Excursions - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Puerto Costa Maya

I wanted to take this cruise to enjoy the ship and not get off at any ports. However, I just want to be sure I am not missing out on something that is a great excursion. Please let me know if you have been to any of these ports and there are any great excursions we could do. I would prefer not to spend a ton of money! Thank you!

If you have never did it, I would recommend sting ray city in grand cayman, do not do ships tour, have heard many good things about captain Marvin tours. We really just enjoy walking around Cozumel cost  is about 7 dollar for taxi , great for window shopping, fun bars and restaurants at very reasonable prices. Also like asking fellow roll call members, might be able to take tour with other and save money. 

Just now, Kharwood said:

Thank you, my husband is worried about getting off the boat in Mexico. Is there anything that we should be worried about?

Nope, not a thing.  Well, I wouldn't rent a car in Cozumel, but it doesn't sound like you are likely to do that.

17 minutes ago, Kharwood said:

Thank you, my husband is worried about getting off the boat in Mexico. Is there anything that we should be worried about?

I agree with others , been to Cozumel twenty or more times , never worried about safety. Just be careful in jewelry stores, wife wanted a necklace or something started at about 600, finally I said 150 they said no way, we walked out after we got a half block away they yelled at us that 150 was good. They will give you beer and tequila while shopping just do not drink to much of it 😄😄

I have not yet been, but am spending next Friday at Maya Chan in Costa Maya after getting multiple recommendations here and reading reviews on Trip Advisor. 

$59/pp for transportation, food and drinks. Everyone gets their own reserved space and capacity is limited to something like 80 people. Owners have been fantastic about communication. I have a general rule about not doing non-cruise excursions (even if it means paying more) after almost getting left behind years ago. But after thorough research, I am definitely comfortable making this exception. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

I have not yet been, but am spending next Friday at Maya Chan in Costa Maya after getting multiple recommendations here and reading reviews on Trip Advisor. 

$59/pp for transportation, food and drinks. Everyone gets their own reserved space and capacity is limited to something like 80 people. Owners have been fantastic about communication. I have a general rule about not doing non-cruise excursions (even if it means paying more) after almost getting left behind years ago. But after thorough research, I am definitely comfortable making this exception. 

We've done Maya Chan twice and have been very pleased.  Looks like they raised their price a bit, I think we paid $55 last time.  Don't get discouraged by the bumpy ride there, it's part of the adventure.

31 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

We've done Maya Chan twice and have been very pleased.  Looks liek they raised their price a bit, I think we paid $55 last time.  Don't get discouraged by the bumpy ride there, it's part of the adventure.

Taxi rates have gone up in Costa Maya, which is probably a contributing factor.

Still probably the most affordable AI option around, though!

14 hours ago, Kharwood said:

Like any other place, just keep your good sense about you. Don't take off the boat more money or cards than you need. Leave the fancy jewels and other valuables in the safe. Don't wander down strange paths. Don't allow yourself to get so drunk that you get taken advantage of. 

Cozumel is a tourist town. If word got out that tourists are in trouble, it would destroy the local economy, and everyone know that. Having said that, I've never left the island so I can't speak to the mainland near Cozumel.

We will next week be doing a tour in Progresso, but it's through the ship. Only other time we have been to Progresso, we didn't leave the port area. 

Cozumel is a  very safe island,  not connected to the mainland,  any problems- they just shut the ferry.

Tours:

Cozumel we love island marketing.  Used them many times, even set up tour for 25 people. 

Grand Cayman= Captain Marvin's,  hell, turtle farm, other interesting stops.

Costa Maya, has great port area with large pool, restaurants, bars  shopping..., or taxi to the Malecon (boardwalk ) for massages, restaurants,  bars, shops... or The Native choice tour company to the Chaccobean ruins(great, fantastic time).

Safe sailing- Enjoy

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

We did Maya Chan in Costa Maya and thought it was great but our favorite excursion to date was Trikes-Bikes in Cozumel.  It was unbelievable and we never felt unsafe at all.  Read the reviews on Trip Advisor they're great.

I'm assuming this is Trikes Cozumel? Did you have a guide and was it with a group? or by yourself?

Yes it is Trikes Cozumel.  We did have a guide who was awesome.  It ended up being just hubby and myself but it usually is a group excursion.  The guide toured Cozumel with numerous stops along the way.  We finished with lunch and a tequila tasting and then they brought us back to the ship and dropped us at the port entrance (also where they picked up us).  I would definitely do this excursion again. 

15 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

Yes it is Trikes Cozumel.  We did have a guide who was awesome.  It ended up being just hubby and myself but it usually is a group excursion.  The guide toured Cozumel with numerous stops along the way.  We finished with lunch and a tequila tasting and then they brought us back to the ship and dropped us at the port entrance (also where they picked up us).  I would definitely do this excursion again. 

Thank you! It looks like something my husband would want to do! He likes the Jeep/4x4 tours and I like the tequila and lunch! As long as he is able to drive he will love it! 

32 minutes ago, Kharwood said:

Thank you! It looks like something my husband would want to do! He likes the Jeep/4x4 tours and I like the tequila and lunch! As long as he is able to drive he will love it! 

My husband was the same way and he loved driving the trike. The Trikes are pretty new and very well maintained. 

• Like 1

Grand Cayman was one of my absolute favorite ports of call when I cruised with my parents; it's absolutely beautiful and there's so much to do. There's a sulfurous rock formation called Hell that is just really neat (it even has its own post office), the beaches are gorgeous, Stingray City is a lot of fun, the turtle farm is pretty cool, and there's this neat off-the-wall place called Doc Carey's Black Coral Clinic. I met the man himself when I was younger and he's a real character. He crafts beautiful black coral jewelry and collects marbles and women's bikinis, because why not. He's got some great stories and just about anyone who sells black coral jewelry or sculptures on the island have heard about him or know him. And there's the Tortuga Rum Cake factory, which in my opinion is an absolute don't miss. (The last cruise we went there on, my mom actually asked how many rum cakes she'd be legally allowed to bring back into the States, then bought that many. I felt like a drug mule carrying them back in!) 

• Like 1

We just returned and in Costa Maya we did Jaime's at the Blue Reef.  I read great reviews of both Jaime's and Maya Chan.  Maya Chan was booked so we went with Jaime's.  $8 Taxi ride.  Personal palapa, really good food, drinks were as plentiful as wanted, and my wife said the beach massage (I think it was $20/45 minutes - originally said $35, but it was a slow day and later came and offered for $20) was better than any she has gotten in the States!

In Cozumel, we did the 3-reef snorkel, though the ship.  It was also a great time.  Small group (maybe 10-14 people) and a great crew.  Beautiful water, reef, and snorkeling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reeb4 said:

We just returned and in Costa Maya we did Jaime's at the Blue Reef.  I read great reviews of both Jaime's and Maya Chan.  Maya Chan was booked so we went with Jaime's.  $8 Taxi ride.  Personal palapa, really good food, drinks were as plentiful as wanted, and my wife said the beach massage (I think it was $20/45 minutes - originally said $35, but it was a slow day and later came and offered for $20) was better than any she has gotten in the States!

In Cozumel, we did the 3-reef snorkel, though the ship.  It was also a great time.  Small group (maybe 10-14 people) and a great crew.  Beautiful water, reef, and snorkeling.

Both of those places look fantastic!

6 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:

This place does look fantastic! I am definitely going to try to get my husband to go!

19 hours ago, Kharwood said:

Absolutely not!  We get off the ship and head to Paradise Beach all the time.  Awesome beach day!  Gorgeous beach, beautiful pool, grounds are so well kept.  Food/drink reasonable.  $15 each way from the port for up to 4 people.  We love it there!!!

19 hours ago, Kharwood said:

Please let me know if you have been to any of these ports and there are any great excursions we could do. I would prefer not to spend a ton of money! Thank you!

I guess it depends what  "a ton of money" means to you... $10? $100??

There are a ton of "private" beach clubs in Costa Maya to choose from, some better than others. #1 one is Maya Chan in my opinion. Last time in Cost Maya, I booked a cruise last minute (3 months out) and Maya Chan was fully booked. After some research I booked Yaya Beach Club all-inclusive

https://www.yayabeachclub.com/

IMG_9787.JPG

IMG_9789.JPG

IMG_9790.JPG

Cozumel:

So much to do here... do not be lazy and walk around the port for 1/2 hour and then complain about how disappointing the port is.

Chakanaab Park is a $10 taxi and makes for a superb day!  https://www.cozumelparks.com/en/home/

The all-inclusive Nachi Cocum is a great beach club.  http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/

My favorite thing to do is rent an open air jeep for the day and drive around the island, stopping at various beaches and bars, rock formations/blow holes, DIY tour through San Gervasio Mayan ruins, etc

Have fun planning and have a great cruise! 😊

Edited by Hoopster95

Forgot to mention one of my favorite days off a cruise ship in the Caribbean/Mexico....

I visited the 2 Mayan ruins of Dzibanche & Kohunlich from Costa Maya... they're about 2 hours away from the port, so I feel a cruise sponsored excursion is necessary to ensure the transportation from that distance. RCL offers this as one of their excursions... should be in your cruise planner. These ruins were fantastic to visit, and at the time we were able to climb ... don't know if that's true today

DSC06857_zps68d43c3e.jpg

DSC06902_zps2ccae480.jpg