Has Anyone Taken the Ferry from Manhattan to the Brooklyn Cruise Port

Jimbo59

4 minutes ago, Jimbo59 said:

Taxi is probably best. I was  asking about the Ferry from Manhattan to Red Hook.

The thread I posted discusses some experiences with the ferry you are asking about.  Folks have reported good experiences with it.  The ferry leaves you right at the cruise terminal without the hassle of accessing it by ground transportation.

Edited by 138east
  • Like 2

The ferry from Manhattan to Red Hook Brooklyn cruise terminal leaves from lower manhattan; in the financial district.  If you are asking about ferry from any other part of Manhattan; I think a taxi would be more suited to get to the Brooklyn cruise terminal

Keep in mind that the ferry offers free connections. There are also landing slips at East 34th and 90th streets. Both would involve a transfer at Wall Street, but might still be better than land-based transport, if they're convenient departure points.

25 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Keep in mind that the ferry offers free connections. There are also landing slips at East 34th and 90th streets. Both would involve a transfer at Wall Street, but might still be better than land-based transport, if they're convenient departure points.

Good to know;  thanks for the tip

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to chime in here.  We sailed out of Redhook Sept. 1, 2019 We flew into Newark, took an Uber to Pier 11 (with 2 big suitcases) $57.25 with tip.  From there we rolled our suitcases a very short distance and bought two tickets for the ferry - $2.75 each.  Boarding the ferry was simple - a short ramp up and a quick ride with two stops prior to Redhook.  The ferry drops you off literally feet from the cruise terminal entrance.  We dropped our luggage with a porter and got in line.  By the time we got through the line and to our cabin, our luggage was already there.  Could not have been more simple and was fun to boot.  Highly recommend it.

8 minutes ago, Hoofhearted+1 said:

Just wanted to chime in here.  We sailed out of Redhook Sept. 1, 2019 We flew into Newark, took an Uber to Pier 11 (with 2 big suitcases) $57.25 with tip.  From there we rolled our suitcases a very short distance and bought two tickets for the ferry - $2.75 each.  Boarding the ferry was simple - a short ramp up and a quick ride with two stops prior to Redhook.  The ferry drops you off literally feet from the cruise terminal entrance.  We dropped our luggage with a porter and got in line.  By the time we got through the line and to our cabin, our luggage was already there.  Could not have been more simple and was fun to boot.  Highly recommend it.

Great firsthand feedback!  Thanks for posting your experience.

Got it.  Thanks 138east.  So do you think Hoofhearted+1, saved money by going from EWR to Pier 11 then ferry to redhook; verses uber directly to Red Hook?  

Edited by AF-1
added txt

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Got it.  Thanks 138east.  So do you think Hoofhearted+1, saved money by going from EWR to Pier 11 then ferry to redhook; verses uber directly to Red Hook?  

I’m not the best one to comment on the cost of an Uber from Newark Airport to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.  $57.25 sounds very reasonable from EWR to Pier 11, especially when you consider the $15 Holland Tunnel toll plus some turnpike toll.  I would definitely pay the $2.75/pp ferry cost for a nice relaxing boat trip on the East River with photo ops of the ship I was going to sail on rather than subject myself to a ride across the Brooklyn Bridge onto the BQE or pay the $8.50 Hugh Carey Tunnel toll to get to Red Hook. 

12 hours ago, 138east said:

I’m not the best one to comment on the cost of an Uber from Newark Airport to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.  $57.25 sounds very reasonable from EWR to Pier 11, especially when you consider the $15 Holland Tunnel toll plus some turnpike toll.  I would definitely pay the $2.75/pp ferry cost for a nice relaxing boat trip on the East River with photo ops of the ship I was going to sail on rather than subject myself to a ride across the Brooklyn Bridge onto the BQE or pay the $8.50 Hugh Carey Tunnel toll to get to Red Hook. 

I absolutely agree!

I’m arriving by Amtrak in Penn Station around noon on a Saturday for Princess Cruise.  Now I’m reading about the ferry to the Brooklyn terminal. Would it be better to take a cab from Penn Station to the Ferry (pier 11, is what I’m reading here). Then ferry over to the cruise port?  Or just go ahead and taxi directly to Brooklyn terminal.

Which brings up another question if I just take a cab.  Will I have trouble finding a cab willing to leave Manhattan to go to the Brooklyn terminal? could I possibly get attitude from the cabbie having to go to Brooklyn. I realize that attitude would be specific to the cabbie, but generally would the taxis driver just rather take the short Manhattan trips, or is this really not a concern I should have about going to Brooklyn from Manhattan?

Once I’m inside the taxi the cabbie has to take me to my designation, the Brooklyn cruise terminal. Just not sure how easy it would be for the cabbie to get a fare back to Manhattan.

But I suppose it’s his chosen job, so maybe I should not be concerned with the cabbie next fare and where it leads him. 

Thanks for reply 

On 9/13/2019 at 8:13 PM, 138east said:

So to be honest, we are from Minnesota where the toll road does not exist :).  So I was a little surprised when I put the address into the Uber app and it came back with a $50+ fare - but that was cheaper than the Dial 7 quote which was about $140 for 2 people.  As we approached the Holland tunnel and saw the toll to go through, it made more sense to us why the fare was that high.  Looking a little closer at my Uber receipt, the fare was $22.78, tolls were $25.80 and NY Black car fund was $1.21 (which must be the fund they compensate all the taxi's for lost work?) then a 15% tip.  So was it cheaper - yes a little bit, but was it more fun - Yes a lot and we got to walk past all the taxi's that were lined up at the terminal waiting to pick people up or drop them off.