Anthem of The Seas - Warning Unobstructed Balcony

5 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

Exactly.  She purchased an Unobstructed view and got an obstructed view cabin.    The Anthem cabin should also be sold as an obstructed view.    RCI should compensate her.

Unfortunately many cabins on different ships have at least partial obstruction either looking left or right or down to sea. Doubt OP will get better offer rather... Guest Services should have been nicer though not much could do to rectify it.

14 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

This thread is a perfect example that a TA just can't possibly know every nuance and idiosyncrasy of all 1000 cabins on each and every cruise ship all over the world (how many are there??) Homework is necessary, and a simple google search of the cabin number, cabin classification & ship will say so much (plus the images), let alone the search tool at the top right of this page (every Cruise page you visit).

The last bunch of responses again high-light my previous post on this thread bolded above.

12 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Unfortunately many cabins on different ships have at least partial obstruction either looking left or right or down to sea. 

+1. 100% correct. The entire aft cabins of Voyager and Freedom classes are obstructed... you think RCL discounts them for that?

All Radiance and Quantum Class balconies are obstructed looking down as the life boats are there below you whether you're on deck 7 or 13. Many cabins at the hump (the forward or rear edge of the hump for example) are obstructed looking forward or aft. How about the forward balcony cabins directly against the bridge? They're not listed as obstructed.

It's unfortunate as there seems to be a large minority of us who are intimate with the ships and how Royal labels their cabins, which are a great deal and which aren't. It's really up to the Buyer to at the very least look at the deck plans of the cabin that they are buying for themselves.

11 hours ago, johnjen said:

Ugh....is that the smoker's thing? Gross. Yeah, that would need to be reviewed big time, even for me, LOL. Your posts are great btw.

No that is Jamies. They didn't seat people there once the entire 9 days. The smoking section is on starboard side and yes it was gross. We were traveling with 2 who vape and one evening we went out there with them. I didn't last 5 minutes. If you are a smoker you probably could get away with smoking on your balcony and they would think the smoke was coming from the smoking section

You are entitled to get what you pay for. While it may have been impossible for them to get you the cabin due you on that cruise, there should have been a better solution than 20% off your next cruise in 12 months (after all, you may not to choose to cruise during the next year or ever).  I know that empathy at cc is far too rare, but it is completely reasonable for you to be unhappy with this situation and the staff’s lack of concern. And from the photos it looks to me as if this cabin falls under what cruise lines typically define as “obstructed” (it doesn’t require that most or all of the view is blocked). To me it’s not a matter of whether it would bother me or anyone else, but whether they are bothered by the obstruction they paid to avoid.

Sorry that this happened to your family.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 2:00 PM, Hoopster95 said:

+1. 100% correct. The entire aft cabins of Voyager and Freedom classes are obstructed... you think RCL discounts them for that?

All Radiance and Quantum Class balconies are obstructed looking down as the life boats are there below you whether you're on deck 7 or 13. Many cabins at the hump (the forward or rear edge of the hump for example) are obstructed looking forward or aft. How about the forward balcony cabins directly against the bridge? They're not listed as obstructed.

It's unfortunate as there seems to be a large minority of us who are intimate with the ships and how Royal labels their cabins, which are a great deal and which aren't. It's really up to the Buyer to at the very least look at the deck plans of the cabin that they are buying for themselves.

The deck plans are not going to show the type of obstruction that the OP posted. I googled both the OP's room and My room and all that came up was a stock photo of a balcony room on various travel agent websites. 

I believe we were on the same Anthem cruise as OP pjinaz as I may have spoken to you at our post cruise stay in New York.  We are long time sailers with RCCL and this is the first time we had issues with our cabin and the lackluster response from Guest Services and RCCL corporate. 

We had cabin 6680 on the starboard side which is directly above the smoking atrium.  Nothing on cruise ship plans about smoking area.  Make long story short unable to use balcony or open balcony door due to smoke.  RCCL corporate answer offer $75 total cabin credit which we denied.  Guest services managers said it was corporate's decision and they could not do anything.  Manager blames ship design.  Working with TA( big warehouse TA)  to try to resolve issue still no resolution.  Still waiting.

I hope OP gets her issues with RCCL resolved.  As for us may start looking at other cruise lines.

20190615_191040.jpg

Edited by nrdllana
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nrdllana said:

I believe we were on the same Anthem cruise as OP pjinaz as we may have spoken to you while waiting at Guest Services the 5 times we were there during the 5 Day Bermuda cruise.  We are long time sailers with RCCL and this is the first time we had issues with our cabin and the lackluster response from Guest Services and RCCL corporate. 

We had cabin 6680 on the starboard side which is directly above the smoking atrium.  Nothing on cruise ship plans about smoking area.  Make long story short unable to use balcony or open balcony door due to smoke.  RCCL corporate answer offer $75 total cabin credit which we denied.  Guest services managers said it was corporate's decision and they could not do anything.  Manager blames ship design.  Working with TA( big warehouse TA)  to try to resolve issue still no resolution.  Still waiting.

I hope OP gets her issues with RCCL resolved.  As for us may start looking at other cruise lines.

20190615_191040.jpg

Thanks for confirming  the smoke issue. If it wasn’t for the reports on cruise critic that I happened to stumble upon I may have booked that room. I’m sure the smoke travels above deck 6 as well. In the future when considering a cruise I plan on posting a question inquiring about smoking sections. I knew about Jamies which has the exact view but I figured I could deal with the smell of Italian food which never happened.

39 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Thanks for confirming  the smoke issue. If it wasn’t for the reports on cruise critic that I happened to stumble upon I may have booked that room. I’m sure the smoke travels above deck 6 as well. In the future when considering a cruise I plan on posting a question inquiring about smoking sections. I knew about Jamies which has the exact view but I figured I could deal with the smell of Italian food which never happened.

Agree, been on Cruise Critic for 22 yrs and still get good advise. Without learning about this smoking area would never know to avoid it. Second Hand smoke has Triggered Asthma Attacks in my Daughter. She just got off Anthem 2 weeks ago and planning another. Been years since happened to me, but while in High School along with Asthma Attack one my Lungs collapsed.

Edited by ONECRUISER

2 hours ago, nrdllana said:

I believe we were on the same Anthem cruise as OP pjinaz as I may have spoken to you at our post cruise stay in New York.  We are long time sailers with RCCL and this is the first time we had issues with our cabin and the lackluster response from Guest Services and RCCL corporate. 

Hi, yes we did meet you in New York.  I hope you got a better resolution than what was offered on the ship.  Like you, I did do some research prior to the cruise and did not find the balcony to be obstructed.  It is surprising to me that a few on here want to put the blame on the consumer, who does their due diligence and then is treated terribly by ship personnel.  Bottom line, cruise lines should just be truthful with the cabins they are selling.  Other lines do typically list these type of balconies as obstructed.  We had a great time in New York and hope your family did as well.

2 hours ago, nrdllana said:

20190615_191040.jpg

On 6/28/2019 at 8:02 PM, Iamcruzin said:

The deck plans are not going to show the type of obstruction that the OP posted. I googled both the OP's room and My room and all that came up was a stock photo of a balcony room on various travel agent websites. 

You need a better browser. 2nd hit on my search.

Screenshot_20190630-173018_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Except the ones on the middle & forward  humps, all balconies on deck 6 are obstructed  , and balconies on deck 7 are at least  "partially" obstructed by lifeboats, with or without davits,  no matter what deck plans or TAs are saying.

Thanks for the link. I think these two images show what you're talking about:

The Forward Hump on the Quantum / Anthem

Quantum+of+the+Seas+Anthem+of+the+Seas+F

The Middle Recessed In Area

Quantum+of+the+Seas+Anthem+of+the+Seas+R

On 6/25/2019 at 9:05 PM, pjinaz said:

It was cabin 7600, I believe.  I did quite a bit of pre cruise planning and have not had this happen to me in the 25 plus cruises I have been on in the last 20 years.  I understand things happen and I'm sure the ship was full and another room probably wasn't a possibility.  My main issue was they way they handled it.  Being rude and telling me it was my fault for using a travel agent, when their own company says it's not listed as an obstructed balcony.  I would have expected that they would apologize on the spot and give me something, I don't really care what, but to acknowledge there was a problem and try to make me, the customer feel appreciated

balcony.jpg

Oh my gosh, this post--and all the replies--was like deja vu for me. The exact same thing happened to a friend and myself on our Anthem cruise in 2016. We were in cabin 7616 and what you posted was pretty much the view I had. And like you, I checked and double-checked (as did my TA) over multiple phone calls and specifically asked not just "is this obstructed" but also "is there ANY kind of obstruction, even partial" and each time I was told no. Also like you, while most people on CC who responded were sympathetic and even angry on our behalf, there were also posts that minimized the problem or even suggested it was our fault for not knowing how every cabin on every ship works--and actually taking the word of the reps who ARE supposed to know. 

My answer then is the same now: I guess 'minimal' is in the eye of the beholder. As the people sitting on that balcony every day, seeing those posts right in our line of vision and impairing our view of the ocean--even partially-- on a balcony that we had paid extra for just to avoid this situation, did not seem so minimal to me. Yes, if you stood up, your sight line was over the stanchions, and we had a lovely view then--but who buys a balcony to have stand up every time you're out there? And I completely agree--it's not just the obstacle itself, it's the principle. If we had reserved a 'guaranteed' balcony, then I would have been thrilled with this view, knowing it could have been a lot worse. But we didn't do that; we purposely paid extra so that we could be mid-ship and NOT have an obstruction of any kind, so it's like we threw that money away. 

But there was one important way in which my experience was very different than yours; the staff on board was very sympathetic and very helpful.  The desk manager at Guest Services was wonderful. He apologized immediately and offered to move us to another cabin higher high up (2 different ones!!), but unfortunately the friend I was traveling with was very nervous about being on a cruise and wanted only mid-ship, mid-deck. (which is why we didn't do a guaranteed balcony) Since we couldn't move, he then gave us a nice amount of OBC (enough to offset both of our gratuities), and then when I got home, I found out the name of the Customer Relations VP, wrote her, complained some more, and ended up with a voucher for my friend and myself that saved us several hundred dollars each on our next cruise. In fact, the only reason I was willing to sail again with RCL, was because the on board staff was so nice about our problem from the get-go. I'm just sorry that wasn't your experience, and so of course, a voucher to go on another cruise with a company that treated you poorly may not be a particularly  good option for you.

Obviously, RCL needs to stop this sketchy practice of passing off cabins with clear obstructions--even partial--as not obstructed, because 1-a customer should get what they paid for, 2-it shouldn't require the customer to be an expert (that said, I did learn that this stanchions will block your view about every 4 cabins on deck 7--the ones in-between will only have the lifeboat itself underneath), and 3-redress (or even just sympathy and courtesy) for the problem shouldn't depend on who happens to be working on the ship that particular cruise. We both had the exact same problem, yet because of how I was nicely I  was treated, in August I'll be on the 2nd RCL cruise I've taken since the incident but because of how you were treated, you might never sail with them again. 

It seems clear which is the better business model for gaining repeat customers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MsK64 said:

Oh my gosh, this post--and all the replies--was like deja vu for me. The exact same thing happened to a friend and myself on our Anthem cruise in 2016. We were in cabin 7616 and what you posted was pretty much the view I had. And like you, I checked and double-checked (as did my TA) over multiple phone calls and specifically asked not just "is this obstructed" but also "is there ANY kind of obstruction, even partial" and each time I was told no. Also like you, while most people on CC who responded were sympathetic and even angry on our behalf, there were also posts that minimized the problem or even suggested it was our fault for not knowing how every cabin on every ship works--and actually taking the word of the reps who ARE supposed to know. 

My answer then is the same now: I guess 'minimal' is in the eye of the beholder. As the people sitting on that balcony every day, seeing those posts right in our line of vision and impairing our view of the ocean--even partially-- on a balcony that we had paid extra for just to avoid this situation, did not seem so minimal to me. Yes, if you stood up, your sight line was over the stanchions, and we had a lovely view then--but who buys a balcony to have stand up every time you're out there? And I completely agree--it's not just the obstacle itself, it's the principle. If we had reserved a 'guaranteed' balcony, then I would have been thrilled with this view, knowing it could have been a lot worse. But we didn't do that; we purposely paid extra so that we could be mid-ship and NOT have an obstruction of any kind, so it's like we threw that money away. 

But there was one important way in which my experience was very different than yours; the staff on board was very sympathetic and very helpful.  The desk manager at Guest Services was wonderful. He apologized immediately and offered to move us to another cabin higher high up (2 different ones!!), but unfortunately the friend I was traveling with was very nervous about being on a cruise and wanted only mid-ship, mid-deck. (which is why we didn't do a guaranteed balcony) Since we couldn't move, he then gave us a nice amount of OBC (enough to offset both of our gratuities), and then when I got home, I found out the name of the Customer Relations VP, wrote her, complained some more, and ended up with a voucher for my friend and myself that saved us several hundred dollars each on our next cruise. In fact, the only reason I was willing to sail again with RCL, was because the on board staff was so nice about our problem from the get-go. I'm just sorry that wasn't your experience, and so of course, a voucher to go on another cruise with a company that treated you poorly may not be a particularly  good option for you.

Obviously, RCL needs to stop this sketchy practice of passing off cabins with clear obstructions--even partial--as not obstructed, because 1-a customer should get what they paid for, 2-it shouldn't require the customer to be an expert (that said, I did learn that this stanchions will block your view about every 4 cabins on deck 7--the ones in-between will only have the lifeboat itself underneath), and 3-redress (or even just sympathy and courtesy) for the problem shouldn't depend on who happens to be working on the ship that particular cruise. We both had the exact same problem, yet because of how I was nicely I  was treated, in August I'll be on the 2nd RCL cruise I've taken since the incident but because of how you were treated, you might never sail with them again. 

It seems clear which is the better business model for gaining repeat customers. 

I can’t speak to all of Royal Caribbean but the customer service on Anthem was the worst that I have experienced on any cruise line. I’m really not surprised about the way the OP was treated.  As far as how other cruise critic members placed the blame on the OP that’s par for the course on any of the boards. 

53 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not easy on a tablet either.  

Sorry!! Not sure what happened. I wrote in a plain 'print' font in a normal size, so I don't know how or why it ended up looking different from the reader's point of view. When I look at it online, it looks pretty much as I wrote it, albeit a bit smaller. Anyhow,  I'm cutting and pasting my original comment here in a different and bigger font; maybe it will work better. 

But regardless, my points remains the same--this business with the  Anthem deck 7 partially obstructed cabins has to stop, and good customer service shouldn't be a crap shoot that some people win and others lose. 

"Oh my gosh, this post--and all the replies--was like deja vu for me. The exact same thing happened to a friend and myself on our Anthem cruise in 2016. We were in cabin 7616 and what you posted was pretty much the view I had. And like you, I checked and double-checked (as did my TA) over multiple phone calls and specifically asked not just "is this obstructed" but also "is there ANY kind of obstruction, even partial" and each time I was told no. Also like you, while most people on CC who responded were sympathetic and even angry on our behalf, there were also posts that minimized the problem or even suggested it was our fault for not knowing how every cabin on every ship works--and actually taking the word of the reps who ARE supposed to know. 

But there was one important way in which my experience was very different than yours; the staff on board was very sympathetic and very helpful.  The desk manager at Guest Services was wonderful. He apologized immediately and offered to move us to another cabin higher high up (2 different ones!!), but unfortunately the friend I was traveling with was very nervous about being on a cruise and wanted only mid-ship, mid-deck. (which is why we didn't do a guaranteed balcony) Since we couldn't move, he then gave us a nice amount of OBC (enough to offset both of our gratuities), and then when I got home, I found out the name of the Customer Relations VP, wrote her, complained some more, and ended up with a voucher for my friend and myself that saved us several hundred dollars each on our next cruise. In fact, the only reason I was willing to sail again with RCL, was because the on board staff was so nice about our problem from the get-go. I'm just sorry that wasn't your experience, and so of course, a voucher to go on another cruise with a company that treated you poorly may not be a particularly  good option for you.

Obviously, RCL needs to stop this sketchy practice of passing off cabins with clear obstructions--even partial--as not obstructed, because 1-a customer should get what they paid for, 2-it shouldn't require the customer to be an expert (that said, I did learn that this stanchions will block your view about every 4 cabins on deck 7--the ones in-between will only have the lifeboat itself underneath), and 3-redress (or even just sympathy and courtesy) for the problem shouldn't depend on who happens to be working on the ship that particular cruise. We both had the exact same problem, yet because of how I was nicely I  was treated, in August I'll be on the 2nd RCL cruise I've taken sincethe incident but because of how you were treated, you might never sail with them again. 

It seems clear which is the better business model for gaining repeat customers. "

• Thanks 1

I am not disputing a word of anyone's reports, but I just want to say that one thing that one needs to learn quickly in the world  of Royal Caribbean is that the phone reps not only don't know everything, they often don't know much of anything.

You must learn to gather your correct information elsewhere, because those people don't have it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am not disputing a word of anyone's reports, but I just want to say that one thing that one needs to learn quickly in the world  of Royal Caribbean is that the phone reps not only don't know everything, they often don't know much of anything. ...

And they are loath to say "I don't know", so it seems as if they pick answers randomly off some list they are given.

• Like 1

I had 6628 on Anthem. I was worried about smoke after reading reviews here, but not sure if that was the smoking area. There was definitely some kind of lounge area below. No smoke, but one night a group of teens hung out there and it was very loud into the the early morning hours. 

Edited by marci22

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am not disputing a word of anyone's reports, but I just want to say that one thing that one needs to learn quickly in the world  of Royal Caribbean is that the phone reps not only don't know everything, they often don't know much of anything.

You must learn to gather your correct information elsewhere, because those people don't have it.

That advise goes for all cruise lines. Unfortunately new cruisers depend on travel agents and phone reps to advise them because they have no experience and bad information isn’t limited to obstructed views and deck plans.  This is also an example of the fact that travel agents can’t always pull rank and get you what you want.

54 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I had 6628 on Anthem. I was worried about smoke after reading reviews here, but not sure if that was the smoking area. There was definitely some kind of lounge area below. No smoke, but one night a group of teens hung out there and it was very loud into the the early morning hours. 

That was the smoking area. We traveled with 2 that vape and they couldn’t stay too long in the area during peak times in the evening. I’m happy it didn’t bother you.

Having worked in Disney World resort reservations, I can tell you that many people who work for a travel outfit have never experienced it.  I was making $7.25 per hour in 1996 when I went to work for them and while we got free park admission, most of us couldn't afford to stay overnight in the hotels on any kind of regular basis.

Sometimes, during low seasons, they give people the opportunity to experience the product at a steep discount.  

So maybe, if you are lucky, a reservation agent might have been on one cruise, one time, on one ship - likely an inside guarantee.  These jobs are low paying, tedious as you have to listen to a lot of complaints and your time per call is measured to keep things efficient, and have high turnover. Maybe they have other income and cruise every chance they get, but it's not very likely. There is no way the average person at the reservation center is an expert on every cabin type, much less each deck and specific cabin.

I wouldn't be too certain most travel agents are either.  There are an awful lot of ships to keep straight and there are a lot of cabins on each.  They are also just looking at what the computer says: balcony cabin vs. obstructed balcony cabin.  As many have mentioned the best option is to research on your own. And then research some more. 

Even still, it wouldn't kill RCI to classify these rooms as "partially obstructed." The rudeness of the GS agent suggests to me that she has heard this one a million times and is not empowered to do anything about it, which is a shame and a sign of burnout. Even just a patient explanation of the ship being full with a promise to see if they could do anything, followed by some small token gift, a cake or a bottle of wine delivered to the room, or a modest OBC, would have obviously helped.

• Like 1