Cruise for 50th Anniversary - please help!

TMG

My sister and I are arranging a cruise for our parents 50th anniversary.

The cruise will be Sept and/or Oct of this year.

My sister came up with the Celebrity Summit 14-day cruise to Hawaii.

I have NO experience with cruises, so I have a number of questions:

1. my mom is somewhat prone to sea sickness -- is sending them on a cruise a bad idea? How likely is it that they would encounter rough seas on this particular trip to Hawaii in Sept/Oct?

2. is this particular cruise (Celebrity/Summit to Hawaii) a good choice for a 50th anniversary celebration -- i.e. a romantic getaway for an elderly couple?

3. assuming we stick with this particular cruise, any suggestions for the specific room type/location?

4. does anyone have any advice or recommendations for a different/better cruise during this same time period (Sept/Oct of this year) ?

5. any other tips or warnings?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

TMG

We're actually doing the same kind of thing. Except we've chosen the Mercury on Sept 8th to Alaska.

It will be my partners parents 50th Anniversary, my parents 43rd, our 10th and my fathers 65th Bday on the 8th...so we have a lot to celebrate.

This will be the first time our parents have ever met;)

So it will be interesting.

We chose this ITN because most kids will be in school at that time, and we expect there will be more of their age group on the ship. Not that it is a requirement, but makes meeting people a little easier, at least IMHO.

Hope that helps a little!

Dave:eek:

What a wonderful gift to give your parents. I would recommend either Holland America or Celebrity for your parents 50th wedding anniversary. But from what I understand, you can encounter some rough seas with that Hawaii cruise. If this is your parents first cruise, I feel 14 days may be too long for them.

I would suggest for their first cruise, a 7-day cruise. September is a very active month for hurricane's in the caribbean and October can be as well as we have seen the past couple of years. Have you thought about giving them the cruise on their anniversary, but having them sail in February or March, which is a great time of the year in the Caribbean.

I like to book mid-ship, on a lower deck, which seems to be a more stable area of the ship, this would be especially good if your mom is proned to sea sickness. They say Bonine works well with people who get sea sick, perhaps she could take that.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Bonine should work for your mothers sea sickness. Have her take it the day before you all leave. Mid ship is always the best area for stability so do not book a guarantee. I am going to Hawaii in a little over a month on the Summit. This is the cruise I am most looking forward to because to me Hawaii is a romantic American get away :)

As far as room type goes. Depends on the finances. I am spoiled I started in a balcony room and moved up to a Jr Suite room with RCCL. With Celebrity I am back to a balcony room. :( :) :D

From what I have heard Celebrity is a very nice cruise line perfect for an anniversary couple.

Types of cruises that time of year. I have wanted to do the New England Canada trip during that time of year. I heard it is beautiful just a little chilly though. Whatever you decide your parents will never forget the most wonderful daughters in the world!

IMO, Celebrity is a perfect choice and the Summit a beautiful ship.

I would suggest 7 days not 14. Perhaps a night or two prior to the cruise in the city of embarkation would be nice.

New England would be a great choice. No hurricane season to speak of, great scenery and a clientele well represented by their age group. A balcony would be a great treat!

You don't say where they live; whether or not they've cruised before. If they will fly, my vote is for a cruise from Boston or NY to CANADA. Calm seas, many (active) seniors, great port calls, Fall Foliage. I'd vote for Royal Caribbean:D . Is this a surprise?

Sorry I left out some important info ...

My folks live in Southern California, so they wouldn't have to fly for the cruise to Hawaii. That's a big plus.

They have cruised twice before to the Caribbean, including one trip in moderately rough seas which was really hard on my mom.

I'm concerned that one person has already advised against this cruise due to my mom being somewhat prone to seasickness.

Thanks for all the input and advice -- I really appreciate it.

HI cruise is always a rough crossing. What about a Mexican Riviera cruise? there are some nice short cruises that do Catalina Island/Ensenda. I've even seen some roundtrip runs to Alaska, but don't have any idea on roughness, etc. If your mom seriously has a sea sickness problem, you might rethink booking her on a cruise? Let us know what you decide, ok? Cruise Critic Cares!

We did our 25th anniversary on Holland america's rotterdam to Europe.

All HAL ships offer a renewal of vows ceremony which is very nicely done. It includes a reception and a photo album with ceremony pictures, champagne etc.

HAL ships are classy and understated with beautiful art, decor, excellent service, great food, and well-traveled passengers. This might be perfect for a 50th anniversary cruise.

Grannynurse

Archived