2 Free at Sea DINING question

Mrs.Murphy

We have chosen the dining package as part of our 2 Free at Sea promotion. We are cruising 14 nights so can have 5 nights dining according to our TA. We are on the Spirit so will we have access to all the chargeable restaurants, which seem to be   Teppanyaki, Sushi, la Trattoria, Cagneys and Le Bistro.

When I log on to My NCL it shows some available reservation times at some of these. Can I book these online now or do you have to wait to you are on board to book as part of the package? I don’t want to reserve and then have to pay when we have the package nights to redeem.

Also if these is no availability do they release more dates and tables on board?

There are "issues" with the online reservation system but NCL is working on it (many threads like yours with similar problems).

Even when the system is working, only about 1/3 of reservations are available online. The rest open on embarkation day. You can continue to try or wait until then.

You don't pay up front if you book, it's simply a reservation.  The charge (if you don't have the package) is at the time of dining as many are a-la-carte so there's no way to know what the charge is until you've ordered.  I looked on the NCL site - the only restaurant listed as NOT being a-la-carte is Teppanyaki.

As noted - more "spots" open on embarkation day.

1 hour ago, Mrs.Murphy said:

We have chosen the dining package as part of our 2 Free at Sea promotion. We are cruising 14 nights so can have 5 nights dining according to our TA. We are on the Spirit so will we have access to all the chargeable restaurants, which seem to be   Teppanyaki, Sushi, la Trattoria, Cagneys and Le Bistro.

When I log on to My NCL it shows some available reservation times at some of these. Can I book these online now or do you have to wait to you are on board to book as part of the package? I don’t want to reserve and then have to pay when we have the package nights to redeem.

Also if these is no availability do they release more dates and tables on board?

You can book now. You are not charged. The general rule is that only about 35% of available reservation slots are made available prior to boarding. If you can't get what you want now, you can always wait until you board.

16 hours ago, Mrs.Murphy said:

you will be fine waiting if you want. We do it both ways and lots of spaces are available for the times you want after you board, but you have to reserve almost the minute you get on the ship. We have 4 of us cruising in Oct. Because one is very particular about times I am going to book us all this week. If I cant get the times I want I will call them or we will just wait until we board. No, they will not charge you or they shouldn't. 

6 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

They don’t open Teppenyaki bookings online on the Spirit. 

This is correct, we were on the Spirit in March.  So if you want a Teppanyaki reservation you have to make it on the ship.  I recommend doing that as soon as you get on.  There were some unhappy people on our last cruise because they couldn't get Teppanyaki.  It's our favorite!

Everyone else is correct about not having to pay when you make the reservation. 

Can you modify reservations online? I accidentally only booked myself for dinner one night, and not my husband and I can't find anywhere to change. I thought I could in the past. 

8 minutes ago, LoraJ said:

Can you modify reservations online? I accidentally only booked myself for dinner one night, and not my husband and I can't find anywhere to change. I thought I could in the past. 

No, you've never been able to.

I did call them and they couldn't change it unless I changed the time and told me it was probably a glitch he didn't get booked with me but to just have him show up with me at the reservation time. But I will probably try and do that one on board. I must have confused this with WDW dining. LOL

Edited by LoraJ

Are 

10 minutes ago, LoraJ said:

I did call them and they couldn't change it unless I changed the time and told me it was probably a glitch he didn't get booked with me but to just have him show up with me at the reservation time. But I will probably try and do that one on board. I must have confused this with WDW dining. LOL

Are you sure he isn't booked with you. The numbers of people booked isn't always clear.

2 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Are 

Are you sure he isn't booked with you. The numbers of people booked isn't always clear.

Yeah, all my other reservations say 2 and our names and for Moderno it says just one, but NCL said it should not be an issue. 

2 minutes ago, LoraJ said:

Yeah, all my other reservations say 2 and our names and for Moderno it says just one, but NCL said it should not be an issue. 

I agree that it won't matter, as there are no single tables for Moderno, so they will seat him no problem.

I'm a bit confused though when you say that your names are on the other reservations. Are they for restaurants, and did you book online or phone? I ask because when you do it online you don't say who you will be eating with. Maybe it's different if you phone?

22 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I agree that it won't matter, as there are no single tables for Moderno, so they will seat him no problem.

I'm a bit confused though when you say that your names are on the other reservations. Are they for restaurants, and did you book online or phone? I ask because when you do it online you don't say who you will be eating with. Maybe it's different if you phone?

I booked the dining reservations online. I thought I put 2 for each reservation (the NCL agent (I called to try and change it to party of 2) thinks I did for Moderno as well but a glitch put 1). All of the other reservations show parties of 2 with both of our names, the Moderno only shows party of 1 and my name. 

3 minutes ago, LoraJ said:

I booked the dining reservations online. I thought I put 2 for each reservation (the NCL agent (I called to try and change it to party of 2) thinks I did for Moderno as well but a glitch put 1). All of the other reservations show parties of 2 with both of our names, the Moderno only shows party of 1 and my name. 

So NCL are saying that it has both your names, rather than you seeing them yourself?

Sorry to keep asking, but this is something that I try to give accurate information out to people and I'm concerned that something may have changed.

When you book restaurant reservations you just say how many people you are booking for, but don't state who the other people will be. The confirmations that you receive just state the times and reservations, and when you print out your reserved items it just says the number of people with no names. Perhaps the system internally makes an assumption regarding who else will be dining with you and that is what they will be seeing.

I'm wondering whether the changes they have made recently may have changed this so that you now have to state the people you are dining with. That could have the potential of changing things considerably when it comes to booking things, for example for multiple rooms or for latitudes meals.

9 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

So NCL are saying that it has both your names, rather than you seeing them yourself?

Sorry to keep asking, but this is something that I try to give accurate information out to people and I'm concerned that something may have changed.

When you book restaurant reservations you just say how many people you are booking for, but don't state who the other people will be. The confirmations that you receive just state the times and reservations, and when you print out your reserved items it just says the number of people with no names. Perhaps the system internally makes an assumption regarding who else will be dining with you and that is what they will be seeing.

I'm wondering whether the changes they have made recently may have changed this so that you now have to state the people you are dining with. That could have the potential of changing things considerably when it comes to booking things, for example for multiple rooms or for latitudes meals.

Ooops, sorry my confusion. I thought it had both our names for the other dinners, but that was shore excursions. Sorry for my air headed replies. 

2 minutes ago, LoraJ said:

Ooops, sorry my confusion. I thought it had both our names for the other dinners, but that was shore excursions. Sorry for my air headed replies. 

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry to keep on asking, but you had me concerned that there had been a change.

Anyway, I think we are all agreed that your reservation should be fine, which is the main thing. 🙂 

• Like 1

Just a heads-up, Sushi is typically a la carte and not included in the dining package. Your other options are all good though. There may also be a Murder Mystery Lunch at some point that you could use a credit for. I have done that in the past on smaller ships and enjoyed it.