Epic fail in planning our Rome day:(

petuniaflower

Following on from euro cruiser's post, if you arrive early there is plenty to look at in the immediate area, including the Arch of Constantine (next to the Colosseum), and you can also find some spots where you can look into the Forum, if you don't want to actually go in.

After the Colosseum, you can easily walk to the Pantheon (you really should see it), Trevi Fountain, and end at the Spanish Steps. Be sure to map a path and have a map with you. It's pretty straightforward, especially between the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps (there are often small brown signs pointing to the key sites).  Street signs are high up and usually affixed to buildings, not freestanding.

At the Spanish Steps, take the metro in the direction of Termini, and from there you can get the train to Civitavecchia. Be sure to leave yourself enough time -- the train tracks for the Civi train are nearly two blocks from the entrance to the station, on an auxiliary track.

• Like 2

So glad you got your tickets!

FYI, I am booked on a private tour but it does not include entrance to the Colosseum. The tour company sent a separate email on how to purchase tickets and for which time slot. However, I booked this tour so far in advance that tickets for Aug 2019 had not opened yet. I set reminders to check every couple weeks and guess what? One day I looked and the time slot the tour company said to buy was sold out! I, like  you, started panicking. How do you go to Rome and not see inside the Colosseum?!?!  Started emailing the tour company and  long story short, I could book any skip-the-line tour as long as it was between 9:25 and 9:45. It ended up being the audio tour you referenced that we had to buy. I immediately posted on my roll call bc I knew others had this tour booked and was able to make sure they purchased their tickets too. 

So plan early, plan smart, plan often. Lol. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

You don't want to wait for the Civitavecchia Express train, it's really too late and you'll lose valuable time in Rome.

In my experience the ships are generally at the dock and cleared for disembarking pretty fast on port days, you can probably be off the ship by 7:15 AM.  

Depending on where your ship is berthed you may or may not be able to walk to the train station.  If you are at #10 - #13 you can walk from there, obviously from #13 is a longer walk (the length of three or four cruise ships) but it's manageable and faster than waiting for the port shuttle bus and then walking a mile from the drop off point near Largo della Pace.   From the absolute furthest point (#13) it's about two miles to the station, from the closer in berths it's more like a mile and a quarter. You can see this on the port map here:  https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/mappa-del-porto#.  Note that this map is unusual, the top of the map is actually southwest (most maps put north at the top).

There are trains on weekdays as follows (depart Civitavecchia, arrive Roma Ostiense):

7:44 - 8:36

7:58 - 9:06

8:42 - 9:36

At the train station newsstand you can buy the 5-zone BIRG ticket, this covers your regional train travel to Rome and back as well as all metro, buses and trams in Rome for the entire day.  This ticket costs 12 euro and is a bargain (the train fare alone is 9,20 euro).  Be sure to validate each ticket by stamping them in the machines on the train platforms at Civitavecchia before boarding the train.  If there's room on the back it's also a good idea to write the name of the user and the date.  This isn't required but it's a good backup in the off chance that the machine doesn't properly stamp the date and time on it.

Let's assume you make the 7:58, which is reasonable, and arrive to Ostiense at 9:06.  There is an underground passageway that connects the train station with the Piramide metro station (see this map:  https://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4).

Only the B line of the metro uses this station so you only need to worry about getting on in the right direction.  You want a train heading towards either Jonio or Rebibbia.  The second station is Colosseo, as you exit the metro station you're facing the Colosseum, it's pretty impressive and couldn't be easier.  You should be there no later than 9:30 if you make the 7:58 train.

Thank you so much!  Is there no way/stop to take the train straight to the Colosseum area without taking another bus (is a metro a bus or subway)?  Also, I have read that the trains that are not express can be packed and you may not get on, does anyone have experience with this?

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Following on from euro cruiser's post, if you arrive early there is plenty to look at in the immediate area, including the Arch of Constantine (next to the Colosseum), and you can also find some spots where you can look into the Forum, if you don't want to actually go in.

After the Colosseum, you can easily walk to the Pantheon (you really should see it), Trevi Fountain, and end at the Spanish Steps. Be sure to map a path and have a map with you. It's pretty straightforward, especially between the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps (there are often small brown signs pointing to the key sites).  Street signs are high up and usually affixed to buildings, not freestanding.

At the Spanish Steps, take the metro in the direction of Termini, and from there you can get the train to Civitavecchia. Be sure to leave yourself enough time -- the train tracks for the Civi train are nearly two blocks from the entrance to the station, on an auxiliary track.

Ok, that works, if our Colosseum tix are for 11, we would have enough to see Forum/palatine hill after we arrive:) Probably leave the Colosseum around 12, then be in the other area around 1230 for lunch/sightseeing, does that sound doable? Is there food/markets etc in that area?  Also, what time/how much time do you recommend heading back at, ship leaves at 6.  Thx!

• Like 1

No, there's no way to get to the Colosseum without changing transport modes.

The metro is the subway system (see this map that shows both regional train lines and metro lines in Rome: https://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

The trains can be packed but rarely so much that you can't get on, you may have to stand for a while until enough people get off for seats to free up.  However, this is why we always recommend aiming for the next to the last train that will get you back on time, so in the very minimal event that this happens, you have a fall back.  Also, if you get on at Termini, the beginning of the line, your chances of getting a seat are higher.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

If your ship leaves at 6 your all-aboard time will be 5:30.  That means that the very latest you want to arrive by train to the Civitavecchia station is 5 PM.

Using regional trains, the last one in that time frame departs Rome at 3:42 PM (arrives 5:05 PM).  The one before this, the recommended option, departs Rome at 3:12 PM and arrives at 4:18 PM.  You could use the BIRG ticket on either of these trains.

If you're willing to spend a little more money (the BIRG ticket is not good on this train) and have an assigned seat (no risk of not getting on or having to stand) you could take the 3:57 PM Intercity train, arriving at 4:45.  This train costs 11,50 euro one way (last minute fare) but you can save by purchasing the tickets in advance on line.  The IC train makes only one stop, at Roma Ostiense, between Termini and Civitavecchia.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Ok, that works, if our Colosseum tix are for 11, we would have enough to see Forum/palatine hill after we arrive:) Probably leave the Colosseum around 12, then be in the other area around 1230 for lunch/sightseeing, does that sound doable? Is there food/markets etc in that area?  

Yes, sounds very doable. There are lots of restaurants on various piazzas that are lovely, but when you have a tight schedule that may take too long. Look for something like a "Salumeria" (take away meats, cheeses, bread, usually they will make sandwiches). There is one on the Piazza della Rotonda (the piazza where the Pantheon is located). If you are facing the front of the Pantheon it's on the right side of the piazza. They are very popular and make excellent porchetta sandwiches, a real Italian treat...

There are also "bars" (not just for drinks, they usually have panini, some other baked goods), and take away or quick serve pizza places, some of which are decent and others terrible, lol. 

Don't worry about communicating, shops in these areas are VERY used to tourists and most speak some English. Pointing always works too. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

If your ship leaves at 6 your all-aboard time will be 5:30.  That means that the very latest you want to arrive by train to the Civitavecchia station is 5 PM.

Using regional trains, the last one in that time frame departs Rome at 3:42 PM (arrives 5:05 PM).  The one before this, the recommended option, departs Rome at 3:12 PM and arrives at 4:18 PM.  You could use the BIRG ticket on either of these trains.

If you're willing to spend a little more money (the BIRG ticket is not good on this train) and have an assigned seat (no risk of not getting on or having to stand) you could take the 3:57 PM Intercity train, arriving at 4:45.  This train costs 11,50 euro one way (last minute fare) but you can save by purchasing the tickets in advance on line.  The IC train makes only one stop, at Roma Ostiense, between Termini and Civitavecchia.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

This will not include our way there or the metro correct?  Does this ticket offer an all inclusive option?  How many stops does the Brig make? 

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

No, there's no way to get to the Colosseum without changing transport modes.

The metro is the subway system (see this map that shows both regional train lines and metro lines in Rome: https://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4

The trains can be packed but rarely so much that you can't get on, you may have to stand for a while until enough people get off for seats to free up.  However, this is why we always recommend aiming for the next to the last train that will get you back on time, so in the very minimal event that this happens, you have a fall back.  Also, if you get on at Termini, the beginning of the line, your chances of getting a seat are higher.

Would we be getting on at Termini if we get on around Trevi/Pantheon area?

9 minutes ago, petuniaflower said:

Would we be getting on at Termini if we get on around Trevi/Pantheon area?

While we don't mind helping, you have a lot of questions that might be more easily answered by looking at a guidebook or site that gives you the basics of Rome's transportation options. 

Rome Toolkit (Transportation section):  https://www.rometoolkit.com/mnu/rome_public_transport.htm

TripAdvisor FAQ on getting from Civi to Rome (dated but explains the BIRG):   https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187791-c151384/Rome:Italy:To.And.From.Civitavecchia.Port.html

The BIRG is a type of integrated pass that includes travel on regional trains roundtrip from Civitavecchia to Rome and all metro (subway) and regular bus transportation within Rome for the day. So for what has been discussed here re: getting around, the BIRG pass would cover all your transportation.

The Rome metro does not have stops close to the Pantheon; closest stop to Trevi is the Barberini stop, but if you walk on and end up at the Spanish Steps, there is a metro station right AT the steps.  Take the metro headed in the direction of Termini station (look at the maps on the walls to be sure). It's a short trip -- Termini is two stops from Barberini (Trevi) or three stops from the Spagna (Spanish Steps) stations.

Termini, as mentioned above, is the originating point to Civitavecchia, so you have a better chance of getting seats. But Termini station is HUGE and you will have to walk from the metro station (at the front) through the rail station and then to the auxiliary tracks so allow plenty of time.

• Like 2

If you end your day at either the Trevi Fountain or the Spanish Steps it would make sense to get on the train at Termini.  You can get either a regional train there (remember the three block walk to the tracks) or the more expensive IC train at the main track head.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:21 PM, petuniaflower said:

I think Ive done an epic fail in my planning our day in Rome in July..the number one thing we wanted to do was the Colosseum, and I figured since you can purchase tix there and I wasnt purchasing transfers for the day (planned to take train on our own) therefore wasnt sure what time to select on the ticket..come to today where I thought I may as well just buy the tickets now but Ill just select a bit later time slot and there is no availability!  I am so upset as this was the number 1 thing on our list..any tips are appreciated..should we even bother trying to purchase at the door, if they are sold out of pre purchase?

Thx

viator dot com

On 6/19/2019 at 10:30 AM, petuniaflower said:

Haha good question, I have read through some of the posts and the express train post as well but am still a bit confused about which to buy/book in advance.  We port 7am-6pm.  Our goal is to see the Colosseum area and then likely whatever is in the same area as Trevi/Spanish steps/Pantheon, can we walk from Colosseum area to there?  Aside from Colosseum we'd just like to walk around and explore, have gelato and lunch etc.  Though now with having to be at Colosseum for 1030/11 I dont know if we can fit something in before that or not?

Any help re trains is appreciated!  These boards are AMAZING!

Aren’t they? 😉 It’s the amazing members, as you’ve noticed....and you’ve received assistance from some of the best and brightest on the Italy board, experienced and knowledgeable visitors to this divine city. 

(....and I also recommend Guide books for planning, always fun grabbing from the shelf and hunkering down in the bookstore. Reading always helps get me feeling like my journey started already. I brought a small Lonely Planet Rome Guide with me but then I was there for more than one day. Helped a lot, much to take in as you might have observed! Also, ditto on Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Forum....basically everything cruisemom and eurocruiser suggested, always and especially Termini: it’s big, busy. Don’t think it overwhelmed me as much as Milano Centrale but then I had about five minutes to change trains from one end of the stazione to the other [made it!] but Termini didn’t feel that way at all.) 

Not sure where else you’re cruise calls or when your next cruise will be but do keep coming back to the message boards to discover more about where you’re headed, info on your ship or find news on a variety of other topics. You can also connect with other passengers on your cruise via our ship RollCall boards if you’re so inclined. 

Glad and you’ve got colosseum tickets, enjoy your visit and the incredible city of Rome. I do miss it 🙂 

Edited by Host Bonjour
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 2:31 PM, cruisemom42 said:

As you mention we will likely arrive before our 11am Colosseum ticket.  Can we use/validate the ticket for Palatine hill before we use it for Colosseum, as I think its included?

On 6/19/2019 at 1:07 PM, euro cruiser said:

You don't want to wait for the Civitavecchia Express train, it's really too late and you'll lose valuable time in Rome.

In my experience the ships are generally at the dock and cleared for disembarking pretty fast on port days, you can probably be off the ship by 7:15 AM.  

Depending on where your ship is berthed you may or may not be able to walk to the train station.  If you are at #10 - #13 you can walk from there, obviously from #13 is a longer walk (the length of three or four cruise ships) but it's manageable and faster than waiting for the port shuttle bus and then walking a mile from the drop off point near Largo della Pace.   From the absolute furthest point (#13) it's about two miles to the station, from the closer in berths it's more like a mile and a quarter. You can see this on the port map here:  https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/mappa-del-porto#.  Note that this map is unusual, the top of the map is actually southwest (most maps put north at the top).

There are trains on weekdays as follows (depart Civitavecchia, arrive Roma Ostiense):

7:44 - 8:36

7:58 - 9:06

8:42 - 9:36

At the train station newsstand you can buy the 5-zone BIRG ticket, this covers your regional train travel to Rome and back as well as all metro, buses and trams in Rome for the entire day.  This ticket costs 12 euro and is a bargain (the train fare alone is 9,20 euro).  Be sure to validate each ticket by stamping them in the machines on the train platforms at Civitavecchia before boarding the train.  If there's room on the back it's also a good idea to write the name of the user and the date.  This isn't required but it's a good backup in the off chance that the machine doesn't properly stamp the date and time on it.

Let's assume you make the 7:58, which is reasonable, and arrive to Ostiense at 9:06.  There is an underground passageway that connects the train station with the Piramide metro station (see this map:  https://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=4).

Only the B line of the metro uses this station so you only need to worry about getting on in the right direction.  You want a train heading towards either Jonio or Rebibbia.  The second station is Colosseo, as you exit the metro station you're facing the Colosseum, it's pretty impressive and couldn't be easier.  You should be there no later than 9:30 if you make the 7:58 train.

Is there an amount of time you would suggest to be off the ship-on the train?  Would 45 minutes typically work to get off/get to the station by walking or shuttle/buy the BIRG/ be at right track?

8 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

As you mention we will likely arrive before our 11am Colosseum ticket.  Can we use/validate the ticket for Palatine hill before we use it for Colosseum, as I think its included?

Truthfully I am not 100% certain with all the many new ticket types that are available. It used to be the case that there was one ticket which was good for all 3 sites: Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill. Then they began adding all these new areas and tours, and some have restrictions. 

What does it say on your actual voucher or ticket?  Anything that might clarify?

8 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Is there an amount of time you would suggest to be off the ship-on the train?  Would 45 minutes typically work to get off/get to the station by walking or shuttle/buy the BIRG/ be at right track?

That should be sufficient. (It's the amount of time I would allow if doing it myself....well, actually I might leave the ship even a bit more ahead as I'm compulsive about not missing trains!)

YES to the Salumeria to the right of the Pantheon for a lunch!!!  Also has some really tasty goodies for dessert.  I'm a sucker for porchetta sandwiches!   One pizza al taglio place behind the Pantheon is meh, but if I was desperate, I'd grab a slice.

If you are skittish about using the Metro, there are taxi ranks all around.  Just grab a cab and tell the driver "Roma Termini per favore" 😉

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

YES to the Salumeria to the right of the Pantheon for a lunch!!!  Also has some really tasty goodies for dessert.  I'm a sucker for porchetta sandwiches!   One pizza al taglio place behind the Pantheon is meh, but if I was desperate, I'd grab a slice.

If you are skittish about using the Metro, there are taxi ranks all around.  Just grab a cab and tell the driver "Roma Termini per favore" 😉

WOuld the taxis fit 6?

11 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

WOuld the taxis fit 6?

Most taxis are small sedans. For short distances you might get 3 in the back seat and one in front. But definitely not four. Larger taxis are not very common with the possible exception of at the airport.

Also, note that slidergirl mentions taxi ranks. In Rome, you need to go to one of these stands to get a taxi, you can't just hail one on the street.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Most taxis are small sedans. For short distances you might get 3 in the back seat and one in front. But definitely not four. Larger taxis are not very common with the possible exception of at the airport.

Also, note that slidergirl mentions taxi ranks. In Rome, you need to go to one of these stands to get a taxi, you can't just hail one on the street.

Thanks for answering.  Late night at work, late to get up this morning!