Sweet white wine, what should I choose?

13 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

MY DW would join you in the Marlborough Sav Blanc... but there is no way they are going to have free bottles of ice wine or late harvest whites of any kind.  Those truly even for the pink Koolaid crowd are too sweet unless they are served with dessert and then they are wonderfully decadent.  Only wines I can’t drink after the first taste of dessert.  

For me nothing sucks more than bringing me dessert right after pouring me a giant red wine.  I have to drink the wine, that I crave, knowing that the dessert tempting me will destroy the taste of it.  So, 30 minutes later, I finally have a bite of dessert.

jc

Ice wine reminds me of the heavy syrup in fruit cocktail 

• Like 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Ice wine reminds me of the heavy syrup in fruit cocktail 

Yes, but they actually can have a fairly high alcohol content.  Since the grapes crushed are condensed they have more sugar than juice.  Which means that you can ferment the wine and end up with a sweet high alcohol wine, versus pink Koolaid... which is just sweet.

I am sure they add sugar to that mess. 

JC

I said wine... 

hardly any wine in pink Koolaid.  Finally broke our friend of that.  Never forget the time we were floating the Buffalo and they wiped out and lost 3 bottles of Koolaid, before we hiked to Hemmed in Hollar.

jc

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I said wine... 

hardly any wine in pink Koolaid.  Finally broke our friend of that.  Never forget the time we were floating the Buffalo and they wiped out and lost 3 bottles of Koolaid, before we hiked to Hemmed in Hollar.

jc

Ok Snobby McWinesnob. The OP asked for a sweet white wine. That's what Americans like when they want sweet. You can't argue with popularity

Carry on

• Haha 2

Yes, ...  So about a decade ago, we were driving in the MINI on some lovely Arkansas road, when we hit the Arkansas River and drove a road along the valley.  I noticed that there were signs for vineyards... so, since it was close to dinner time and checking into our hotel, I told the DW let’s check these out.  (One of the oldest vineyards in constant production is in this area, Wiedeker (sp?) has been there since the late 19th century). So, we go in and I was surprised that the vineyard had Cabernet and Merlot, etc.  They bought the juice in California.  They had a 50’ long tasting bar that was clearly historic, not new fab... it was quite nice.

Then a bubba with about 10 of his own teeth came in , wearing a John Daly outfit.  Overalls, no tee shirt... and walked up to the beautiful bar and loudly and proudly proclaimed....  “ Do you have any of that sweet red wine?”  It was a classic moment.  If only the producers on National Lampoon’s Xmas vacation were there.... they would have been able to make another funny movie.

jc 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Then a bubba with about 10 of his own teeth came in , wearing a John Daly outfit.  Overalls, no tee shirt... and walked up to the beautiful bar and loudly and proudly proclaimed....  “ Do you have any of that sweet red wine?”  It was a classic moment.  If only the producers on National Lampoon’s Xmas vacation were there.... they would have been able to make another funny movie.

jc 

You should visit Cocoa Beach winery

Lovely fruit wines

Orange, pineapple, peach, blueberry, strawberry, key lime, etc....

All over $20 a bottle. I think I saw someone picking out their two bottles for Harmony 

Edited by John&LaLa

14 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Moscato

I'm not a wine drinker but I do really like Moscato.  They have Linderman in the dining room and Giovanni's has one that starts with a P that is even better.  I tried it in December and am now hooked.

Moscato or Icewine for "sweet white wine." These are usually dessert wines, but let people have what they want when they want. For a "sweeter but not dessert sweet" white wine, there's Asti as others have mentioned, Riesling, and Gewurztraminer (pronounced "ge-VUR-straminer"). Sometimes Riesling can have a lemony taste and be not as sweet, but it's still not going to be as heavy as a Chardonnay.

Edited by emory2001

Are there any low sugar (carb) wines that someone can suggest?  I’m not a wine drinker normally, haven’t been a drinker at all for the past few years due to medications, but I’m off the meds now and rather than get another towel or tote I’d like to get a bottle (or 3) of wine when I cruise in September B3B. 

Which have the lowest sugar content on the list?  Or at the bars?

Thank you. 

43 minutes ago, Croozin Soozin said:

Are there any low sugar (carb) wines that someone can suggest?  I’m not a wine drinker normally, haven’t been a drinker at all for the past few years due to medications, but I’m off the meds now and rather than get another towel or tote I’d like to get a bottle (or 3) of wine when I cruise in September B3B. 

Which have the lowest sugar content on the list?  Or at the bars?

Thank you. 

Both dry red and dry white will tend to be lower in residual sugar levels.

When it comes to sparkling wines, opt for extra dry, brut or extra brut sparkling wine and Champagne. Maybe knowing this, you can look up some names. I am not a dry wine drinker. They leave a "tangy" taste on my tongue. LOL

• Like 2

For Croozin Soozin; 

My hubby and I have been ketoing for a while now.  Someone had posted this a few weeks ago.  if you are interested to know about carb content this is very helpful.  I’m fortunate as I love Sauvignon Blanc and occasionally a Pinot Grigio.  (Hubby has lost 13 and myself 9). Best of luck...😊

7ACFB30D-8D95-4775-B5C0-8A11545F43ED.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Ok Snobby McWinesnob. The OP asked for a sweet white wine. That's what Americans like when they want sweet. You can't argue with popularity

Carry on

Babycham was a favourite of Pauline's.