Millennium NB Alaska Cruise Review 6/7/19

plagmah

3 minutes ago, linstadt said:

I'm on a shore excursion from ship, via floatplane. It's not on the list of excursions any more (at least a few days ago) but they also have one by boat. I don't believe you get out of the boat on this one. The floatplane one, which I hope is the same one I did before, we get out of plane and walk the paths to the stream where the salmon are running. There is a platform just a tad above the stream, you are there with the bears. Walking back to the plane, you see trees where the sap is running from the bears scratching the bark, their sleeping areas, old boat, I loved it!!! Just hope it hasn't changed from what I remember.

I was looking for that excursion but never saw it. When are you going? I don't think it was ever offered for us because we are going Mid June.

We emissedit on our HAL cruise because it was booked up.

Edited by cruisingnewtoit

19 minutes ago, linstadt said:

How close where you???? WOW. What where you in, a vehicle?

We were in a bus on Skagway tour to Yukon.  Saw 4 bears. Pics taken out the window. Distance 10-15 feet. One bear walked up to bus !!?!  It was amazing. 

Our driver turned around and parked for pics. ( a benefit of bus over train). 

438BAE8C-1F9B-40F9-9AA0-24F81B145DB9.jpeg

B1F23FD8-9874-45E9-8539-8AEB6772FAFC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Just now, plagmah said:

We were in a bus on Skagway tour to Yukon.  Saw 4 bears. Pics taken out the window. Distance 10-15 feet. One bear walked up to bus !!?!  It was amazing. 

Our driver turned around and parked for pics. ( a benefit of bus over train). 

438BAE8C-1F9B-40F9-9AA0-24F81B145DB9.jpeg

B1F23FD8-9874-45E9-8539-8AEB6772FAFC.jpeg

Yay I have hope that I will see some. I haven't picked out my excursion for Skagway after learning Neets Bay was a no go because I was going in June.

16 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

I was looking for that excursion but never saw it. When are you going? I don't think it was ever offered for us because we are going Mid June.

We emissedit on our HAL cruise because it was booked up.

It probably wasn't since salmon season is usually July-August. Wow, looking for these pictures, it was Sept 2, 2010 when I was last there. I was on a HAL ship that time. You can see from the pictures that mesh is only for keeping the salmon in area, not keep bears in or out. The viewing platform is right next to water. Fabulous trip, well worth the money. These were taken when I got my first Nikon D5000 and I was learning how to use the camera, most likely auto! Lens 70-300, some taken at 300mm

neets bay bear 4.jpg

neets bay viewing.jpg

neets bay 5.jpg

neets bay bear 9.jpg

neets bay bear 5.jpg

neets bay bear 7.jpg

10 minutes ago, linstadt said:

It probably wasn't since salmon season is usually July-August. Wow, looking for these pictures, it was Sept 2, 2010 when I was last there. I was on a HAL ship that time. You can see from the pictures that mesh is only for keeping the salmon in area, not keep bears in or out. The viewing platform is right next to water. Fabulous trip, well worth the money. These were taken when I got my first Nikon D5000 and I was learning how to use the camera, most likely auto! Lens 70-300, some taken at 300mm

neets bay bear 4.jpg

neets bay viewing.jpg

neets bay 5.jpg

neets bay bear 9.jpg

neets bay bear 5.jpg

neets bay bear 7.jpg

Your pictures are beautiful.

We went to Alaska mid August on HAL in 2018. We did see a bear with their cub in a rainforest sanctuary but it definitely was not the same.

Hopefully we will see some bears in icy strait.

Edited by cruisingnewtoit

31 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Your pictures are beautiful.

We went to Alaska mid August on HAL in 2018. We did see a bear with their cub in a rainforest sanctuary but it definitely was not the same.

Hopefully we will see some bears in icy strait.

We were told a momma and cub hung out on a ridge as you walked into Hoonah Didn’t see any on our trip. 

Lots of eagles at icy Point strait 

Good luck! 

9EED545B-9DDD-4945-8B7E-1E253DDC2405.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2handslice said:

What time for dinner reservations would you recommend to get the most out of the shows etc... ?

That is tough. A full 2 hours for dinner and desert. We did 530 and had to leave before dessert to make show. 

I guess do early show and 8pm dinner. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for your review and the photos of the newly renovated cabin. As prospective Millennium cruisers who suffer from allergies to chemical smells, could I trouble you to let me know whether or not you smelled any "new room" smell from the furniture or carpet? 

On 7/23/2019 at 7:23 AM, Allergee said:

Thanks so much for your review and the photos of the newly renovated cabin. As prospective Millennium cruisers who suffer from allergies to chemical smells, could I trouble you to let me know whether or not you smelled any "new room" smell from the furniture or carpet? 

No we didn’t have any new paint smell.  

• 2 weeks later...

Very helpful review. Do you know if room service is free and if you can order the night before?  We are going Northbound next week and have very early morning excursions. Thanks.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:05 PM, Buffan said:

Very helpful review. Do you know if room service is free and if you can order the night before?  We are going Northbound next week and have very early morning excursions. Thanks.

No charge for room service.  We did not order in advance so I don't know if that was available.  sorry

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

any noise from the treatment rooms above. im thinking of summit and only thing left is under the treatment rooms

No we never heard any noise from above or below.  We did hear a little from cabins on either side.  

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 8:19 PM, plagmah said:

I have finally completed my trip report. It was a GREAT cruise.  I will be happy to answer any questions.  

Alaska Cruise Review.pdf 3.69 MB · 1,114 downloads

Great review, we are doing the reverse (Seward to Vancouver) May 2022.  A long way off, but never too early to plan!!!  I'm putting some of your tips in my saved spreadsheet for Alaska.  THANK YOU!