Berlin----Worth It?

tiffany123

We are on the Star Princess in July and are beginning to plan our shore excursions. We were originally excited about going to Berlin and Berlin was the main reason we picked this itinerary. However, after reading more, we're wondering if the all day excursion to Berlin is worthwhile. We know that we are on a train for approx 6 hours (3 hours each way to and from the port) so that leaves only 6-7 hours at the max for seeing the city. Those of you who have done so, did you see enough of Berlin to compensate for the long train rides? I realize you aren't going to see much in that short time but the Princess description seems to show only 3 main stops with the rest of the sites being drive-bys. We are considering a trip to Rostock and Schweirn instead. Thank you to anyone who replies.

Berlin: IMHO, a day trip (6 hrs on the train?) would not be my idea of a "shore tour". We are great fans of Europe, preferring to do 4 to 7 nt "city tours". Sometimes we do land trips indepenently, sometimes, we get into a formal group. Berlin is a great trip, but I'd want 2 to 3 nts to do and see the most important points of interest (prefer staying at the WESTIN, just steps from "Checkpoint Charlie"). Germany has Great food! Great music/entertainment!. The ambiance of a city, IMHO, cannot be felt until one has awaken to morning church bells, strolled the pathways and parks, enjoyed food and beverage in sidewalk cafes, etc. That being said, when cruising, you only get so many hours to "shore tour". If 6 hrs is devoted to getting there and back, you will still have the train ride and to see the countryside and for mobility challenged folks, this could be desireable. If you are going to the TheWall and Checkpoint Charlie, and TheGate, and if you never plan to return, I'd say "Go For It". Depends on your budget, ability, expectations. There is plenty to see from a train or bus window, but nothing like "touching" things. Enjoy your holiday.

tiffany: I agree with the above poster.

We took a Baltic cruise last summer and were faced with the same decision as you are. We opted to take the Berlin excursion because we are not certain we will get back there again.

We felt it was worth the train trip. We took the HAL excursion that included lunch on river boat, which gave us an different view/perspective of Berlin. We had stops at Checkpoint Charlie, the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag and a palace (sorry I forgot the name) and a downtown shopping center(the latter was just for a photo op). It was long day but we were glad we visited Berlin, if only for a few hours.

I agree with Bill. Sounds like we took the same excursion. Because our Baltic cruise was so port-intensive, it was not the most relaxing cruise we have taken. After several days of excursions, my wife and I found the train ride to Berlin to be a change of pace and we enjoyed the actual train ride more than we expected. We had lived in Germany for two years but had never traveled to Berlin and don't expect to travel there again, so this excursion met our expectations.

Those of you who have done so, did you see enough of Berlin to compensate for the long train rides? I realize you aren't going to see much in that short time but the Princess description seems to show only 3 main stops with the rest of the sites being drive-bys.
I would personally never consider Berlin to be a real cruise ship "port stop" as it's so far from the sea and therefore a real pain to get to.

But the one time that a cruise of mine stopped at a port "for Berlin", I had a very good once-in-a-lifetime reason to go (this was the summer that the Reichstag was wrapped). So I rented a car and drove there. It allowed the four of us to see what we wanted to see in the city, at our own pace and to our own schedule. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who thinks that they're up to organising this for themselves.

The car, BTW, was rented from Avis who delivered a number of cars to the ship's side that morning, and collected them all back at the dock rather than at the location in town.

We are on the Star Princess in July and are beginning to plan our shore excursions. We were originally excited about going to Berlin and Berlin was the main reason we picked this itinerary. However, after reading more, we're wondering if the all day excursion to Berlin is worthwhile. We know that we are on a train for approx 6 hours (3 hours each way to and from the port) so that leaves only 6-7 hours at the max for seeing the city. Those of you who have done so, did you see enough of Berlin to compensate for the long train rides? I realize you aren't going to see much in that short time but the Princess description seems to show only 3 main stops with the rest of the sites being drive-bys. We are considering a trip to Rostock and Schweirn instead. Thank you to anyone who replies.

We did this while cruising on The Golden in July 05 and loved it. We did stay over night in Hamburg so it was worth it. It was one of our favorite stops and all of us from our cruise critic group that went here all really enjoyed Berlin. We all ended up on the same train there and back. I purchased our train tickets directly from DB, actually called there and got a better rate than on their website. Grabbed cabs to the train station and on we went. We did the hop on hop-off bus which was fantatic and then got off on the stops we wanted. My kids loved the Check Point charlies museum. I didn't think that I would enjoy Berlin as much as I did and hope to go back again one day and spend more time there.

Last summer, we managed to get included in a privately booked bus trip to Berlin with about 20 other passengers from the ship. The trip included picking up a guide on the outskirts of Berlin. She stayed with us for about 3-4 hours and she was excellent. She took us to all the tourist destinations and gave us a commentary on each. Having been raised there during the Wall period her perceptions were very interesting. Then she left us to have lunch and do our own thing for another two hours or so. I was very leery about paying the $300 pp which the ship wanted for the train etc. This arrangement cost us about $120 for two of us!!!! plus tips for the driver and the guide. If it's any help, I think I can come up with the tour guide's name and number, but I had nothing to do with the bus reservation. Perhaps she could help with that. If you decide not to make the trip, other people who stayed in the area of Rostock and Warnemunde for the day also seemed to have a very nice time. So get out and try that. Our send off from Warnemunde was really something - it seemed like the whole town came down to the pier. There were bands playing and private boats and tour boats cirlcing all around us. They really seemed to appereciate the cruise ships coming there.

ShamrockFL;

I would be very much interested in any information you have regarding smaller group tours of Berlin. I don't know how to contact you offline but you can post the info here or if you know to contact me personally offline, feel free to do so. It seems there must be someway that I can send you an offline message directly but I don't know how to do so.

The guide's name was Sabine Muller, Address: Roschestr 12, 10629 Berlin.

Phone 030-892 22 05

Cell 0178 397 76 76

Email: elektraberlin@hotmail.com

I imagine the easiest way to comunicate would be her email. I'm sure she will be able to tell you which bus company employs her as a guide and perhaps you can progress from there. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Shamrock FL

I was able to contact the guide you mentioned. She is available for our date and is holding the date for us. Could you share a little more about your tour with her? What, if any, stops did you make, anything that you didn't get to see and feel you missed, etc? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, we traveled two years ago on Crystal Symphony and stopped at Warnemunde. Almost all the passengers got on the train for Berlin and I'd never been (and have long wanted to go). But I thought it was silly to spend so much time in transit. Plus it was a pretty destination-intense itinerary and we were tired.

Well, we had an interesting time in Rostock during our half-day tour and I loved LOVED Warnemunde (a lovely seaside town, really charming). But it wasn't until I went to Berlin this past summer for a non-cruise weekend (is that allowed, LOL) that I realized how much I missed. Even if it was a travel intensive day. I'd say don't miss it, do the highlights, and then come back again for a longer stay.

Suzi

We have a similar situation in August. We are on the Golden and the day we are in Ediburgh is not enough, so we are flying there (instead of London) to spend a few days on our own to see it in greater depth. Then we will fly to London to join the cruise and use our day in Edinburgh to see what we missed.

You could do the same and go to Berlin a few days early or after to see it in greater depth. You are spending airfare to get there so you should consider spending a little more time to be sure to see it......:)

We have a similar situation in August. We are on the Golden and the day we are in Ediburgh is not enough, so we are flying there (instead of London) to spend a few days on our own to see it in greater depth. Then we will fly to London to join the cruise and use our day in Edinburgh to see what we missed.

You could do the same and go to Berlin a few days early or after to see it in greater depth. You are spending airfare to get there so you should consider spending a little more time to be sure to see it......:)

Since you've decided to spend a few days in Edinburgh prior to your cruise you must already be aware that there is lots to do there. If you have any specific queries on your visit I would suggest posting them on the Britain board - several of us who live in or near Edinburgh can then help answer your questions.

We rented a car with another couple and made the 2 hour drive there and used a Hop On Hop Off bus to sightsee. Berlin is an interesting city and I have always wanted to see it. Now that I have done a quick tour, I don't see a need to make a special trip to go there again. It was not one of our favorite stops on the Baltics Cruise.

Given that the ship was in port for 12 hours or more, we felt hat we made a good choice.

Archived