London Traffic Delays: Aug 2-4

Dear valued Vice-President,

You have perhaps been misled by your own cruise line's phrase "London (Southampton)."

Thank you for advising us of the effects of the Ride London event, but it's 80 miles from the ship.

And thank you for the warning that 8,000 cruisers sailing in four ships from a city 80 miles away will impact on London (30,000,000 visitors annually)

Warmest Regards

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Dear valued Vice-President,

You have perhaps been misled by your own cruise line's phrase "London (Southampton)."

Thank you for advising us of the effects of the Ride London event, but it's 80 miles from the ship.

And thank you for the warning that 8,000 cruisers sailing in four ships from a city 80 miles away will impact on London (30,000,000 visitors annually)

Warmest Regards

I posted this message as I believe it to be helpful for any cruisers who need to make their way to Southampton port from central London - there are many of us.  As well, if visiting London pre-cruise, good to know in advance that RideLondon will impact some common tourist areas e.g. Pall Mall , Trafalgar Sq etc. (https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/info-hub/road-closures/)

• Like 1

Just now, WESTEAST said:

I posted this message as I believe it to be helpful for any cruisers who need to make their way to Southampton port from central London - there are many of us.  As well, if visiting London pre-cruise, good to know in advance that RideLondon will impact some common tourist areas e.g. Pall Mall , Trafalgar Sq etc. (https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/info-hub/road-closures/)

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you - I trust you realise I wasn't being critical of your post.

But I certainly was criticising the VP for one of the most banal and out-of-touch notices that I've seen.

"Important Update" writ large in red should be reserved for ..... errr.....ummmmm .....well......... important updates. 

"Central London will be busy this time of year, with multiple ships in port....."  shows that the VP (or hopefully, and more likely, a clueless junior writing in the VP's name) has no idea about where their ships port, or how the number of cruisers from all the ports would have no effect whatsoever on such a big city even if every one of them visited London.

And London has events & traffic diversions pretty-well every week - important only to drivers of buses, taxis, goods vehicles  etc.  No diversions on the tube or the trains, which is how most folk get around. No impact on trains or buses to Southampton.  The only impact on pedestrians will be that crossing the cycle route will be at stewarded points.

It was kind of you to post that Update, but it really is a nonsensical notice

JB :classic_wink:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you - I trust you realise I wasn't being critical of your post.

But I certainly was criticising the VP for one of the most banal and out-of-touch notices that I've seen.

"Important Update" writ large in red should be reserved for ..... errr.....ummmmm .....well......... important updates. 

"Central London will be busy this time of year, with multiple ships in port....."  shows that the VP (or hopefully, and more likely, a clueless junior writing in the VP's name) has no idea about where their ships port, or how the number of cruisers from all the ports would have no effect whatsoever on such a big city even if every one of them visited London.

And London has events & traffic diversions pretty-well every week - important only to drivers of buses, taxis, goods vehicles  etc.  No diversions on the tube or the trains, which is how most folk get around. No impact on trains or buses to Southampton.  The only impact on pedestrians will be that crossing the cycle route will be at stewarded points.

It was kind of you to post that Update, but it really is a nonsensical notice

Not really nonsensical for us travellers as when we were reserving car transport to Southampton we were informed that normal pick-up at many impacted hotels in central London would not be possible on embarkation day so if one assumes there is 'no problem' best to do some research or miss the ship.

27 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

Not really nonsensical for us travellers as when we were reserving car transport to Southampton we were informed that normal pick-up at many impacted hotels in central London would not be possible on embarkation day so if one assumes there is 'no problem' best to do some research or miss the ship.

Right, you were informed by the car transfer operator. 

• Like 1

There is also a significant knock on impact from Ride London into Surrey.  Not the main roads obviously but several smaller villages can be completely cut off by it.   And a few cruises do genuinely depart from London -although this isn't one of them!

If you are transferring from Central London to Southampton by private car then be guided by the car company.  In central London the road closures tend to be timed but as you move further out from the absolute center they can be day long.  (I live in a village I cannot actually leave for 2 days as every exit road is closed by this pesky thing...)   You might need to amend your plans either by changing the hotel or making arrangements to get outside the closure by public transport which is largely unaffected.  I would suggest being guided by your car company as to whether to allow extra time.  The main roads are completely unaffected of course; but it only takes one big crash to close a motorway and your options to get round using smaller routes, especially in Surrey, could be impacted.  If you are transferring by train there will be no difference - other than the inevitable Sunday timetable.  There is also a  possible impact for cruises arriving by air - simply because of the limited options should a motorway get closed.

But I completely share John's amusement at the suggestion in the update that the cruise actually leaves from London!

I will be in London that weekend (actually heading to Heathrow on Sunday morning). I'm grateful that my hotel is right near King's Cross - St. Pancras, as I will just hop on the Piccadilly Line to get to the airport. My Saturday plans involve two walking tours, and I have confirmed that they won't be affected by the routes.

On 6/23/2019 at 12:08 AM, WESTEAST said:

Hi Cindy,

I've been musing over my previous response, and I've perhaps been a bit harsh. 

Yes,  car transfer operators would (should), as yours did, advise those customers planning to travel to Southampton from any hotel impacted by the central London road closures.

But there would have been no harm in the belt-and-braces if the cruise line had done the same.

My distain was for the unnecessary scare-mongering blanket warning, and the nonsense that London would be extra-crowded by ships porting 80 miles away in Southampton. :classic_rolleyes:

If Oceania had simply referenced the Ride London event with the link, and suggested that passengers check whether their London hotel was affected, they wouldn't have raised my hackles. :classic_wink:

• Like 1