Okay Roadwarriors, Requesting your thoughts and ideas

klfrodo

Sail on the 14th

Flying on the 12th (July)

AA152 STL to DFW, connecting AA 244 DFW to FLL

152 is a new route as of June 9th so not much history. 152 starts early morning from DFW to STL then back to DFW.

I've been monitoring these flights on Flightaware to get some history to prep for possible gate/concourse changes for connecting flights.

What I'm learning so far is that about 30% (or more) of the time, I'm going to miss my connecting flight in DFW due to 152 being hours late. Usually due to weather it appears.

So, my questions to the roadwarriors

1. What should I be doing or researching to be proactive rather than reactive on the morning of?

2. Does my Gold status on AS help at all in this situation if it comes to AA rescheduling and prioritization?

3. Fare code D,,, any issues or restrictions I'm not aware of?

48 minutes ago, Alaskanb said:

See it's cancelled today! 

Any reason you are not using Southwest's early morning non-stop flight? 

I'm a mileage whore so want to earn my AS miles.

Flying FC so that leaves WN out

Very few if any reasons why I would ever make WN my first or second choice.

Edit to add:

Flying with 14yo granddaughter. Being from St. Louis, she flies everywhere on WN. I wanted to spoil her by giving her the opportunity to experience sitting up front and experiencing the Admirals club. Highlight the spoil part.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Haha 1

STL-FLL gives you quite a few options if you can see you're going to miss your connection.

However, the tricky bit is going to be finding 2 FC seats on the day of travel at short notice. As you are probably aware AA start upgrading people 100hrs+ out on domestic flights. I've had misconnections a ton of times on FC fares and have always been able to get on the next flight offering FC, however, flying with the wife I've had success once one on maybe half a dozen occasions in terms of getting two seats with on the day issues. AA are offering FC cabins as small as 8 seats on some of their flights now.

I'd probably keep an eye out for schedule changes and then use that to be able to change your flights to whatever works best at no cost.

AS Gold is worth nothing, IMO.

9 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

See it's cancelled today! 

Any reason you are not using Southwest's early morning non-stop flight? 

Not everyone is a member of the Cult of the Blue and Orange.   Some folks like to know their seat ahead of time and maybe fly up front (as the OP does). Plus, contrary to what many think WN is NOT the cheapest.  

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't worry about it, July 12 could be a perfect travel day in STL/DFW and South FL.  Keep in mind also, that MIA is a major AA hub and you can, if all else fails probably just get on a flight to there and grab a taxi or some sort of transpiration to FLL.  Might not be a seat up front, but between the volume of flights to MIA/FLL from DFW they will get you there. Plus you have the advantage of a couple extra days to get there. 

Also, I wouldn't' get to excited about the Admirals clubs...being a member (via the credit card) they are usually crowed.  I actually found the Alaska air's club in SEA much more comfortable (can't remember what they call theirs).

16 hours ago, fbgd said:

However, the tricky bit is going to be finding 2 FC seats on the day of travel at short notice.

A further not on this...understand that AA is only obligated to ultimately get you to FLL.  In the fine print, they are not responsible for getting you there in order to be on time for a particular event that you've scheduled independent of them, such as embarkation for a cruise, especially if the delay is out of their control such as weather.  So what does that mean?  Well, as fbgd said, if you miss the connection and need to be rebooked it may be difficult to find availability for 2 first class seats, more so than 2 economy seats on another flight.  Thus you might end up with a choice to make- get on an earlier subsequent flight in coach and arrive to your cruise on time, or wait it out for 2 available FC seats on a later flight that would mean missing your connection.  Obviously most people would opt to take the coach option just to get there in time and not miss the cruise, but understand that you would be downgrading voluntarily, meaning AA would owe you no refund downgrade in class and associated difference in fare.  It might not feel voluntary, but as you would otherwise have the option to wait and fly FC later, it would indeed be voluntary. 

why leave so late at 9:49am when there's AA flights for the same price in FC that leave at 7:45am?

For example: AA1410 leaves STL at 7:45am Arrives DFW 9:41am; AA1180 leaves DFW 10:47am arrives FLL 2:47pm

On 6/17/2019 at 7:31 AM, klfrodo said:

Sail on the 14th

Flying on the 12th (July)

AA152 STL to DFW, connecting AA 244 DFW to FLL

152 is a new route as of June 9th so not much history. 152 starts early morning from DFW to STL then back to DFW.

I've been monitoring these flights on Flightaware to get some history to prep for possible gate/concourse changes for connecting flights.

What I'm learning so far is that about 30% (or more) of the time, I'm going to miss my connecting flight in DFW due to 152 being hours late. Usually due to weather it appears.

So, my questions to the roadwarriors

1. What should I be doing or researching to be proactive rather than reactive on the morning of?

2. Does my Gold status on AS help at all in this situation if it comes to AA rescheduling and prioritization?

3. Fare code D,,, any issues or restrictions I'm not aware of?

If it were me I would have a list of 4 alternative routings you are willing to take. If you see the flight is delayed or cancelled I would see about waitlisting for an earlier flight.

Better yet airlines have Minimum Connecting Times and you can change your flight now just speak with a sympathetic agent and explain what you told us and that you are afraid you will miss your flight to a cruise.  I have actually gotten an earlier flight using this MCT approach and it worked very well \\

Google FlyerTalk American Domestic-Domestic Minimum Connecting Time change flight. The airlines are required to give you a minimum amount of time on domestic and international tickets so as long as its booked on one ticket and on a codeshare, interlining flight etc.  If its two tickets then AA  has no obligation to get you to Lufthansa or United on time and vice versa.

Edited by travelplus