Alaska Cruisetour (Land First) Question

beerxtaco

So we will be travelling to Fairbanks on Saturday night for the start of the land portion of our Cruisetour. Fairbanks, to Denali Lodge, McKinley Lodge, then to Whittier to meet the ship the following Saturday. Many excursions have been booked. I'm trying to get a feel for how much cash I should take along. I know I need some tipping money, and cash for snacks/drinks, trinkets, etc. I assume credit cards are accepted for meals at the lodges. I shouldn't need too much once onboard ship, aside from the excursions. Anybody have any guidelines? I always bring too much lol.

First, let's hope the Fairbanks Lodge is reopened by then. They had a kitchen fire that closed the building,. We like to bring enough cash to cover small purchases like coffee from a cart. But hubby is a great believer in using credit cards, too. Our last trip found us paying a fortune for food not covered.

Looks like guests were able to resume their stays on Monday, so hopefully no issues come Saturday.

FAIRBANKS, Alaska The investigation is still ongoing for the fire at Princess Riverside Lodge in Fairbanks that led to the evacuation of close to 600 people.

Sequence+05.Still0014.jpg
University Fire Department Fire Marshal, Kyle Green, said they have been working with the state fire marshal's office, as well as witnesses in the kitchen, to piece together what might have caused the fire.

Princess Cruises said in a statement, "At approximately 8:30 p.m. local time on June 13, a fire broke out in the kitchen of the Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge. The local fire department responded and extinguished the fire. All hotel employees and guests were safely accounted for, and the facilities were deemed safe by local officials. Guests will resume their stays beginning June 17. Restoration for some kitchen facilities remains underway, so special menu offerings are available to accommodate most dining needs until typical operations in food and beverage venues resume."

University Fire Department Fire Marshal, Kyle Green, said they have been working with the state fire marshal's office, as well as witnesses in the kitchen, to piece together what might have caused the fire.

"Ultimately we're narrowing it down to some type of cooking related fire, we're not still quite sure exactly what it was that caught fire, it might be grease, it might be cooking material, so we're still in the process of analyzing all this evidence that we've collected and coming to a determination."

https://www.webcenter11.com/content/news/Per-Fire-Marshal-Princess-Riverside-Lodge-fire-likely-grease-or-cooking-material-fire-511492002.html

A few years ago we, a party of three, charged around $510 for meals and drinks and spent another $200 or so on tips and trinkets for the four day land portion.   We aren’t extravagant by any means and would put our spending about normal. Of course, your mileage may vary.