is transit visa required ?

Rico2016

Hi,

we are going on a cruise from Florida to Panama canal, the ship will stop in Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico.

can any one advise us whether we need a transit visa for these few hours the ship is disembarking ?

I'm pretty sure you're OK without anything for those countries assuming you are a Finnish citizen (friend's wife is Finnish, they cruised quite a bit around carribean/central America from the US before she got her green card, and Wikipedia's very useful reference pages on visa requirements for different citizenships back up no need for any paperwork) so only getting into the US needs anything at all (ESTA, as you're one of the Visa Waiver countries).

Still, I'd double-check with the embassy/government site of each country to play safe - links are on that wiki - to ensure tour info comes 'straight from the hoses mouth.' You shouldn't trust any randos on the internet to be accurate - including me 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

www.visahq.com

It takes you country of citizenship and your destination and tells you if you need a visa.

If there is an exemption for cruise passengers (many times to typical cruise countries) it will show to the left.

But to be SURE, contact the Embassy or Consulate of each country you will be visiting.

• Like 2

Thank you guys, I live in Finland but I have Egyptian passport with 5 years multiple United States Visa. Do you think still ok to go to the cruise with stopping in Colombia, Panama, costa Rica  , Nicaragua and Mexico ?

2 hours ago, SRF said:

www.visahq.com

It takes you country of citizenship and your destination and tells you if you need a visa.

If there is an exemption for cruise passengers (many times to typical cruise countries) it will show to the left.

But to be SURE, contact the Embassy or Consulate of each country you will be visiting.

Since visahq.com is a commercial visa and passport service, not an official source of information, the OP darn well better check with the consulate or embassy each country being visted.

Edited by njhorseman

38 minutes ago, Rico2016 said:

Thank you guys, I live in Finland but I have Egyptian passport with 5 years multiple United States Visa. Do you think still ok to go to the cruise with stopping in Colombia, Panama, costa Rica  , Nicaragua and Mexico ?

No one here should be trying to answer your question because no one here is likely to know.

You have to check the requirements with each country's embassy or consulate, and don't be surprised if you need a visa for at least one those countries.

12 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

OR...call customer service at the cruise line where you want to use. It is their business to know things like this.

Jim

Sure. They should, and sometimes you will actually get an answer, often a correct answer. But somewhere in the fine print of the cruise contract it is specified that it is totally and completely and without exception and unconditionally the responsibility of the cruiser to obtain and carry all necessary documentation. I've been on a cruise where a couple had to leave the ship in Buenos Aires and rejoin on the first port after Brazil (at their own expense) because they failed to get Brazilian visas. On another cruise a fellow didn't get the required simple online visa for Turkey and the staff had to do it for him. He didn't know his own email password to receive the online visa, but that's another story. Bottom line: the buck stops with the cruiser -- even with anecdotal example where the cruise line helped.

20 hours ago, Rico2016 said:

You most definitely DO need visas for at least some of those countries (we also know a few Egyptians living in various countries - a US Green Card would get around some of the visa requirements for you, but possessing a US visitor visa will not). I'd suggest beginning at the same Wiki I posted above, but choosing the requirements for Egyptian citizens, then following the links at the bottom of the article to get to the source page on the actual government websites - this should point you to the relevant source info without all the of commercial visa service ads that will pop on the first page of any Google search for 'do I need a visa for country X?'

As has been wisely stated already, do not assume that ANYONE is giving you the correct info on this important topic - CHECK IT YOURSELF! Cruiseline customer service agents are notoriously incompetent when it comes to legal matters, and your contract does indeed mean that YOU are responsible for all required documentation!

2 hours ago, martincath said:

You most definitely DO need visas for at least some of those countries (we also know a few Egyptians living in various countries - a US Green Card would get around some of the visa requirements for you, but possessing a US visitor visa will not). I'd suggest beginning at the same Wiki I posted above, but choosing the requirements for Egyptian citizens, then following the links at the bottom of the article to get to the source page on the actual government websites - this should point you to the relevant source info without all the of commercial visa service ads that will pop on the first page of any Google search for 'do I need a visa for country X?'

As has been wisely stated already, do not assume that ANYONE is giving you the correct info on this important topic - CHECK IT YOURSELF! Cruiseline customer service agents are notoriously incompetent when it comes to legal matters, and your contract does indeed mean that YOU are responsible for all required documentation!

On 6/23/2019 at 7:50 PM, JimnKaren said:

OR...call customer service at the cruise line where you want to use. It is their business to know things like this.

Jim

That is the LAST place I would take as the definitive word on visa requirements.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:56 PM, Rico2016 said:

Thank you guys, looks like I have to do my homework and check every country the ship will stopover myself.

Be sure to check the requirements when coming via CRUISE SHIP.  For many countries, they can be different.

Our last cruise, one island country would have my SO (European) to have a visa if entering OTHER than via cruise.  For cruise pax, no visa required.