Internet on Riviera - question

wren777

Are  those that have problems using a computer or  an ipad/phone?

I ask because some on one of our cruises  had some problems when using their phones to connect  but also we did have some areas when the  system was just down  on Marina

Just curious as I am not a techie but seemed those in the line up at the computer desk all had phones with them ??

Excellent point. We are on Rome to Venice.  Open waters at night, in ports nearly every day.  I think in this case it has more to do with the combination of the system on the ship and unlimited internet per stateroom. 

But the rest of the cruise? absolutely fantastic. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

What cruise region?  Is it one that is notoriously difficult to get a satellite signal to connect to the internet, or is it one where it's the ship's wifi deficiency.

It has very little to do with location and more to do with router saturation by all of the end user devices (iPhones, iPads, laptops, etc) trying to continually bind up to a nearby router, especially in cabin areas whether or not they are actively logged onto their ship’s account or not, and knocking the oldest end user connection off the router. 

Now add to that slow internet speeds where it takes 1-3 minutes to perform an upload function (email, file transfer, etc) and if your connection gets bumped off the router before it finishes, you have to start all over. That gets really frustrating. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

On our May Western Mediterranean cruise on Riviera, my iPhone had best results at the way aft outdoor section of the Terrace Cafe (my favorite breakfast spot), as others reported above, and late in the evening when fellow cruisers were asleep.  

It was enough for me to check email and basic news.  I never tried to send photos, files, etc. Too many cruisers staying online all day since it became free!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

On our May Western Mediterranean cruise on Riviera, my iPhone had best results at the way aft outdoor section of the Terrace Cafe (my favorite breakfast spot), as others reported above, and late in the evening when fellow cruisers were asleep.  

It was enough for me to check email and basic news.  I never tried to send photos, files, etc. Too many cruisers staying online all day since it became free!

This is helpful -- many thanks!

3 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Too late to edit. 

My apologies, our May cruise was on Marina, not Riviera. We love them both! 😁

How was the reception in your cabin? Were you able to check your mail and basic news there too or did you have to go to the aft outdoor section to get internet service?

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

How was the reception in your cabin? Were you able to check your mail and basic news there too or did you have to go to the aft outdoor section to get internet service?

The service was usually fine there at the right hours: often, not always, OK there in the morning after the ship’s tours left, definitely worst in the left afternoon/early evening when everyone was onboard and best after 11 at night.

• Like 1

Best answer is to throttle people trying to upload or download large files. One can upload those 1000 pictures to the cloud after you get home!

Block Internet coverage in the Lounges. Then a 17:00 people can either guess at the trivia questions or just embarrass themselves by getting up and walking down to guest services to google the answers. 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Best answer is to throttle people trying to upload or download large files.

I assume you mean throttle the bandwidth, not the passengers...or maybe not 😎😁🤗

Edited by 1985rz1