St. Thomas/San Juan excursions suitable for 2 and 4 year old

ZoeyBarkow

Hi all,

We are cruising at the end of July with a 2 and a 4 year old, through Carnival.

I am not overly impressed with any of the offered excursions for either port.

Is a beach easily accessible without purchasing an excursion for either of these ports? 

Is this even even a good idea to venture out with the kiddos like that? 

Every time I’ve done an excursion, it’s always been one offered through the ship. 

Thanks in advance! 

Your ship will very likely dock right in the middle of Old San Juan, and there is so much to do there for small children! Our son loved it last year when we cruised to San Juan. It’s a great place to walk—even with the stroller it’s doable but know that it’ll be up hill from the ship— the two old forts are easily in walking distance, and El Morro especially will be fun for the children. When we were there in February there were re-enactments and cannon firings, it was really neat. Grab lunch/drinks at El Convento. It’s beautiful! 

St Thomas is also very easy to do on your own— Magen’s Bay is a great beach, and is easily accessible via taxi from either pier. 

On 6/15/2019 at 2:30 PM, Dulciana8 said:

Your ship will very likely dock right in the middle of Old San Juan, and there is so much to do there for small children! Our son loved it last year when we cruised to San Juan. It’s a great place to walk—even with the stroller it’s doable but know that it’ll be up hill from the ship— the two old forts are easily in walking distance, and El Morro especially will be fun for the children. When we were there in February there were re-enactments and cannon firings, it was really neat. Grab lunch/drinks at El Convento. It’s beautiful! 

St Thomas is also very easy to do on your own— Magen’s Bay is a great beach, and is easily accessible via taxi from either pier. 

Thanks for the response! 

How do taxis with small children work there? They are usually in car seats. 😬

Are there any that are big enough for 4 people? 

TIA! 

11 hours ago, ZoeyBarkow said:

Thanks for the response! 

TIA! 

St Thomas is  US territory and your kids will need to be in seats. You can bring your own. How big and tall are your kids? Is your 4 yo big and mature enough for a no back booster for travel purposes only?

15 hours ago, ZoeyBarkow said:

Thanks for the response! 

TIA! 

I would urge you to do a quick search on these boards regarding what others have done before regarding cruising with car seats, as there are many threads on this topic. I think you will find, that as you cruise with your children, what is done ‘properly’, and what is ‘commonly’ done, can vary. 

These are both beautiful, family friendly ports, and you and your children will have a wonderful time. Also, bring some sand toys from home— my son is five, and we always pack our own!! 

I did San Juan with my 4 year old and 1 year old and it was very doable. Everything is within walking distance. We didn’t do the beach but we walked over to the San Cristobal fort and walked all over it. It was fine with an umbrella stroller. I wouldn’t do it with anything bigger than that. We were able to navigate the streets just fine. 

As for St Thomas, I haven done that port with kids yet, butihave done was t as art of the ships excursion and taking a taxi. Megan’s Bay is amazing and the kids should love it. I haven’t seen car seats on the beach so that tells me that either the taxis have them or they look the other way. I would definitely do as Dulciana suggests and search on the boards.