What time do we Disembark in Anchorage, Alaska?

Michigan123

It starts about 6:30 AM and continues with the color tag groups at more or less the same pace as any other turnaround port. Disembarkation times are bunched together at specific intervals because transportation from Whittier is tied to the tunnel opening times each hour. So whether you have booked a tour, airport transfer, or private transportation--be on time. You still will have plenty of time for breakfast onboard; no need to be alarmed at how early the ship is alongside (last year on Island Princess we arrived before midnight). The late evening arrival is for sorting and shipping the luggage as virtually all of it will be claimed at either ANC airport or the Egan Center in Anchorage--or sent along on a post cruise land tour--rather than at the pier.

19 hours ago, DougH said:

Note you disembark in Whittier for Anchorage. You will need transportation to the airport in Anchorage

Also, note that Whittier is 60 mi and over 1 hr away from the airport in Anchorage.  IMHO, booking a transfer to the airport thru Princess would be the way to go as I don't know what other ground transportation would be available at Whittier.  Personally, we haven't gone that direction, just have done Anchorage to Seward, which is even further distance.

6 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Also, note that Whittier is 60 mi and over 1 hr away from the airport in Anchorage.  IMHO, booking a transfer to the airport thru Princess would be the way to go as I don't know what other ground transportation would be available at Whittier.  Personally, we haven't gone that direction, just have done Anchorage to Seward, which is even further distance.

Go on line and look for bus transportation from Whittier to the airport or to Anchorage hotels.    I believe it's the same bus line that Princess uses.   They all leave at the same times to make the tunnel.      You can make reservations on line for the bus and it is cheaper then Princess.   We used them last year and there were no issues.   Booking Princess is also good but you just pay more.  

• Like 1

Re the tunnel:  it is one-way as I recall so folks have to take turns in using it; the process is regulated by government/road officials.  We've done this trip in the opposite direction, going TO our ship docked at Seward.  I don't know how many buses Princess uses, but I can't believe they would all leave Whittier at the same time and tie up the tunnel for a long time, which would be very inconvenient for those vehicles coming from Anchorage.  Generally speaking Seward is the port for cargo and people going to Anchorage from the ocean.  Actually the city IS on the water, at the head of a large bay (Cook Inlet).  But only smaller ships are able to sail all the way up there.  Can't remember why, but it may be because of the extreme tides (20 ft at high tide, 7 ft at low tide) they experience  We spent a night or two there before one of our cruises and recommend doing so to others either pre- or post-cruise.  

The whole tunnel thing is very well planned.   The tunnel also has a rail line running through it.   Ship busses are given priority over other vehicles when leaving Whittier and once they get started the line moves very quickly through the tunnel..    I think our bus left at 8:45am   I've read there is only one cruise ship in port at a time.  Once you walk off the ship there are people directing you to the appropriate bus  so there is very little confusion. 

21 hours ago, waltd said:

The whole tunnel thing is very well planned.   The tunnel also has a rail line running through it.   Ship busses are given priority over other vehicles when leaving Whittier and once they get started the line moves very quickly through the tunnel..    I think our bus left at 8:45am   I've read there is only one cruise ship in port at a time.  Once you walk off the ship there are people directing you to the appropriate bus  so there is very little confusion. 

Good to hear!

On 6/26/2019 at 3:42 PM, BarbinMich said:

Re the tunnel:  it is one-way as I recall so folks have to take turns in using it; the process is regulated by government/road officials.  

The tunnel is open for traffic out of Whittier each hour from :00 to :15 from 6:00am to 11:15pm. Into Whittier is from :30 to :45 from 5:30am to 10:45pm. The other 30 minutes of each hour are for traffic to clear and for trains. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 3:38 PM, Michigan123 said:

I am looking at taking a one way cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage in May of 2020. The itinerary on the Princess website shows the ship arriving in Anchorage at 12:30am.  What time do we disembark? 

Just came back from several weeks sailing Alaska from Anchorage to Vancouver. When you disembark the ship from Anchorage yes the ship does arrive at the port at 12:30 a.m. however they don't start getting people off until about 6:30 a.m. as you have to wait for the tunnel to open up where the buses can drive in and out of. They have a very good system on getting people around and about. Cuz keep in mind with Anchorage they don't leave the port on embarkation day till 8:30 in the evening as there's so many people if not like 95% of the ship who has to travel by bus to get in or by train. when I disembarked from Anchorage I was the last group to get off at a very late flight in the evening so I got up around 9:30 AM. Got to have a relaxing morning and breakfast in the main dining room.

Edited by Jeter02
Error

Has anyone had any experience with the Hospitality Center that Princess has in Anchorage?  We arrive on the Golden Princess August 31.  Our flight home is not until 8:30 pm and we are wondering what is the best to do all day in Anchorage.  Is the Hospitality Center near any interesting points to visit? Is it accessible to cabs or Uber transportation?  Do they hold your luggage or is your luggage sent on to the airport? 

Thanks for any advice!