Scooter on Royal Caribbean Navigator or Wheelchair?

lsfla

We are taking a cruise soon on RCCL Navigator for my mother's 90th birthday. She is recently out of hospital and has some mobility issues. We were going to try and rent a wheelchair but she wants an electric scooter so she has more independence on the ship. Has anyone used an electric scooter on Navigator? Is it doable? If so, does anyone have any ideas on how we can get her on for the weekend cruise out of Port of Miami?

If she isn't familiar with scooters, you may want to take her to a mobility store in your area so she can try one to see how she likes it.   Also, with a scooter you will need an accessible stateroom to accommodate the scooter.   You cannot park them in the hallway.   You can check with Royal's access department to see what they recommend if you do rent a scooter and do not have an accessible stateroom.  In any event, you need to contact Royal's access department to let them know you are bringing either device.   Here is some information from their website, and some specific to the Navigator:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/printAccessibilityInformation.do?pagename=accessible_features_NV

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

I called RCCL and they gave me the size of what would fit in a regular room and the 3 wheel Pride GoGo scooter  fits into a regular stateroom. I plan on renting one from Scootaround as I just have trouble walking far and would be easier with having a scooter. Don't have one at home

My question is if anyone knows will they rent one that can be picked up in the terminal(Tampa) vs the stateroom and if so where do you return it?

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, smalltimecruiser100 said:

I called RCCL and they gave me the size of what would fit in a regular room and the 3 wheel Pride GoGo scooter  fits into a regular stateroom. I plan on renting one from Scootaround as I just have trouble walking far and would be easier with having a scooter. Don't have one at home

My question is if anyone knows will they rent one that can be picked up in the terminal(Tampa) vs the stateroom and if so where do you return it?

You can ask for wheelchair assistance in the terminal. They will push you in a wheelchair onto the ship and take you to your cabin to pick up your scooter. On debarkation day, you leave your scooter in your cabin or take it to the wheelchair debarkation area and then they will take you off the ship in a wheelchair.

3 hours ago, meatloafsfan said:

You can ask for wheelchair assistance in the terminal. They will push you in a wheelchair onto the ship and take you to your cabin to pick up your scooter. On debarkation day, you leave your scooter in your cabin or take it to the wheelchair debarkation area and then they will take you off the ship in a wheelchair.

That fine but if the cabin is not ready yet. Opens at 1pm usually.  How would I get the scooter to go to the windjammer for lunch. Would they let me get the scooter before they open up the cabins? I usually board(when they first call for boarding) in order to have lunch on board in the windjammer before it gets too crowded.

Edited by smalltimecruiser100

5 minutes ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

That fine but if the cabin is not ready yet. Opens at 1pm usually.  How would I get the scooter to go to the windjammer for lunch. Would they let me get the scooter before they open up the cabins? I usually board(when they first call for boarding) in order to have lunch on board in the windjammer before it gets too crowded.

Never had any issue getting in to access my accessible device, even when I’ve taken my own chair and needed to recharge.

20 hours ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

Even if the cabins aren't ready, they'll still let you get the scooter.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:07 AM, smalltimecruiser100 said:

I would call Scootaround and ask them what their set-up is for picking up the scooter in Tampa for your date and ship.  

Leaving out of Ft Lauderdale, we have had it both ways (in the room and pick-up at the terminal) but it depends on which ship, date and where you are docked.