maybe it's just us, but we'd rather have a real table and normal chairs.  I think the coffee table can be converted to a normal height table, but the chair situation is not ideal for us.   What are other opinions about the current table/chair configuration?

I totally agree...it is a rather silly  arrangement eating at the foot of the bed.    To tell you the truth  only cabin I found at PH and below  to be comfortable for in room dining was the R class ships.    I cant fathom eating in any other cabin enjoyably PH and below .    

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, katz said:

Sorry 1895. My bad.  I haven't been on an O ship in seven years.  I missed that part of the discussion.  The layout you sent looks so crowded, and I see what you mean about the breakfast table and chairs.  

No bad, katz.  It made me do my homework and the pictures/layouts are a better way to descibe the arrangement than my babbling. Thanks.

And, oh yeah, I do agree with you that the R ship arrangement works well...at least for us.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Mura...I actually started this thread to see if there was general dissatisfaction with the O ship arrangement and if there was hoping the folks at O would take notice and change it during any "upgrade." We'll see.  Thanks for your input.

Hi Mura, 1985rz1, and Dan..... (along with others who have experienced the O PH's) - We'll be doing our first Riviera PH next year on a TA; actually, it will be our first Oceania cruise ever.  Assuming that Oceania's Managment/Designers are reading this, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to how, practically & specifically, Oceania could take the existing 420 sq ft (in a Riviera PH), along with the existing furniture, and simply rearrange the layout differently, so as to create more in-suite eating area without "screwing up something else" in the process?

Just a brief comparison between the two PH floor plans  ("R" ship vs the "O"), it looks like the designers used the extra square footage (in the newer O ships) and devoted it to a "new" walk-in closet and a larger bathroom (with separate tub and shower).  Because of those changes, it looks like their options (for change) are now very limited/non-existent.  Sometimes, bigger isn't always better! Even tho the "R" PH is smaller than the "O's", it actually looks like the available space (and resulting "livability" and "moving around") in the R PH's  is actually better than in the "O's".  Is that the general consensus here?  Regards.

39 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Hi Mura, 1985rz1, and Dan..... (along with others who have experienced the O PH's) - We'll be doing our first Riviera PH next year on a TA; actually, it will be our first Oceania cruise ever.  Assuming that Oceania's Managment/Designers are reading this, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to how, practically & specifically, Oceania could take the existing 420 sq ft (in a Riviera PH), along with the existing furniture, and simply rearrange the layout differently, so as to create more in-suite eating area without "screwing up something else" in the process?

Just a brief comparison between the two PH floor plans  ("R" ship vs the "O"), it looks like the designers used the extra square footage (in the newer O ships) and devoted it to a "new" walk-in closet and a larger bathroom (with separate tub and shower).  Because of those changes, it looks like their options (for change) are now very limited/non-existent.  Sometimes, bigger isn't always better! Even tho the "R" PH is smaller than the "O's", it actually looks like the available space (and resulting "livability" and "moving around") in the R PH's  is actually better than in the "O's".  Is that the general consensus here?  Regards.

I think you analyzed the core issue.  The large bathroom and walk-in closet eat up a lot of the floor space.  The bathroom has both a free standing shower and a full bathtub which is responsible for the overall large size of the bathroom, but actually the interior floor space is still small because of the two.  Personally I would chose only a shower, but there are others who really want a tub.  So it's a hard choice for O.

The only logical space for a table would be in the nook where the desk is, but that would require combining the desk and vanity in some way that can utilize some the floor space between the bed and the vanity.  I don't know if that is practical.  And I think folks would like to keep the desk.  Just putting a table between the desk and the sofa area would be crowded and would block the veranda door.

I don't see any good solutions unless an upgrade is more than just the soft goods...a whole redesign of the stateroom. But I'm not an architect so I really don't what  is possible in a hard upgrade.

I'm wondering if anyone had asked the butler to replace the current arrangement with concierge cabin style chairs and table as an experiment.  That's a lot to ask, and you might be laughed out of the room.

Anyone have suggestions on how it could be redesigned?

Edited by 1985rz1

I'm no interior designer so no suggestions ... BUT while I do like the larger bathroom I could do without the expanded walk-in closet.  It's not that I don't like the closet:  I do.  But OTOH we always had plenty of storage room on the "R" ships -- even in the standard veranda cabins.  So I could do without the walk-in closet if it gave better options for where to put a real dining table.

As to tubs, it seems that O has been busily removing them ... I don't like THAT idea, but then again I'm one who doesn't mind a combination tub/shower.  I know many disagree with me on that score.

Mura

Mura/RZ - I've pretty much come to the same conclusion.  I don't think Oceania has very many options/alternatives for redesigning or "opening up" the O-class PH's, as long as the walk-in closet and the bathroom/s remain the way they are.  They're really not getting much "bang" for that extra square footage.  DW just walked by and suggested (jokingly, of course), "How about taking out the big bed and putting in bunk beds, instead"? 😊

2 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

For some of us bigger is better.  We love the bigger bathroom and the walk in closet in the O PH.  Try not to sail on the R ships as we think the PH is too small.  As to the table at the foot of the bed it is great for us at breakfast.  Can eat and watch TV at the same time.  In room dining is not for us so can not comment on that.   Good for happy hour as we also can watch TV while we sit there.  I guess everyone has an opinion so this is ours.  Happy sailing.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Even tho the "R" PH is smaller than the "O's", it actually looks like the available space (and resulting "livability" and "moving around") in the R PH's  is actually better than in the "O's".  Is that the general consensus here?  Regards.

I'm not sure about a consensus, 🤔 , but that's my take.

23 minutes ago, jjwoben1 said:

We have the table at the foot of the bed moved to where coffee table is, have the chairs at foot of bed and coffee table removed.

Do you have 2 "normal" chairs you can use as well as the sofa?  Would the coffee table fit at the end of the bed for a "surface" to place things?

Edited by 1985rz1

We love that walk in closet on the O ships! Don’t touch them! It get all the clutter and accessories out of the main cabin and frees up space. Things like all the camera equipment, dive or snorkel gear, shoes, etc, etc can disappear into that walk in. A lot more space than on R ships.

I fully realize some come here wanting more clutter ( Nepresso coffee pots sound familiar ) but we’re not in that group.

On the R ships, when they do en-suite, they bring in a table top to increase the size of that coffee table. I wish they’d do the same on the O ships. We’d just pull the chairs further out and enjoy a larger eating area.

We’ve seen the folks that eat most of their meal en-suite or Room Service. They may have their own ideas but perhaps we don’t dine in enough to recognize all the issues. Current set up works OK for us as is. We’re so happy to get a nice continental breakfast served in our cabin on an early tour day we don’t fret the small stuff like whether the bed is made! Sea days or later morning starts we’ In the GDR for breakfast.