Who all do you tip/extra tip?

mama_2_boys

19 hours ago, familyoutdoors said:

This past cruise our dining team got extra, but room steward only got auto. He didn't give poor service, he just didn't give anything extra. First cruise so far that I cannot even remember his name. 

Doing excursions and tours?  Both  the driver and guide.  Also, a thank you, I had a great time and leaving a review on tripadvisor later means so much to them! 

So glad to hear you tip the tour guide and driver!  We don’t see very many who do.  It’s sad because most of them keep you entertained and informed!

We usually tell our room Stewart not to sweat cleaning our room.  Whenever he has time  is fine. My house is only cleaned every two weeks and we are pretty neat people.  They are so overworked.  Some tell me they have to in case their superior checks up on them

we usually tip extra $20 for ice and sharp container and all the other extras.  

We we usually tip extra the bar tenders at whatever our favorite bars are for the week.  We get Cheers, it seems we get a little better service.  My husband likes to drink grey goose vx, and they kept it in the mini frig for him.  One night the girl came running in bringing in another bottle so they would have enough for us. It’s $17 a shot and you have to ask for it.  Only 2 bars on the Splender had it.  They usually have it at the steakhouse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BNBR said:

They increase the workload because they have to cut costs. You know they have unheard of work levels, you know they are being abused, but dang it, you are getting your twice a day service, screw that overworked steward.  Right? 

As I said, that's not my style. Carnival clearly is trying to go to once a day and navigate how to do that without upsetting entitled guests. While at the same time providing a much cheaper cruise experience compared to other lines... 

Very well said.  Carnival is trying keeps cost down.  Most of the other lines are higher price so they can have more help.  Also from my experience, I paid a lot more for my cruise and gratuities on the 3 other lines I’ve cruise on.

• Like 1

Once I found out these people are excluded from the tip pool, I make sure to give them each a little something:

1) The guys who dress up as pirates and hold a plastic knife to your neck for a picture as you get off the ship at ports.

2) The guys who drag artwork back and forth between the closet and the art auction room all cruise long.

3) The person who has to keep adding reams of paper to the copier each night as they print 2,000 copies of the Fun Times.

4) The under-paid under-appreciated guy you see walking around with the "Good Humor"-like white uniform and 4 gold stripes on his shoulders.

5) Those guys who change the tiny light bulbs in the chandelier hanging 70' up in the atrium lobby.

6) Those people who sort through all the garbage by hand, separating out recyclables.

7) The person who rips thousands of little tiny pieces of red and blue paper and gives them to the stateroom stewards to use as eyes on the towel animals.

Edited by crooooze

46 minutes ago, crooooze said:

Once I found out these people are excluded from the tip pool, I make sure to give them each a little something:

1) The guys who dress up as pirates and hold a plastic knife to your neck for a picture as you get off the ship at ports.

2) The guys who drag artwork back and forth between the closet and the art auction room all cruise long.

3) The person who has to keep adding reams of paper to the copier each night as they print 2,000 copies of the Fun Times.

4) The under-paid under-appreciated guy you see walking around with the "Good Humor"-like white uniform and 4 gold stripes on his shoulders.

5) Those guys who change the tiny light bulbs in the chandelier hanging 70' up in the atrium lobby.

6) Those people who sort through all the garbage by hand, separating out recyclables.

7) The person who rips thousands of little tiny pieces of red and blue paper and gives them to the stateroom stewards to use as eyes on the towel animals.

We'd have to go on another cruise to relax after all that.

I pay everything in cash what isn't already prepaid..I use cash in port.we never had room service.I figure what I need start to finish and always bring home money.but do bring ones,fives and tens.in port they sometimes conveniently have no change for your purchases.they don't catch me off guard but one time.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:22 AM, mdsgu said:

According to John Heald, your brilliant cabin steward is more than happy to put FUN into your cruise and service your cabin once or twice daily, whichever you would prefer.

I fail to see his purpose.

• Like 2

I pretty much tip all the extra people mentioned as well as my Room Steward and any servers that are exceptional, including Dining Room staff.  I also either take a note pad or put the info into the "notes" section on my phone, any crew member that goes above and beyond.  I ALWAYS fill out my comment card and make sure to mention them especially.  Everyone has mentioned financial tipping and that's EXTREMELY important.  But don't forget to fill out those comment cards and mention that incredible service.  

Edited by CruizCuz
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 10:39 PM, mama_2_boys said:

Trying to determine how much cash to take for tips. It's been a long time since we've cruised. We always tip extra for good service to our stewards, bartenders and wait staff. We make sure to tip porters and room service. Am I forgetting anyone obvious?

Auto gratuities work best and then you can take some cash to tip those who go above and beyond.  It is also important to tip the room service person.